2014 - Sheridan College (Animation, Illustration and Game Design) Hopefuls - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 810
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebniemi View Post
    Has anything changed besides the option to link videos as part of personal artworks, the characters we can choose for the storyboard and that students have to register and attend the portfolio evaluation?
    They got rid of "Matted work is acceptable. A flat case is recommended". Though I'm sure that flat case is still recommended. I'm not so sure about matted work (it doesn't concern me that much. )

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebniemi View Post
    The characters are way more appealing that those of the previous years, which I am happy about! I think I'd like to use the koala.
    Really? I think last year's characters were pretty good though. I liked Jane and John. For this year, I think I'll go with Zack.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sebniemi View Post
    When I made a phone call to Sheridan recently I was told that anyone who has applied already will receive all information and further requirements through mail and e-mail in early December.
    Thanks for letting me know! I just realized after reading the portfolio requirement that they would send it through mail or Sheridan email. What do they mean by that? I don't have Sheridan email account. How do I get one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sebniemi View Post
    Here is throwing a steak to the hounds. Let me know what you guys think of my character WIP
    I like your character! She seems like she has a lot of story to tell. I'll just let you know that most of the portfolio submission are supposed to be line drawings, in case you didn't know. So think about how the character will look without all that colour. They also want to see some construction lines as well. Go take a look at previous years' and you'll see what I mean. For the drawing on the right, her left leg seems a little out of proportion. Also, her shoes needs a little bit more volume as it looks a little flat.

    Last edited by funnyjennypenny; November 25th, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jesshop View Post
    Thought I'd share one of my character designs, quickly rushed in firealpaca. Also if anyone hasn't checked out the new portfolio application on sheridans website they totally should, the portfolio date is getting closer and closer D:
    Haha! I love your character! I can instantly tell what kind of person he is. I can't tell you much except to keep on working harder!

    Last edited by funnyjennypenny; November 25th, 2013 at 11:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Why is it that all characters that applicants produce are 99% anthropomorphic? Do applicants score higher when their characters have two arms, two legs and a face with all basic features? Just thinking out loud.
    I've started the storyboards... Whew! Harder than I thought to keep the characters on model. A lot of fun though. Bubbles is getting into a heap of trouble over here!
    If anyone is drawing larger and reducing, the ratio of the panels is 4.25 long by 2.5 high. I just made my own on illustrator and will reduce them later.

    Happy drawing!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Well, I suppose it's because that's the most basic? I mean you need to show them that you know how to draw people normally and such before moving on to more complex things!

    DeviantArt <<<<<<<
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I didn't get any info on the portfolio requirements yet. Has anyone received them through email or mail?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hello, everyone! I'm applying for animation as well! I tried last year, didn't get in, but am trying again. I lurked in last years thread but am trying to be a bit more social this time.

    Some important things! The portfolio outline is up! If you haven't seen it, it is here:

    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5HL...Ym8/edit?pli=1

    I found it on the Access Sheridan page Student Centre by clicking on the "View additional admission requirements" on the Application Status screen. This also means that the characters for the storyboard section are Bubbles and Zack!

    http://i.imgur.com/kawsYVB.png

    Also, the first post in this thread states that mail in portfolios have to be sent in by Feb 22, this is wrong. That was last years date, and I totally understand why it is there! The new date for mail in portfolios is Friday, February 14, 2014.

    Lot's of exciting things! So many exclamation points!

    Edit: Fixed link to portfolio outline from being behind a login gate to a public google doc.

    Last edited by onupa; December 4th, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebniemi View Post
    Why is it that all characters that applicants produce are 99% anthropomorphic? Do applicants score higher when their characters have two arms, two legs and a face with all basic features? Just thinking out loud.
    I've started the storyboards... Whew! Harder than I thought to keep the characters on model. A lot of fun though. Bubbles is getting into a heap of trouble over here!
    If anyone is drawing larger and reducing, the ratio of the panels is 4.25 long by 2.5 high. I just made my own on illustrator and will reduce them later.

    Happy drawing!
    HEY SEB!
    I haven't been on this website for a while... Glad you're on this thread! It definetly helped me last year (though I didn't get in but I had my huge flaws at places ahahah)...

    I didn't get the two character designs yet ( I paid my application kinda late so I'll have it probably later.
    Last year I drew the storyboard on different sheets and then scanned them and reduced them to the panels... It worked fine and got a lot of fours in that area!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey Camille!
    The storyboard characters are posted already. They are on the portfolio requirements page on the sheridan website. You should also have access to the full portfolio requirements from your access-sheridan page.

    Are you going to include any animations in your personal works, thins you've done at Concordia? The option to do so is available to us.
    Looking forward to seeing your stuff.
    I am going to be submitting my portfolio soon because I am going to be travelling after then holidays.

    I read a really important tip on character design, guys. It is to "not draw veins on kidney bean shapes". Hur hur hur

    Last edited by Sebniemi; December 4th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebniemi View Post

    I read a really important tip on character design, guys. It is to "not draw veins on kidney bean shapes". Hur hur hur
    Hahaha lol

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I got my email from Sheridan about my Sheridan id! Woot woot!

