Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts

I'm thinking of getting a cintiq. Anyone got one? hows the warranty?

I'm just curious before i buy a cintiq, how the warranty is, or if i can insure it somehow. It's so much money to drop i'd hate for something to happen to it. I know they're reliable as hell (used one at work for the last 5 years) but i know sometimes stuff goes bad, so has anyone bought one? how'd you go about protecting your investment, or is the included warranty pretty good?
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    First of all there's a very helpful hardware section here on CA.

I know warranty service from best buy and frys will be terrible. Their techs get paid extra by the hour so they'll milk you for time. Not sure if they can do it with a cintiq, but they'll gladly spend a month replacing a fan and overheated power unit.

on the upside I've never known anybody to kill a wacom. They really are built to last.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    First of all there's a very helpful hardware section here on CA.

I know warranty service from best buy and frys will be terrible. Their techs get paid extra by the hour so they'll milk you for time. Not sure if they can do it with a cintiq, but they'll gladly spend a month replacing a fan and overheated power unit.

on the upside I've never known anybody to kill a wacom. They really are built to last.
    Yeah that's my experience as well. they seem like a really solid piece of hardware. i'll crosspost this over to the hardware section and see if i have any luck there.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    You might want to look into the kingtee and yiynova too. Wacom is no longer the only game in town. I'm yet to hear a negative about those two.

I can vouch for the samsung ativ if your looking for a tablet pc.

Thanks
    I don't know if this helps since I used an older model but...

I literally just pulled the plug on my Cintiq 21 UX (it's laying on my bed collecting dust now, RIP ole buddy). It gave a good run of about 6.5 years but in the end the screen dimmed too much to see brightest brights and darkest darks. I couldn't tell you exactly when I started to notice the dimness, it was a gradual process and I didn't fully realize the loss until I purchased an excellent new monitor early this year and saw the difference side by side.

It endured a lot of abuse though traveling with me all over from IL to MO to FL but the screen was still working nicely enough without more than a few slight scratches on it. Pixels began to burn a bit at the extreme edges which never bothered me. It really heated up my room a lot though (where I work) to the point of being uncomfortable. I hear this heat problem has been fixed with the newer 13HD model though.

Another weird thing is that I began to realize that if you don't have a correct desk set up with the Cintiq - having something super large isn't worth it. My desk is something that barely fits dual monitors and a keyboard and my chair is low. I swear 99% of the time I use nothing more than the bottom quadrant to work on - mentally it's nice to have a window so large and it definitely helps with getting a clearer picture of a full piece, but work size will be minimal to surface area.

Also I am not a fan of the built on interfaces, I keep my hand on the keyboard off to the side. For someone with that sort of set up it makes moving the Cintiq close even more awkward.

By the time it started to show its age the warranty had expired long before (multiple years). Over the past couple weeks I was looking into replacing it with either the 13hd or the 24HD and decided to go with neither. For the time being I decided it was a better option to get a good monitor and switch back to using my Intuos. It's more travel ready, far less bulky than the 21 UX and the only real problem I have with it is accuracy - which is something I just have to build up again after a couple years of Cintiq usage. I really think holding off on an expensive Cintiq purchase is a prudent decision at the moment. I keep hearing about reviews of the 13HD being disappointed with it not being a completely wireless tablet and their rumblings that something like that is on it's way soon. Waiting seems worth it for a device like that - but that's just me trying to be practical.

I don't know if that is useful to you but it is what it is. Let me know if you have any specific questions and Ill try and answer them. Bear in mind all these criticisms, like I said, are based on the 21 UX... I don't know if you can even buy it anymore.

Good luck and Cheers.