Sketchbook: Anjali's Sketchbook!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Anjali's Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anjali's Sketchbook!

Firstly - HELLO! I just decided to post here instead of on the Introductions because hey, why not hit two stones with one bird... or something like that. I am an 18 year old girl just out of high school with a deep love for art but a hatred towards it as well. I'm sure you all understand what that feels like! In my high school, we had one art class. And the teacher... well I'm not going to say he was mediocre, but I certainly didn't learn anything because we all kinda sat around and I didn't use my time wisely at all. BUT I do draw quite a bit outside of school (that's where all my art comes from). I've been drawing for about 4 years, but I did anime stuff for the first 2 and relied too much on a tablet to spit glitter on my poor skill in the last 2. For almost one year I just stopped because of some issues, and I also felt like I didn't enjoy what I was doing. In the last year, I've picked it up seriously again, but not seriously enough. As in, I don't even own a sketchbook! I know I have such a long way to go and it honestly keeps me up at night. I was raised in an environment where I needed to either be a doctor or a dentist (haha) and so I always focused on school more than art. But I recently made the decision to attend a university, yes, but to take *gasp* art. Which will either be the best or worst thing I do in my life, or so everyone seems to tell me (everyone seems to think they know what's the right path except me, of course). ANYWAY it is so nice to meet you all and I hope to fill this sketchbook up with all my stink drawings! And over time they'll become less stinky. Or at least I hope so. See you all around!

PS Comments, advice, criticisms are REALLY appreciated! Say anything and everything, it'll only help. Thank you all so much for taking the time and I hope to get to know and learn from all of you

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by anjaliv; September 18th, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here goes nothing I hope

Here's everything I could find within the past year. I don't think I have anything from before except bits and pieces (which I will try to find). Let me know what's wrong with it!

Here's what I've noticed:

I rely WAY too much on photos. I cannot for the life of me draw from my head. at ALL. I also do not draw figures enough and I only tend to draw faces. My shading in pencil could use more work. The piece that I made copying Sargent is OK, but I think the figure is really really behind compared to the face structure. I also need to take better photos of things and get rid of the piss-colored lighting! Haha!

I will upload more stuff in a while! OH and the order is from most recent in that batch to least recent. (but all of these are kinda old anyway.) Thank you for viewing my page!

-Anjali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Continuing, all accumulated over the year and most relying on references. I like the one of the little boy but I don't feel like any of these really are at a level I wish I was at. In fact, looking at them is kind of disappointing. At least there is some progress. I need to begin figure drawing, that's for sure. And definitely need to draw more often. Thanks for viewing! Any comments are welcome.

The reflection of the girl was something I later regretted, but it wasn't a bad learning experience, although I definitely need more practice. I also need more things to be colored.. and definitely more varied.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ALL right, so, being the intelligent, responsible person I am, I forgot my password and was locked out of my account for a while. But I remembered it! hah! Here's a pretty massive haul of drawings that I've been doing. Actually, I think I'm going to turn this sketchbook into a journal of sorts, like many others in this corner of the forum! Well, quite a bit has happened since I last logged in. I realized that art is something I really need to take seriously, and so I have just recently made the large (or, large to me lol) jump of dropping out of UC Santa Barbara (before I'd have to pay the 10,000 fee... full price, yuck) and looking into art schools. Then, a very knowledgable artist told me that if I have any interest in the commercial field, that I'd be better off getting a strong foundation in art before attempting half-assedly apply to Art Center or any school similar. This was very great advice to me, because I think I'm nowhere close to where I need to be if I want to be in the animation/video games industry. I think before I attempt to learn digital art from school I am going to take my cash and get a wholesome understanding of basic anatomy/structure/color/etc at LAAFA (Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Arts) and then see where this takes me. I mean.. I guess I'm still only 18 so I don't yet have any clue with what I'm doing, but I do know that if I start relatively young I have more time on my hands in case I've made any mistakes, lol. I am trying not to think of all that I'd be missing out on having that awesome lib art education, but then again, they say you can't truly miss something you never had, right? Whatever, no looking back now! Here's some structures I've been doing just off of videos and reference websites and whatnot for a while. Since I'm weak with figures, there was a pretty quick improvement, although not by much.. regardless, I'm grateful that I learned at least this much so far. Now I can at least make the body somewhat proportionate. But I do need to do more studying of muscle/skeletal structure, so I think that's next... Anyway, thank you for reading and feel free to give any input!

