Ringling College of Art and Design 2014 Hopefuls - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @sootyowl I'm also applying to sva , and art center. I'm on the fence about applying to scad and ccad...scad savannah is in a cool city where a lot of old civil war haunted grounds are but it's a little too big for me.
    I would defiantly take figure drawing classes. If it's hard to get into one go to cafe or any place there is people and draw them . You can find people to draw everywhere . You just need to have a sketchbook with you everywhere .
    Pixie lovely and quick pose also have a good figure drawing tool.

I wouldn't include the celebrity drawing. I would add some more life drawing instead. I would do a couple still life's with objects that intrest you and a self potrait .The whole point of the portfolio is to show your drawing skill. Make at least 3/4 drawing from life or studies. I would have both digital and traditional . Good luck with portfolio day!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I'm one of those people who applied for a position in CA last year, but was rejected. Well, not really rejected...I mean, I was offered a position in anything else, but...Yeah, you get the idea. Anyways, I'll be reapplying this year. Who knows? Maybe things'll turn out better this time 'round. I've been taking a few art classes up at the local community college, so I have gotten a few pieces done. I'm hoping to get them online, so I can get some feedback from you guys. I mean, I'm really uncertain right now. Well, at least I won't have to put together an entirely new application. Apparently, they've still got my app on file, so they're just going to pull it up and use everything from last year. So all I've got to focus on, is mailing out transcripts, and getting those pieces together!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I'm a Game Art + Design hopeful for Fall 2014! I've been watching this thread for awhile now--Just thought I'd stop lurking and finally post This'll be my first time applying to Ringling--something I'm super excited and equally nervous about but after completing the PreCollege program over the summer--I really feel like Ringling is the school for me! Hopefully when I have some more of my portfolio stuff completed, I'll be posting because I'd love some feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @swiftgysy: Yay another pre college person ! What courses did you take ? I took illustration and visual development . I feel the same way about ringling ... The only promblem is that there are soo many other awesome schools .... It's going be hard to choose where I'm going in the end ....I would post a sketchbook on the forums . It's a great way to get feed back on your art .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zandragon, I was in Game Art and Design and Graphic Design (: And thanks for that! Once I actually have the time to photograph my stuff--I'll compile it onto here for critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Swiftgysy : I will definatly check it out when it's up .... Just out of curiosity what group were you in ? I was in tan and I was on the third floor ... We probly never met because we were in diffrent majors...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zandra I was in Red Group on floor 4...I was super super a̶n̶t̶i̶s̶o̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ *clears throat* I mean... "hardworking" at PreCollege. I literally spent all my time in open studios and didn't go to any of the social events...I'm a bit of a workaholic I guess you could say XD I probably saw you around, even though I was in the studios all the time, I still was pretty friendly...(at least I think so I was the girl with the thing of glowsticks at Pacific Rim if that helps at all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I've got a few pieces that I'd like some feedback on, but I'm not sure exactly how to upload 'em. Any suggestions on what methods works best? 'Cause I've got no idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JAndrews--try uploading your pictures to a site like imgur (you'd create a profile, and a portfolio) (http://imgur.com/), and then put the link to them here in a post. Here's an example of what it'd look like (this isn't my work, just an accepted CA portfolio from last year I find particularly inspiring) (:

http://imgur.com/a/f2x0M#0

My Portfolio (please check it out I'd love some feedback): http://imgur.com/a/nGyR4

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here we go.

http://imgur.com/a/A4lPf#0

What do you guys think? I've only got a couple images up so far, but more will be on their way as time progresses. And...I know that the figures aren't the best, I've never been that great at actually drawing the figure. Oh, and these are all from classes I'm taking up at the college I'm attending.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm working on my portfolio for CalArt. They require a sketchbook, I was wondering if anyone knew how many pages should it be? I don't usually draw on sketchbook so I do not have any ready. I have this sketchbook which is 112 pages and I don't think I can fill it up in time. Is it okay if I send one that is not completed or would you recommend sending one with fewer page and fill it up?
    Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Swiftgysy : I was a workaholic/ hardworking too ... I practically lived in the labs .I also barely got any sleep because I was working on my projects .. I was in the labs So much that my ta called my friends and I who were also workaholics lab crazies.I only missed one lab but that was because I was plein air painting the yellow chairs ....I am normally an antisocial person but at precollege I made a lot of a amazing friends ....I don't remember a girl with glow sticks... On that night I had only had an hour of sleep the night before so I was kinda of out of it ....I was the girls with a pink / purple / red violet foehawk .. I have really short hair ...
    @JAndrews: the foot on first figure looks a little wonky . I would study some anatomy ... One thing that was suggested at portfolio overview at precollege is that if figure drawing isn't your strength then don't include it.. I would still include some figure drawings but include a lot of pieces that you feel are your strengths. I've seen accepted portfolios with Just still life's .For figure drawing animation likes to see gesture drawing .There are a lot of gesture drawing tools online. I would also suggest going to starbucks or drawing the people around you whenever you get the chance .Ringling loves drawings from life a lot ....

Last edited by Zandragon; November 3rd, 2013 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @incognitus: I don't really know much about the requirements for their sketchbook, but I'd say to contact them. You could always email or call them. The admissions email for them is: admissions@calarts.edu I'm sure they'd be able to help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi guys! i'm applying to the computer animation program.
    this will be my first time applying to ringling :'0 (or. any college really.)
    i feel like i'm finally making some headway into my portfolio; i am a bit worried about what is in it though.

http://imgur.com/a/4i0PJ

i didn't have a chance to attend any figure classes and so most of my figures are just drawings of myself... i'm hoping that doesn't negatively affect it. also the lack of variety in sizes or "finished" pieces.
    i have a few more things i need to get good scans or photos of (a page from my sketchbook that shows more of my process, some sketches of kids at school, and a painting) and i plan to include a still life and a drawing of my backyard - everything but the sketchbook page & painting being drawings from life/observation. i am also wondering if i should include maybe one or two more digital examples of my art.

any feedback would be fantastic. it's cool to see the progress and work of others who are also applying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews View Post
    Well, at least I won't have to put together an entirely new application. Apparently, they've still got my app on file, so they're just going to pull it up and use everything from last year. So all I've got to focus on, is mailing out transcripts, and getting those pieces together!
    I have a question for ya, try log on to your slideroom and see if you could submit your new portfolio. Apparently Common App (the web we used to apply last year) deleted all the old applications, it says any applications created before August 1, 2013 has been deleted. So we do have to create a whole new application this year. Im one of those people who didnt get in last year just like you. This is a pain, I contacted Ringling, will see what she say.

Last edited by WaterVase17; November 9th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by incognitus View Post
    Hey, I'm working on my portfolio for CalArt. They require a sketchbook, I was wondering if anyone knew how many pages should it be? I don't usually draw on sketchbook so I do not have any ready. I have this sketchbook which is 112 pages and I don't think I can fill it up in time. Is it okay if I send one that is not completed or would you recommend sending one with fewer page and fill it up?
    Thanks in advance!
    In my opinion, it is better to have a full 100+ pages sketchbook, you dont want them to think you're lazy. Also, for the part three of the porfolio, do you know how many pieces are we suppose to submit? I know that the first part is the 15 drawing pieces, paart two is sketchbook. do you know if part 3 we have to ship the actual piece there? or can we just submit online?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @WaterVase17 - Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. I went straight to a counselor with a few questions about setting up a new application on Common App, and she told me that I was all set...So I'm assuming they hung onto them. As for Slideroom...She gave me a link and told me to submit it there, but...I dunno. I tried to set up a new portfolio, but I don't think it's loading properly on my computer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @WaterVase17 - Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. I went straight to a counselor with a few questions about setting up a new application on Common App, and she told me that I was all set...So I'm assuming they hung onto them. As for Slideroom...She gave me a link and told me to submit it there, but...I dunno. I tried to set up a new portfolio, but I don't think it's loading properly on my computer.
    Do you have to delete the old portfolio first?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterVase17 View Post
    Do you have to delete the old portfolio first?
    I...honestly, I have no idea. It lets you start up a new one by simply selecting the 2014 Computer Animation option, but...I have no idea if you have to delete the old portfolio first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I...honestly, I have no idea. It lets you start up a new one by simply selecting the 2014 Computer Animation option, but...I have no idea if you have to delete the old portfolio first.
    I log in to slideroom, but it still have my old portfolio there, so I dont know if i should delete the old one, I emailed the admission, she said "i dont think so". This is so confusing, it is more confused than starting a new application.

Anyways how are you all doing? I almost have my port ready. Ill upload them after I take pictures of them or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm doing well, been really busy with college so I haven't had much time to work on my portfolio like I hoped. T___T I have a lot of works in progress to get done. Luckily, I managed to free up my weekend (finally!), so I'll be finishing some unfinished pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @WaterVase17 - I think you're fine keeping the portfolio there. I mean, what would deleting it accomplish? If you're gonna send them a new portfolio, you just need to forget about that one and send them your new one.

@shybox92 - I'm with you on the portfolio. My classes have been keeping me pretty busy. I do have about half of it done. Which...is everything I've done in my drawing classes, admittedly. But, I've got it all planned out. What I've got already, and what I still need to work on. Random things like Hands, Landscapes, animal sketches, perspective pieces...and so on. Once winter break comes along in December, I'll have about a month to completely devote my time to the portfolio, so I'm kinda looking towards then to get it all done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JAndrews GAH, yeah, classes are a real pain. Sorry to hear that they've been keeping you busy too.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat with the portfolio. Like you, I've got everything planned out, and I have a lot to work on. It's just getting the time to work on them, that's been a problem. Hopefully, I can finish more pieces this weekend. And looks like we even have the same plan too xD I'm devoting most of December to my portfolio, since my break is after the first week of december. My goal is to get it all done by the end of December, just wanna get my application sent before Jan if possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @shybox92 - Wow! How odd that we both have the same game plan! We even have the same end dates for our classes. Right now I'm just doing rough stuff in my sketchbook, practicing a bunch of random stuff, which...kind of brings me to my next point.

Anyone have an idea of where I can find and purchase one of those little miniature mirrors that you can place on your desk and draw from? I'm trying to improve on my expressions, and I'm not really in the mood to stand in front of my bathroom sink and draw from there. Believe it or not, that is the only mirror I've got in my house.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi people!
    I'm finally done with classes for this year and so i have time to spend on my portfolio, i'm working mainly on figure drawing, and cafe sketching.
    Does anyone know if i can transfer some classes since i'm already in college ? The real thing is i'm graduating from college next year so i don't know if Ringling validate some of them, and i'm not studying in the US so i don't know if this option is available for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebooking View Post
    Hi people!
    I'm finally done with classes for this year and so i have time to spend on my portfolio, i'm working mainly on figure drawing, and cafe sketching.
    Does anyone know if i can transfer some classes since i'm already in college ? The real thing is i'm graduating from college next year so i don't know if Ringling validate some of them, and i'm not studying in the US so i don't know if this option is available for me.
    As far as I know, Ringling doesn't take much transfer credits, especially studio class credits, but you can always ask to be sure, after you got accepted contact them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have couples of questions for those who are applying to Calarts. Do you know the letter of recommendation should be mail or submit online? Also, aside the sketchbook, which part of the portfolio should be mail to them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shybox92 View Post
    @JAndrews GAH, yeah, classes are a real pain. Sorry to hear that they've been keeping you busy too.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat with the portfolio. Like you, I've got everything planned out, and I have a lot to work on. It's just getting the time to work on them, that's been a problem. Hopefully, I can finish more pieces this weekend. And looks like we even have the same plan too xD I'm devoting most of December to my portfolio, since my break is after the first week of december. My goal is to get it all done by the end of December, just wanna get my application sent before Jan if possible.

I love your portfolio so far, the are some part that you need to fix, but I understand that they are not done. And yea definitely submit everything before Jan, don't wait til the last min. Unlike you guys, my classes doesnt end til the mid of December.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterVase17 View Post
    I love your portfolio so far, the are some part that you need to fix, but I understand that they are not done. And yea definitely submit everything before Jan, don't wait til the last min. Unlike you guys, my classes doesnt end til the mid of December.
    Aw, so sorry to hear that, anyways try to practice in your free time, do lots of life drawing .
    I'm getting nervous time is going on + people here is so talented.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebooking View Post
    Aw, so sorry to hear that, anyways try to practice in your free time, do lots of life drawing .
    I'm getting nervous time is going on + people here is so talented.
    Believe me, I'm just as nervous. My mom is getting sick and tired of me telling her of all the doubts that I have. (when I'm nervous, I talk...A LOT XD) -sigh-

But I'm sure we'll all do well, things just get scary as time passes I think xD

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 178