2014 - Sheridan College (Animation, Illustration and Game Design) Hopefuls - Page 8

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by curlyfries View Post
    Are you In ontario? I think mailing times are faster the closer you are
    No, I'm in Alberta. I'll probably mail it so it gets there in a day. I don't think that they actually look at the mail in portfolios until after the drop off ones are finished up.

As long as it's mailed before the 14th, the post office will stamp it with a date which is the date that they go by to check if you mailed it off in time. Having people mail it off early and then marking them some time later allows the mailed in portfolios to get there to be marked, even if it takes a couple of days to get to them.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by onupa View Post
    So how is it going for everybody? If you have to mail in like me, that date is coming up on Friday! I have to finish up my storyboards and still life pieces still, then I put it all together, print it, and send it off! And then I'll be done, and can relax. While I update the admission page on Access Sheridan 20 times a day.
    I'm stressing out so much omg, I've been working on it every day but I still have to have all these school projects for midterms done this week so I'm just over here dying don't mind me

My storyboards are giving me heck, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get my illustration portfolio done, I haven't even touched it lmao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I'm having a little problem with the character design. I just don't know where to begin What do you guys think of when you design characters?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Misso, if you're just doing conceptional development on your character I would keep really simple as you don't have a lot time but it's still possible. I like to start off either a personality or a stereotype and then work out super simple silhouettes that reflect them. Try super basic shapes and keep adding more detail as you develop. Flipping through coffee table books or just books with a lot of interesting visuals, helps too. Good luck.

Like this:
    Name:  aladdin_char_style.jpg
Views: 4003
Size:  420.8 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shrimp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by misso View Post
    Hey guys, I'm having a little problem with the character design. I just don't know where to begin What do you guys think of when you design characters?
    To decide what type of character to draw, it is a good idea to start off with stereotypes, like shrimp said. I look at some other artists' work, movies, just anything that I like and pull from that. For mine, I had seen a drawing of a character from the movie Moonrise Kingdom, so I felt like drawing a scout character. I didn't want to draw a child though, so I drew a scout master. Gather reference together, such as outfits and props. Just Google for this reference.

Once I had decided that I was doing a scout master, I started on doing some silhouettes (also like shrimp said). I went through these:
    Name:  jekyllSilhouettes - Copy.png
Views: 760
Size:  292.3 KB

In this step, I'm just scribbling out shapes. Not worried about it looking good, not going into ANY detail at all. Just blobs. It's all right to put a bit of personality in if you want, but the important thing here is just shapes.

After that, choose a couple you like and play with the shapes some more, do a couple variations on silhouettes, take the head from one, put it on the body of another, mix and match. After that I chose one shape that I liked and did some more actual character drawings on top, like this:
    Name:  jekyllWork copy.png
Views: 727
Size:  124.6 KB

You can see the silhouette I chose there, and a bunch of drawings that have the same overall shape, but I mixed some stuff up. Once you have one you like, polish it up some more until it is a character that you think is great.

At this point, I ended up doing more stuff on paper, so I don't have some scans, but I ended up changing his outfit a bit and deciding to ditch the whole beard idea. So this is what I ended up with:
    Name:  scoutMaster.PNG
Views: 709
Size:  218.0 KB

So to recap: if you are hitting a brick wall with WHAT type of character to make, look to others for inspiration. Don't outright copy, but just look and say, "hey, I like this picture of this wizard. I think I will draw a wizard, but I can make that hat look better."

From there, start with stereotypes (I'll stick with the wizard example). Probably some robes, a pointy hat. Beard, wand or staff.

Plop out some silhouettes. Focus on shapes. It's ok if they don't look very good here, you are just going for an idea.

Choose one you like, then play with it some more. Add in some more details once you are ready, and then don't stop there. Do some more.

The important thing is to do many drawings of many different characters. It's perfectly fine if you end up using the very first drawing you did, but at least you explored the character some more.

As a recommendation, work on the 3/4 view first, it's easy to get the front and profile views from that one, and it gives you a better angle to explore the features on the character.