-- OK on to business though. Anything figure drawing (on paper) is AFTER the gesture sketching on paper/tablet. Then that girl's body I drew with black and white charcoal and the guy are the most recent, I believe. I think I like the girl with the pigtails best Everything used reference still, but I tried to move away from it on the more illustrated faces I drew. And then the renaissance guy with clothes was damn horrible, so I know another point that I need to work on. The figure next to that was out of my head. It's ok I guess. Not proportionate but an improvement. I need to work on poses though, how the hell do people come up with poses in their minds?! Time to purchase a few books, I think.

Boy, if I had a penny for every time someone doesn't click on this sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Golly gee, who would've thought that taking pictures in a dimly lit room is a bad idea? ahaa I apologize for the piss poor quality of these photos, it (hopefully) won't happen again, haha!

I need to be more involved on ConceptArt.org on a side note.... and develop a stricter drawing schedule. As in, not draw once every millennia. :p Animals are really tough to draw, and perspective is just... man.

Boy, if I had a penny for every time someone doesn't click on this sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. You should move on to something aside from faces and portraits. Come back to them later after you've learned other stuff and then continue refining your capabilities with them. Definitely work on your anatomy more and perhaps environments/perspective, especially if you want to work in games. The girl with pigtails looks double-jointed. The naked girl on your most recent post appears to have a head a few sizes too large and the line for the Adam's apple for the guy beside her is way very much in the wrong spot. I'm brushing up on anatomy myself so I'm getting a bit sensitive to it both in my own drawing and other people's. I just bought the book Figure Drawing: Design and Invention by Michael Hampton. It's explanations are methodical and straight forward. It might be worth while to check out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely drawings. Nice sense of personality and light/shade.

I think you're doing fine as you are - i.e. no need to avoid faces or portraits if you enjoy doing them. You'll improve as you go along anyway.

I also think you're doing the right thing learning the basics and getting a solid foundation before getting into debt at an expensive school you might not be ready for. Also, remember that not all schools are worth your while. I think thats more the case in the US than the UK, so make sure to do your homework on whatever school you apply to.

Anyway, for figure drawing, get to as many life drawing classes as you can and pick up books by Andrew Loomis, Michael Hampton, Joseph Sheppard, George Bridgman etc. You'll learn a lot from those guys about figure construction and anatomy. For quick gesture poses, Pixelovely is a good site. And don't worry too much about studying from photos. They're as useful for learning as working from life. Use whatever tools it takes to get you where you want to be.

Re drawing from your head. Try using a reference photo or an object you like the look of and draw it accurately. Then change your drawing into something different. Caricature a face or turn a figure into a zombie. Or turn a banana into a spaceship. Anything you like. The aim is to get your imagination working independant of whats in front of you, and using already existing images/objects is a good starting point.

Good luck with everything and remember to have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simply amazing portraits in there. I think once you get the rest up to that level you will be doing great. I want to keep an eye on this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR REPLYING!!! I wish I'd seen this earlier in the day!
    Tex McCranie: I appreciate the useful advice - looking at purchasing Michael Hampton's book on google right now. That's someone I also need to begin seriously doing. Since I've been focusing on faces so much you are correct, I never really even learned anything else. I think I'll start on perspective a bit before I try environments, so I can make my lines more fluid and drawings more 3 dimensional (hopefully lol) thanks again!

Chandra H.: thank you! Yes, that seems to be the case in the US more than other countries it seems education is so very expensive here yet it seems like at the same time getting a college degree holds about as much worth as a high school diploma! Scary times... But anyway I think I am going to put a bit more time into learning the basics, yes, but I definitely won't stop doodling faces lol! I will look into the books you guys have mentioned, and actually this advice you just provided is amazing. I never thought of just exaggerating what I already see, that is an awesome exercise and I will be trying that out ASAP. Reading in another thread somewhere on here, I believe my issue is that I have a very small amount of stored knowledge about how things tend to look/work. Maybe after I research a bit more, my ability to envision things might get better. Thank you so much for your comment!

SkapeGoat: thank you! Man, comments like this are really encouraging. I am going to work hard, so hopefully I can improve

Today I am exhausted :p I had to make a drawing of an egg and a glass on white 18x24 sized paper. I definitely do NOT work on papers that huge lol so it was a challenge and took me 8 consecutive hours. But at least I was able to finally draw something from life, and I'm happy that it didn't come out bad. I wish I had learned a bit more on perspective, though before I did this, because it doesn't look like the glass is on a higher table where I'm sitting, and the other side of the glass is a little off, but I just don't have much time left before I need to submit my application, agh. Nonetheless, i can say that supergluing 3 boiled eggs together was an interesting challenge! hah. Before I drew the egg I did a few sketches on a small sketchbook beforehand, I think that helped. I did get a chance to read one of the random books we have lying around the house (Sketching People: Life Drawing Basics by Jeff Mellem) and took a few notes on point to point drawing, which was the first chapter. He mentions that taking a sketchbook, a pencil, a fountain pen, and a small watercolor kit around with me everywhere will get me to draw more frequently. I should consider purchasing these items! Off topic, do you guys ever get pain in your wrist/back? I don't draw that much (or not as much as I need to be) but when I do, my lower back and hand ache afterwards. It's not super painful, but I fear that as I increase my drawing hours, I might feel the effects of it more harshly. Anyway, here's the egg drawing and the beforehand sketches:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, well here's yesterday's sketchbook stuff. It SUCKED majorly, but whatever I said it'd be everything on here. I tried to draw a bit of the figure drawings relying on the point to point thing, but it didn't work out as well, i think. So i tried to trace the problem, and it really comes down to my weak sense of anatomy. I'm going to begin drawing out the entire skeleton to get some idea of how our bodies really work. But in other news, I went down to LAAFA after sending them my portfolio. Of course they were so friendly and the entire facility seemed so scrupulous in its programs and setup so I was pretty impressed. Unfortunately though my reliance on references just came to bite me in the ass because since I am applying on such short notice, I only had time to include all my good stuff till this point, which was ALL based on reference besides the egg and glass drawing which was from life. She said that the teachers involved with admissions weren't really that happy with it, and wanted to confirm that the egg drawing was in fact from life. I was really kinda disappointed, but what can ya do lol I already knew that they wouldn't like references in the first place, so all I could say was that I know and that I'm working on it. She did like that I did pretty well in school though! lol if that even matters really :p Either way, I'm going to find out whether or not I'm admitted later today, and it's all nerves over here...fingers crossed! Sorry for the crappy sketches today, it happens. Just gotta work harder...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updating this, I got in!! which was frickin' awesome lol. The woman said my grades and the egg drawing saved me, and although it's still unofficial right now, I'm just glad that I'm in the clear. Now I can really focus on rebuilding my art from the ground up. Last night I spent about 3 hours reading the book that we had in the house - I feel that it's a bit dry and lacking information (maybe it'll get better as I delve deeper into it) - and doing some gestural drawings. Since I stopped these for a little bit, they got kinda bad, but as it got later I think it got a little bit better and I got the hang of it, kinda. It's difficult to know if you're doing gesture drawings correctly, and it's difficult to know which parts of the pose to include/exclude. I started to get really tired and just slowed down and made a few random doodles from life, which I need to be doing more of, but I think the gestures helped me out. The book mentioned that the gestures should be clean and not so "hairy" so I tried to do this. Working on the neatness still but I got a little better at the lines I think - since the lines are so few and so simple and not "hairy" it's even more crucial to have them in the right place... anyway yeah these are all 30 second sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry - on the last post the first drawing was my latest and the last was my earliest from that session. And here are just a few more from then also. It's not much, but I want to work my way up slowly. Thanks to whoever views this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some more stuff today and yesterday, but it's mostly just more gestural stuff. I watched another video that explains that lines shouldn't have to be so clean and neat and that that's the nature of gesture. After making my lines less controlled, I feel like they got much better. I also watched a video on weight, and the shift that the body relies on in order to maintain this balance. And then I just penned some more random stuff and random people's pictures and a self portrait which looks kinda funny lol. Here's my stuff today, thanks for looking, and any comments/critiques are welcome!

OH CRAP, the last ones are the earliest and the first are the latest! Needa stop messing that up....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to do an environment sketch today. Didn't draw anything on Sunday, instead I was watching about a million tutorials and whatnot on lines, figures, etc. I got the reference from Google images and worked on it for like 5-6 hours, before I kinda lost my stamina and decided that I'd learn how to render the close up stuff first before wasting my time. I think it turned out pretty close, or at least decent for a first time. I would I could've used water colors or something, unfortunately I still need to find a decent set, so I just used a tablet for now. Thanks for looking, and I appreciate any comments/critiques!

Last edited by anjaliv; September 17th, 2013 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful studies, keep em coming

Members who have read this thread: 1