    For those of you who already have Sheridan id and those of you who are applying for the first time, you can now register for the Portfolio Drop-off date!
    The dates are:
    Monday 24 Feb 2014
    Tuesday 25 Feb 2014
    Wednesday 26 Feb 2014
    Thursday 27 Feb 2014
    And the mail-in portfolios are assessed on Saturday Feb 22 but are due Friday Feb 14.

    I chose Monday, Feb 24 for my portfolio drop-off! Which date are you guys choosing?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I picked the 24th as well! I'm hoping that since it's the first day the evaluators will be less grumpy and tired of looking through portfolios so they will judge better

    DeviantArt <<<<<<<
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    T-dot
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Do they start evaluating them those days or is it just a drop off?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeOwlRae View Post
    Do they start evaluating them those days or is it just a drop off?
    You choose the date of your portfolio drop-off date first of all at the "Sheridan Centre" website through the "Event Registration" link. Date of your portfolio drop-off date is your portfolio evaluation date. You just drop off your portfolio and they'll look though it. It says the event starts at 8:30am and ends at 10:00am but you will be able to pick up your portfolio at 3:00pm when they're done evaluating.

    It takes them until late March to sort out who's in ,who's out, who's on the waiting list depending on the scoresheet they have marked on those portfolio drop-off dates.

    Here's link to detailed information:
    https://access.sheridaninstitute.ca/...pbaaa-1149.pdf
    Important information regarding portfolio drop-off starts at page 4.

    Last edited by funnyjennypenny; December 8th, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebniemi View Post
    Hey Camille!
    The storyboard characters are posted already. They are on the portfolio requirements page on the sheridan website. You should also have access to the full portfolio requirements from your access-sheridan page.

    Are you going to include any animations in your personal works, thins you've done at Concordia? The option to do so is available to us.
    "No video or digital media
    will be reviewed. "
    Sadly I can't. But I can surely put stuff that I made in drawing classes at Concordia! And I got a lot of new knowledge over the first semester there

    I think I'm gonna go with the Koala this year. The little boy seems awkward to draw lol.

    I can'T wait to see your stuff too! I'm gonna post mine after the due dates...

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I think that you are allowed to use animation stuff now. The guide this year states this in the personal artwork section:

    "If you have created work that moves (animation or live action), please post the work online and submit a separate page with your personal artwork that includes the following:
    -a link to your online work
    -a one-sentence description of your contribution to the moving work

    Each moving work counts as one piece of personal artwork. Moving work is optional, not required."

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi Guys,

    I have applied for the Fall 2014 program. Will definitely be uploading a few images from my portfolio soon. Working hard on it Just a little question, though... in the storyboard how much does the idea count? I mean, if I do not have a great idea for the whole found-wondered-used-reacted storyboard would I lose marks? Unfortunately, after being overexposed to all the portfolios online, I cannot come up with an idea which seems original in the given framework. Whatever little end twist I put has already been done to death by previous aspirants. Would love to know your insights

    Thanks in advance.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sompal View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I have applied for the Fall 2014 program. Will definitely be uploading a few images from my portfolio soon. Working hard on it Just a little question, though... in the storyboard how much does the idea count? I mean, if I do not have a great idea for the whole found-wondered-used-reacted storyboard would I lose marks? Unfortunately, after being overexposed to all the portfolios online, I cannot come up with an idea which seems original in the given framework. Whatever little end twist I put has already been done to death by previous aspirants. Would love to know your insights

    Thanks in advance.
    A portion of the mark does come from the idea. If you look at the portfolio guide that they have out, at the bottom is a rubric that shows how they break the marks down. Story and creativity are two such sections that they mark you on that would count for the idea in the storyboard section.

    I get where you are coming from though, as I've had a similar problem. Don't be too worried about not showing something original though. They see at least 1000 portfolios each year which means there is a good chance that they see the same sort of story in the storyboards several times. Try not to make it something horribly plagiarized and you should be ok. Feel free to take an idea or two you saw in other storyboards and combine them if you'd like. You could also just go with something very simple/generic and have the drawings be really tight with a good performance to compensate for whatever marks you expect you might lose for story.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada, ON, Toronto
    Posts
    501
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 165 Times in 154 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Well the story mark is actually mostly dependent on the ability to show clarity when telling the story and that it could be made sense of. It's actually harder then it may seem, you may draw out your storyboard and it may seem to play out well to you but when you start showing it to a large sample of people(anybody really not just artists) they may not be able to tell you that same story you thought of. Best thing for that is to show it to a bunch of people and ask them to narrate what they think is going on in the storyboard and if it seems like as if they've perhaps miss interpreted something try to find out whats causing this confusion story telling wise and fix it.

    The creativity part I guess is usually a little bit of a subjective mark if you ask me but yeah a lot of ideas have been done to hell but try to generate something you find that is original and SIMPLE(I can't stress how important that is) and just create a quick rough and try to fix whats going on storytelling wise.

    CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook


    >>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I have a question about the Game Design program. When is that portfolio due? I never really got an exact date...