Sorry this ended up being so long, I hope it helped to see a process that I went through, and above all I hope it helps! Good luck, you can do it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to onupa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys! Thank you for making this thread, it has been very, very helpful. And guess it's almost time for us international applicants, too - let's do our best!

I wanted to ask you guys about your opinion on these. The thing is, I'm sort of winging through life drawing without a teacher's guidance, since the classes in my country charge a ridiculous fee - up to $20 for an hour and half.

I've tried to pick up as much as possible from books, but in the end, it's hard to gauge anything without feedback from someone in the same field...

If by any chance you have the time, please, do shoot! I've picked a few sketches from different areas. The part I'm most insecure about would probably be structure...

Name:  iPnvXZX.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  232.0 KB

Never attempted drawing animals like this, so I tried to choose something boney and relatively still!

Name:  JsLhkJf.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  122.1 KB

Gesture stuff with a gel pen.

Name:  QOQyQg8.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  128.9 KB

Same, only with an 8B graphite pencil.

That's all - thanks for the time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  DSC_0439.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  1.67 MB

Trying to understand Zack so I can do the storyboard, I seem to have trouble turning his head. Also I need to remember to make his head more squarish

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Trying to understand Zack so I can do the storyboard, I seem to have trouble turning his head. Also I need to remember to make his head more squarish
    His head is losing about half of its volume in profile, I suggest you work out a spherical cranium and a muzzle, which clearly shows in profile.
    Also, he needs a bum...

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by retrotale View Post
    The part I'm most insecure about would probably be structure...
    I'm no expert, but from what I see I don't think you should be worried about structure at all! Your structure is nicely proportioned, and it doesn't seem "off" anywhere. If I had to suggest something, maybe draw a face to add more personality to your structure? And maybe define feet a little more to add weight. But other than that, I think they look great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no expert, but from what I see I don't think you should be worried about structure at all! Your structure is nicely proportioned, and it doesn't seem "off" anywhere. If I had to suggest something, maybe draw a face to add more personality to your structure? And maybe define feet a little more to add weight. But other than that, I think they look great!
    Thank you! Yes, I usually leave them out in shorter poses, but it might be a good idea for the final pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So apparently there isn't actually a limit on the number of international students that they accept - portfolios are all marked blind and just ranked according to the rubric (according to the manager of the International Center at Sheridan). Not sure if I want to get my hopes up yet though haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI! I'm applying for Animation this year as a international student too.
    I've been following this thread two weeks ago, and think it would be nice to join in.
    It is such a relief to know that there are no limit on the number of international student accepted, but still very nervous, haha
    You guys are so talented, hope we can all get in Sheridan this year!
    Maybe I will post some of my works when I finish them!

If there is something strange with my wording, it's probably because of my poor English...
    Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong

And I wonder how many of you guys joined the live chat an hour ago?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrii View Post
    Not sure if I want to get my hopes up yet though haha
    Just lurked on your DeviantART account and yeah... it'll be safe for you to get your hopes up, man. Dem colours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo if I have this correct, we probably shouldn't mail on portfolios the day of? Latest would be like..tommrow?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just sent it in and I'm no less nervous than I was before haha I'm so worried I've forgotten something or done something wrong despite reading the requirements 10000 times.

And I'm international! In Australia o/ Yourself?
    Wooow youre applying all the way from thete
    nicee
    im in ontario, live in Ottawa, like 6ish hours away driving but I still gotta mail in it anyways~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just sent it in and I'm no less nervous than I was before haha I'm so worried I've forgotten something or done something wrong despite reading the requirements 10000 times.

And I'm international! In Australia o/ Yourself?
    nicee
    im in ontario, live in Ottawa, like 6ish hours away driving but I still gotta mail in it anyways~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DaeLo View Post
    And I wonder how many of you guys joined the live chat an hour ago?
    Hullo fellow international student :D Your English is totally fine! And yep I was at the live chat, that's where I asked about the number of international students. I hope he was right, I'm not sure where the number 25 came from initially?

Just lurked on your DeviantART account and yeah... it'll be safe for you to get your hopes up, man. Dem colours.
    Ahah thanks a bunch. :) I'm not sure how I did on my actual portfolio though so I guess we'll see. It's so hard to gauge even when looking at past portfolios but I guess I'm also fine with not getting in - it'll give me some more time to save up and improve.

nicee
    Yeah it's super far ahahaaaa... .... but yeah 6h is too far to drive!! Good luck o7 To be safe I'd mail it in on the 13th but it does say "no later than Feb 14" so if you get it to the post office before the postage cutoff time it should be fine I think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whats this live chat people are talking about?? Is there a saved video of it somewhere :oo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yeah it's super far ahahaaaa... .... but yeah 6h is too far to drive!! Good luck o7 To be safe I'd mail it in on the 13th but it does say "no later than Feb 14" so if you get it to the post office before the postage cutoff time it should be fine I think
    Yeaa I think im gonna mail it today to be safe
    (But i'll call the school to and see if its ok to send it tommrow c

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whats this live chat people are talking about?? Is there a saved video of it somewhere :oo
    It was just a text chat, I copied the whole thing into a Word document if you'd like me to send it to you somehow??
    And good luck sending it!! Finally free of that plaguing thing haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was just a text chat, I copied the whole thing into a Word document if you'd like me to send it to you somehow??
    And good luck sending it!! Finally free of that plaguing thing haha
    Yes please! I'll take it!
    you could just post it here ( is it really long?) maybe other people want to see it
    if not theres a link to my deviantart, you could send it as a note

Im almost freee
    Im sending it tomorrow
    but after that comes the agonizing waiting D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo if I have this correct, we probably shouldn't mail on portfolios the day of? Latest would be like..tommrow?
    You should be fine if you mail it off on the 14th. I mailed mine off on the last possible day last year and they still reviewed it. I probably won't be mailing mine off until tomorrow too.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to onupa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any of you guys think the 3.12 minimum score will go up this year?
    It says 3.00 is the minimum on the score sheet we have ( but i'm pretty sure it'll go up to at least 3.12)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes please! I'll take it!
    you could just post it here ( is it really long?) maybe other people want to see it
    if not theres a link to my deviantart, you could send it as a note
    Yeah it's pretty long, I'll just PM you here

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just mailed mine in! Most post offices didn't open till like 12 because it was Valentines, so I had a few mini heart attacks, but I'm safe! Woo! For those of you who mailed it in last minute like me, how do you guys feel? :>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just mailed mine in! Most post offices didn't open till like 12 because it was Valentines, so I had a few mini heart attacks, but I'm safe! Woo! For those of you who mailed it in last minute like me, how do you guys feel? :>
    I just mail mine off too! I feel like I have nothing to do now but fret. I made a second copy of exactly what I sent them so I can look at it every day and fret over it. All I can do now is fret. And make art for fun. Good luck everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by onupa View Post
    All I can do now is fret.
    Yep, that's me plan too. Good luck everyone!!

When the time of acceptance letters come, I will be starting a facebook group for the fellow 2014 students... If I get accepted, that is. But better stay positive!! And happy Valentines day, everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I unfortunately wasn't able to get my portfolio finished in time due to a snowboard accident that left me with broken back and a cast on my right arm preventing me to draw... Oh well, I guess there is always Art Fundamentals!

Any-who, I wish you all the best of luck!

Cheers,
    Pajaga

Last edited by Pajaga; February 15th, 2014 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, that's me plan too. Good luck everyone!!

When the time of acceptance letters come, I will be starting a facebook group for the fellow 2014 students... If I get accepted, that is. But better stay positive!! And happy Valentines day, everyone!
    Managed to send it in time as well \o/ That last day was pretty crazy, but I'm glad it's over for now. Good luck to us all!

@Pajaga: Wow, what a terrible timing - but staying positive is what it's all about, yes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post weather you get accepted or not guys! Did you all take fundies as back up?

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook