2014 - Sheridan College (Animation, Illustration and Game Design) Hopefuls - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 - Sheridan College (Animation, Illustration and Game Design) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ppixie View Post
    Hi guys! I'm 19 and currently going to YorkU but I'm working on my portfolio to get into the animation program! I'll probably post some of my stuff later since I just joined like 2 seconds ago. Good luck to everyone, and I hope we can all get in
    haha right on I went to York too, best of luck. I think this is kind of obvious, but for those who are applying to illustration don't add to many stylized pieces. I never got in because of that, I spoke to one of the Sheridan profs during critic.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a question, the personal pieces, what do you think they want to see? I did a foot study last year, and a portrait sketch, but the rest was cartoons stuff and digital,I didnt score well on it. One of my friends who took the course did a caricature style self portrait she said they like those... Should I focus on studies or completed pieces?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xDrawnxtoxDeathx View Post
    Here's a question, the personal pieces, what do you think they want to see? I did a foot study last year, and a portrait sketch, but the rest was cartoons stuff and digital,I didnt score well on it. One of my friends who took the course did a caricature style self portrait she said they like those... Should I focus on studies or completed pieces?
    From what I understand they like variety. Last year my personal art was pretty much all life drawings and feet, which they apparently find boring (after talking to an instructor at the open house). I scored a 1.75 for my personal work with that.

They want to make sure that you are versatile. So mix up what you have and make sure it is executed well and it should be fine.

Something like caricature would be a good piece because it shows that you can observe life and reproduce it in a way that is a readable interpretation instead of a straight translation of what you see.

At the open house, I was also told that they like to see process work. So if you did a lot of character studies, revisions, silhouette studies, pose studies, anything like that, for your original character, that could be something that you include as well.

I was told these two things from two teachers at the Sheridan open house, not all of them, so take that for what it's worth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got into fundies too!
    Im not sure if i should accept the offer though, know if i'll be able to rid of it if i get into the animation program? XI

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by curlyfries View Post
    I got into fundies too!
    Im not sure if i should accept the offer though, know if i'll be able to rid of it if i get into the animation program? XI
    Don't accept it! I don't think you can do takebacks. The offer won't expire until either April or May (not sure which) but we should be hearing back from animation sometime in March, so just leave it and don't worry about it yet. :p

DeviantArt <<<<<<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xDrawnxtoxDeathx View Post
    One of the seniors I know last year handed in character design, layout, concept art, life drawing, and coloured storyboard, and got a 4. She was super diligent to do all that (they were really good too!!) but I think the conclusion here is they like to see that you're versatile and a good drafts(wo)man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got into fundies too!
    Yeah, like jesshop said, don't accept it yet. I emailed them asking about it and this is what they said:
    "Applicants offered admission up to the beginning of April will be required to confirm their program choice by May 1. For offers of admission sent after that date, applicants must make their decision by the date indicated on their offer of admission letter. Applicants who respond after the deadline risk losing a place in the program."

So as long as you confirm before May you will be good, and by then the animation acceptances/rejections will have all gone out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, just a little paranoid here but can I ask if anyone else shares this thought with me? Since I'm Canadian I'm paying the domestic fee of $9,181.97 but that still seems like a lot... That multiplied by 4 years plus housing, food, and bare minimum social life and the total makes me all jittery. How are you guys paying for tuition/expenses?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by misso View Post
    Hey, just a little paranoid here but can I ask if anyone else shares this thought with me? Since I'm Canadian I'm paying the domestic fee of $9,181.97 but that still seems like a lot... That multiplied by 4 years plus housing, food, and bare minimum social life and the total makes me all jittery. How are you guys paying for tuition/expenses?
    Yeah, this is a whole lot of money for sure.

I was working the last three years, so I have some money saved up, but it's still not enough for the four years. I quit my job back in November to focus on my own art and my portfolio, so it's just been a case of being very frugal.

I'm probably going to get a job shortly after I send off my portfolio, and I won't spend anything that I don't have to from what I make during the summer. I'm also hoping to have a bit of an income while I'm at school by making some 3D assets over the summer and selling them online, that way I can have a bit of money coming every month from those even though I'm not actively working.

Also: student loans. I am 100% ready to have to take out student loans once I need to. Future Me can deal with that later.

I'm coming from Alberta, so I won't qualify for a whole lot of scholarships, if any, since most of the Albertan scholarships require you to attend a post secondary school in Alberta, and the Ontario ones I've seen require that you went to high school in Ontario already. You might not have the same problems as me, so make sure you look into scholarships, grants, bursaries, anything like that that is free money that you qualify for.

As far as housing goes, my plan is to live in res for the first year, make a bunch of friends, and then in the second year, move out somewhere with some awesome room mates and split rent.

Last edited by onupa; February 6th, 2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Had copy pasted the whole post by accident

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't get the true student experience without scraping together pocket change for your next meal! But really it's not all that bad. I work full time all year round to make sure I have enough to support myself and my social life, and let OSAP cover the rest. I figure everyone's gonna be in debt by the end of school anyway, so why worry? Hopefully by then we will all have nice stable jobs to start paying off the student loans!

DeviantArt <<<<<<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by onupa View Post
    I'm coming from Alberta, so I won't qualify for a whole lot of scholarships, if any, since most of the Albertan scholarships require you to attend a post secondary school in Alberta, and the Ontario ones I've seen require that you went to high school in Ontario already. You might not have the same problems as me
    I have the EXACT same problem, coming from Britih Columbia. Darnsicles.
    I'll probably get a roomie right away -- I was crunching some numbers and staying on rez costs about 2.5 times more than getting a room + one roomie. If this roomie sucks, I'll sulk a little and get a different roomie 2nd year. Livin' the thrifty life, YEAH!

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one taking out student loans

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, I need advice on how i should approach my path to art education. First of all, I am from South East asia and I've just turned 28 years old. I've worked in the AEC industry and have realized that my true passion is in art, specifically concept art or illustration. And so, due to the lack of decent art schools here in our area. I've decided to maybe try what's available abroad. I've decided to limit my choices to Canada or australia since I find that US's schools are way too expensive. Now my question would be if you guys can recommend great art schools in Canada.

Now my first consideration would be the cost. I can only afford the initial cost of the first term/semester, living expenses etc. And so my plan is to work part time while in school so that I can pay for my tuition and living expenses, Do you guys think this is possible? As you may know tuition fees for international students are more expensive so this was a huge concern for me. I don't mind doing odd jobs to pay for my education as well as to support myself with the living expenses.

I've also researched a lot of schools in Canada. I've checked out Max the Mutt but it's quite expensive and the sample of works produced by their alumnis doesn't look too impressive.

Now I've narrowed down my choices to maybe Sheridan or Emily Carr. If I apply for the sheridan route I will take illustration as my major. If I apply for Emily Carr, I will take Industrial Design as my major.

What do you guys think? are there other inexpensive ways like Ateliers?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hexo View Post
    I can only afford the initial cost of the first term/semester, living expenses etc. And so my plan is to work part time while in school so that I can pay for my tuition and living expenses, Do you guys think this is possible? As you may know tuition fees for international students are more expensive so this was a huge concern for me. I don't mind doing odd jobs to pay for my education as well as to support myself with the living expenses.
    Any serious art school requires more than fulltime study, so studying fulltime and working parttime is not going to work. You might want to try parttime study, but your options as international student being tied by the terms of a study permit are limited.

I've also researched a lot of schools in Canada. I've checked out Max the Mutt but it's quite expensive and the sample of works produced by their alumnis doesn't look too impressive.
    For international students it is not as expensive as famous schools like Sheridan (ok, last time I checked), but there are hidden 'costs', like the fact that you are not eligible for an off-campus work permit or a post-graduate work permit, and they have no attractive deals with hardware and software companies. Essentially, they accept whoever is willing to pay the tuition, and it takes them years to weed out the potatoe chips-eating highschool kids. As a rule of thumb, if you're not good enough to go into Sheridan, you will never be a competitive Max the Mutt graduate.

Now I've narrowed down my choices to maybe Sheridan or Emily Carr. If I apply for the sheridan route I will take illustration as my major. If I apply for Emily Carr, I will take Industrial Design as my major.
    Be aware that illustration and industrial design are two completely different things. I do not know about Emily Carr, but there are industrial design programs that do not even try to teach you to draw or paint.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I went to Sheridan, tuition was alot cheaper, but I worked across the street as a line cook at Monaghans. Seems as if it's still there.

Great school BTW. Lots of talented people and great facilities.

As for portfolios, yeah mine was fairly quirky and they let me in. I was surprised. I had competed in some local and national events that point, so that may have helped. Media Arts though, not illustration, not animation, or art fundamentals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What do you guys think? are there other inexpensive ways like Ateliers?
    You may want to take a look at Animation Portfolio Workshop in Toronto. Altough they seem to be geared primarily towards getting you into animation school, it looks like they leave you with a good foundation in drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    You may want to take a look at Animation Portfolio Workshop in Toronto. Altough they seem to be geared primarily towards getting you into animation school, it looks like they leave you with a good foundation in drawing.
    I thank you very much for all your responses. It has been very helpful to me. While I don't mean to hijack this thread, allow me to ask a few more questions. While the training in animation would be invaluable for concept art, I don't think I would be enrolling in anything animation related courses just because of the workload it entails. I'm really leaning more towards concept art and illustration, I want to be able to paint pretty still pictures. I think I have decent skills in drawing and I just need that extra push and mileage to be able to produce quality work and of course some proper guidance from professionals in the industry.

Now let's say in an ideal world, I will be able to juggle through working part time and studying art in Sheridan. Would my income working part time suffice for all the necessary expenses(tuition, living expenses)? I've just checked the tuition page for international students and it's a whopping 23k CAD. That's a lot of money. I think Canadian schools should really categorize their fees for international students between western rich countries and poor asian countries.

Now emily Carr would be my second choice. The reason I chose industrial design is because I can learn problem solving skills in product design but at the same time I can also enroll for other elective subjects like anatomy and life drawings classes. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Canadian schools should really categorize their fees for international students between western rich countries and poor asian countries.
    North American schools are not exactly for charity. There are more than enough international students willing to pay their tuition, and I don't think anyone cares a damn about those who cannot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While the training in animation would be invaluable for concept art, I don't think I would be enrolling in anything animation related courses just because of the workload it entails. I'm really leaning more towards concept art and illustration, I want to be able to paint pretty still pictures.
    I think life drawing courses are probably what you're looking for if you want to do illustration, If you look at the Sheridan animation course outline, most of life drawing is in first year.

Would my income working part time suffice for all the necessary expenses(tuition, living expenses)? I've just checked the tuition page for international students and it's a whopping 23k CAD.
    Living expenses, probably. Tuition, no. Part time work doesn't pay that much, and as said above, you might as well focus on your art school, become as skilled as you possibly can, and make money off of that after you graduate.

Now emily Carr would be my second choice. The reason I chose industrial design is because I can learn problem solving skills in product design but at the same time I can also enroll for other elective subjects like anatomy and life drawings classes.
    I live in Vancouver so I have a few friends who went to Emily Carr, and they seem to really enjoy it. The only concern they seem to have it the job placement rate after graduation, which isn't all that high... But then again, most art schools don't guarantee you a job, and it's really what you make of your art/portfolio/business idea.

It seems like your only option for wanting to choose Sheridan's Animation program is because its job placement rate is pretty high (because it's specialized) and is prestigious. But if you already know you want to do illustrations/concept art for a living, why are you choosing to go into animation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think life drawing courses are probably what you're looking for if you want to do illustration, If you look at the Sheridan animation course outline, most of life drawing is in first year.

Living expenses, probably. Tuition, no. Part time work doesn't pay that much, and as said above, you might as well focus on your art school, become as skilled as you possibly can, and make money off of that after you graduate.

I live in Vancouver so I have a few friends who went to Emily Carr, and they seem to really enjoy it. The only concern they seem to have it the job placement rate after graduation, which isn't all that high... But then again, most art schools don't guarantee you a job, and it's really what you make of your art/portfolio/business idea.

It seems like your only option for wanting to choose Sheridan's Animation program is because its job placement rate is pretty high (because it's specialized) and is prestigious. But if you already know you want to do illustrations/concept art for a living, why are you choosing to go into animation?
    I think you misunderstood my post. I particularly said that I'm interested in the illustration program offered in Sheridan and not the animation program.

Now if I go the Emily Carr route which is around 10k CAD for international students, will working part time be able to support my living expenses and tuition? or is it still a big no no? This would be my last question. I apologize and I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

And with that, I think I'll just stick to video tutorials and just learn art on my own. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now if I go the Emily Carr route which is around 10k CAD for international students, will working part time be able to support my living expenses and tuition? or is it still a big no no?
    Nope. Unless you were working full-time during the summer/winter break. But you're an international student so you won't have that privilege either. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jesshop View Post
    Don't accept it! I don't think you can do takebacks. The offer won't expire until either April or May (not sure which) but we should be hearing back from animation sometime in March, so just leave it and don't worry about it yet. :p
    uhh... do you think they'd still give you the animation offer if you get it? Even if you..say...accepted the fundies offer already ._.

Last edited by Black Spot; February 9th, 2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: remove duplication

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhh... do you think they'd still give you the animation offer if you get it? Even if you..say...accepted the fundies offer already ._.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see why they wouldn't. It would be a silly system if you couldn't decline that, they probably have people that get accepted into multiple programs all the time. All you will have to do is withdraw from the art fundies, and seeing as you haven't paid for anything yet it should be pretty easy. Send some emails to people whenever you get accepted into animation and they should be able to sort it out for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see why they wouldn't. It would be a silly system if you couldn't decline that, they probably have people that get accepted into multiple programs all the time. All you will have to do is withdraw from the art fundies, and seeing as you haven't paid for anything yet it should be pretty easy. Send some emails to people whenever you get accepted into animation and they should be able to sort it out for you.
    Why did my question repeat three times @_@
    But anyways, I thought that too...but its comforting when someone else says it, gracias~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So how is it going for everybody? If you have to mail in like me, that date is coming up on Friday! I have to finish up my storyboards and still life pieces still, then I put it all together, print it, and send it off! And then I'll be done, and can relax. While I update the admission page on Access Sheridan 20 times a day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So how is it going for everybody? If you have to mail in like me, that date is coming up on Friday! I have to finish up my storyboards and still life pieces still, then I put it all together, print it, and send it off! And then I'll be done, and can relax. While I update the admission page on Access Sheridan 20 times a day.
    I'm heading to the post office with mine in the next few hours! It's going to be hard to part with it though, I'm still fussing over everything haha. So nerve-wracking, oh gosh. Good luck with finishing yours!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im mailing in mine too~ I still have to finish my storyboards (which by the way are killing me xD) do another personal piece and put everything nicely in the portfolio
    when do you plan to send yours? I was thinkng the day before but peoplehav told me to send it the day of

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im mailing in mine too~ I still have to finish my storyboards (which by the way are killing me xD) do another personal piece and put everything nicely in the portfolio
    when do you plan to send yours? I was thinkng the day before but peoplehav told me to send it the day of
    I probably won't send mine off until the last second. I sent it off last year on the day of and it was fine. So long as it gets post stamped no later than the 14th it should all be good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by oupa View Post
    I probably won't send mine off until the last second. I sent it off last year on the day of and it was fine. So long as it gets post stamped no later than the 14th it should all be good.
    Are you In ontario? I think mailing times are faster the closer you are

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrii View Post
    I'm heading to the post office with mine in the next few hours! It's going to be hard to part with it though, I'm still fussing over everything haha. So nerve-wracking, oh gosh. Good luck with finishing yours!
    I feel you with the nerveracking part @-@ how bout you, are you international or in canada?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel you with the nerveracking part @-@ how bout you, are you international or in canada?
    I just sent it in and I'm no less nervous than I was before haha I'm so worried I've forgotten something or done something wrong despite reading the requirements 10000 times.

And I'm international! In Australia o/ Yourself?

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 269