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #141
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trissy View Post
    I have a question about the Game Design program. When is that portfolio due? I never really got an exact date...
    Its abit confusing but its actually due three weeks after you receive a confirmation letter from Sheridan? (:

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #142
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I am interested in Animation program of Sheridan however I am not too sure if I should go for Sheridan or Ringling or any other college. In your opinion which college is best for animation but at the same time isnt too costly.

    Also I have question about Sheridan. I do not get the requirements they have mentioned in their animation programs. So if you could explain this, I'd be really glad:

    "Program Eligibility

    Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, including these required courses:

    English, Grade 12 (ENG4U)

    plus

    One senior-level Visual Arts credit at the M, or Open Level
    Four other Grade 12 subjects at the U or M level
    Minimum 65% overall average

    or

    Two semesters of postsecondary education including required courses with a minimum 65% overall average"

    Also as I am not a Canadian I was wondering how much are the accommodation charges(if selected of course).

    Thanks

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada, ON, Toronto
    Posts
    501
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 165 Times in 154 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yeah it's not too clear because it's according to the Ontario schooling system. It practically says you need to have done a visual arts course in senior year, as well as senior level English course(I think that if your international you have to take TOEFL), and then another 4 subject courses at senior level with an accumulative avg of 65%(to be safe I'd raise that up to a 70% since last year they raised it to a 68% avg). This is for highschool, if you are coming from a college or university you just need to have completed a year and have an overall avg above 65%(still I'd say 70% to be safe)

    CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook


    >>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #144
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi Guys,

    As promised, here are a few images from the portfolio. Some finished and a couple in WIP stage.Name:  Character expressions.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  575.5 KBName:  Character action pose 1.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  563.0 KBName:  Character action pose 2.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  559.6 KBName:  Hand position 1.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  559.8 KBName:  Hand position 2.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  543.4 KBName:  Storyboard panel 1.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  564.1 KBName:  Storyboard panel 4.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  590.9 KB

    Please, feel free to comment, suggest, criticize Looking forward to all your helpful suggestions

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #145
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Guayaquil, Ecuador
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazel33t View Post
    Yeah it's not too clear because it's according to the Ontario schooling system. It practically says you need to have done a visual arts course in senior year, as well as senior level English course(I think that if your international you have to take TOEFL), and then another 4 subject courses at senior level with an accumulative avg of 65%(to be safe I'd raise that up to a 70% since last year they raised it to a 68% avg). This is for highschool, if you are coming from a college or university you just need to have completed a year and have an overall avg above 65%(still I'd say 70% to be safe)


    After you submit your application do you need to have your documents (TOEFL,grades) submitted right away or is it only after you get accepted into the program? I haven't taken the TOEFL yet and I'm not sure if I can get everything done by the dateline. I'm a bit confused with that,I'll be so grateful if you can explain me this a little more.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. #146
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sompal View Post
    Hi Guys,

    As promised, here are a few images from the portfolio. Some finished and a couple in WIP stage.
    Maybe redraw the hands with less shading and more structure lines. The hands look good, but from what I've seen they don't like shading.

    The rest is solid, I could say you have no problem worrying about getting accepted.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by onupa View Post
    Hello, everyone! I'm applying for animation as well! I tried last year, didn't get in, but am trying again. I lurked in last years thread but am trying to be a bit more social this time.

    Some important things! The portfolio outline is up! If you haven't seen it, it is here:

    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5HL...Ym8/edit?pli=1

    I found it on the Access Sheridan page Student Centre by clicking on the "View additional admission requirements" on the Application Status screen. This also means that the characters for the storyboard section are Bubbles and Zack!

    http://i.imgur.com/kawsYVB.png

    Also, the first post in this thread states that mail in portfolios have to be sent in by Feb 22, this is wrong. That was last years date, and I totally understand why it is there! The new date for mail in portfolios is Friday, February 14, 2014.

    Lot's of exciting things! So many exclamation points!

    Edit: Fixed link to portfolio outline from being behind a login gate to a public google doc.
    Thank you so much for this! I just registered and don't think they'll update the "pending admissions" page for a while, haha!
    Thanks again.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. #148
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I didn't like my character so I drew it two more ways; probably going to go with the first one most of my roughs for that one are done just need to do some clean copies. Can anybody tell me if this is good enough for the portfolio, I think it looks good but I am not sure what other may think about it.

    Last edited by Nickels; January 11th, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #149
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hello to all!

    I've been following this thread for a while, and there's a ton of great information here. Thanks for that! Thing is...I don't see many details specific to the game design program. I know it's only coming up to its second year of existence,but is there anyone (students?) who can give me an idea of what they're looking for, portfolio-wise? Sheridan's listed requirements for their game design program are very vague and generalized.

    I would be emailing the school about this kind of stuff, but as schools do, they tend to take their time answering emails. Not to mention, I always like getting info from those who I know will be honest.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #150
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey, everyone. I thought that I would share the rejected portfolio I applied with last year.

    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5

    I made this in about two months time and received around a 2.1, which was much lower than I thought I would get. Hopefully I can do better this year! (if not there is always art fundamentals haha :/)

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 270

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •