Ringling College of Art and Design 2014 Hopefuls

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2014 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guys, so I'm not sure if it's considered too soon for me to start up this thread, but I just couldn't help myself! I'm so excited to be a hopeful for the 2014-2015 year, and decided "alright, let's just get this thread rolling!"

So, here is a link to the previous 2013 Hopefuls thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=249040

If you don't know about Ringling College of Art and Design you can visit their website over here: http://www.ringling.edu/

So, yeah! Any hopefuls around here?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there!
    It's not too soon to start thinking about your Porfolio, so work on it!
    I was goona apply to CA last year but i ended not applying due to i'm graduating from college(Multimedia engineering) at the end of this year, so yeah, i'm applying for CA for next fall semester (2014)!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohh, nice!

And yeah, working super hard on my portfolio! I'm gonna be applying for CA as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greetings guys, i was starting to wonder anyone would start this soon. I was a CA 2013 hopeful and unfortunately i didnt get in. But im willing to give it one more try before i give up lol im planning to re-work the entire portfolio. how are your portfolios?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! Yeah, it definitely wouldn't hurt to give it another try and apply again.

I only have two pieces in my portfolio so far that I'm happy with. Of course I gotta come up with some more work.
    I've been drawing every day, and am starting to get the hang of oil painting.

I've been debating on whether or not I should take a life drawing class again. I took one in the fall of 2012 at my community college. I was thinking of taking it again this fall, and explained this to my previous life drawing teacher since I wanted to take his class again. And he said he thought it would be a waste of time since I've already taken it. He of course didn't mind if I took it with him again, he was completely okay with it. (it's also the only place in my area where I can work with nude models) I was just thinking maybe it'd be great to take the class again and maybe I can get some great nude pieces to add to my portfolio. xD So, idk. Still thinking about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shybox92 View Post
    Hello there! Yeah, it definitely wouldn't hurt to give it another try and apply again.

I only have two pieces in my portfolio so far that I'm happy with. Of course I gotta come up with some more work.
    I've been drawing every day, and am starting to get the hang of oil painting.

I've been debating on whether or not I should take a life drawing class again. I took one in the fall of 2012 at my community college. I was thinking of taking it again this fall, and explained this to my previous life drawing teacher since I wanted to take his class again. And he said he thought it would be a waste of time since I've already taken it. He of course didn't mind if I took it with him again, he was completely okay with it. (it's also the only place in my area where I can work with nude models) I was just thinking maybe it'd be great to take the class again and maybe I can get some great nude pieces to add to my portfolio. xD So, idk. Still thinking about it.
    Well from what others have told me in the past, you don't really need NUDE in your portfolio, but I say it wouldn't hurt to take more life drawing class. Perhaps you can ask your instructor to give you different assignments if you already took it once, or maybe you can take life drawing 2 if your school has it. Either way just draw a lot. Right now im sorta struggle with my portfolio a bit. only months away

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! Glad to see this thread now up and running... I guess the one last year kind of died off towards the end. Anyways, as I've done the last few years (jeez it's going too fast!) I'm now a rising junior in CA, so let me know if you guys have any questions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see the Ringling Hopefuls thread tradition is still going 8) I'm a rising senior in Game Art & Design (aka GAD), but I know a lot about all the majors and the school in general for anyone who has questions. Since I'm a senior, you guys will be the first incoming class that I won't be at Ringling for 8C So sad. I goes by fast, so take advantage of your years here while you can!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone ! Thanks for starting this thread ! I was really glad I found it after pre college. I am applying for illustration . I only have a couple pieces in my portfolio so far . I plan on going to figure drawing classes , cafe drawing , and the zoo for my life drawing pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEY! I was on last years hopefuls thread, and I got in!
    so yeah, this fall I start the process of becoming a Game Art and design Major with a business of art and design minor.
    I'll try to update you guys on how everything goes as the year progresses. Orientation for us is in roughly two weeks. trust me guys the time is going to fly by like you wouldn't believe. obviously i don't know too much about the school yet, but if you have any questions, i'll be sure to try and help out if i can. First it's going to drag super slow, but before you know it, you'll be coming back to concept art telling the next group of hopefuls about the experience.

you are going to hear it a lot over the next few months- but draw from life- then try and tell a story with your pieces. draw all the time, everyday if you can- and you'll be well on your way!

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got in last year for CA. I can't go but if anyone needs any help with portfolio or critique or anything, just ask. I'd be happy to help. I know how stressful it is applying to colleges.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    HEY! I was on last years hopefuls thread, and I got in!
    so yeah, this fall I start the process of becoming a Game Art and design Major with a business of art and design minor.
    I'll try to update you guys on how everything goes as the year progresses. Orientation for us is in roughly two weeks. trust me guys the time is going to fly by like you wouldn't believe. obviously i don't know too much about the school yet, but if you have any questions, i'll be sure to try and help out if i can. First it's going to drag super slow, but before you know it, you'll be coming back to concept art telling the next group of hopefuls about the experience.

you are going to hear it a lot over the next few months- but draw from life- then try and tell a story with your pieces. draw all the time, everyday if you can- and you'll be well on your way!
    I hope time speeds up .if it goes any slower I will die of boredom . I'm doing my half finished still lifes from precollege to pass the time and I hate still lifes .. When is everything due for other majors excluding ca? is it just rolling admissions for other majors ? so basicly we can turn portfolio and application in before next year's application starts?
    I know that 2014-2015 school year app starts on september the 1st.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I’m thinking of starting a sketchbook on this site, because I’d really like to get some critiques on my work so far.
    Apart from that, I’m quite nervous about how my transcript will look.
    I currently attend a community college, and MAYBE I’m just over thinking things and stressing myself out for no reason…but I wanted to know what you all think. Am I just stressing out for no reason, or could this hurt my chances with acceptance? Because I’m aware that grades play a huge role, obviously it shows how you’re willing to work hard.

I’m just gonna make a list of how the transcript looks. I started classes on January 2012.
    Jan 2012 (semester): A, B, and 2 withdrawls.
    Summer 2012: F (in a math class)
    Fall 2012: A, and a D (when I took the math class for a 2nd time)
    January 2013: C, C (when I took math for a 3rd time, as you can tell, math is a big weakness of mine), and 1 withdrawl.
    Summer: A
    And my current GPA listed is a 3.4
    And this fall, I am taking 4 classes. I have no intention of dropping any of them. If I’m being honest with myself, the reason why I never took many classes at a time and only stuck with 1 or 2 in the past was because of pure laziness. But I’m a little worried how this would look, especially with repeating that math class 3 times. And those withdrawls. I completely understand it's my fault for making it look like this. I DON'T KNOW, maybe I'm over thinking things, but this does bother me...I'm hoping any of you could share your thoughts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Shybox, worry about your portfolio, not about your grades. You can't change the past anyways. Also, your GPA is actually quite high for Ringling incoming students. I knew a few people who had incoming GPA's of 2.0.... so, you're not doing too shabby. Just focus everything on your portfolio. Sure academics do help with scholarships, but they aren't really the deciding factor on acceptance. Also, creating a sketchbook for critique is an awesome idea. Get started as early as possible and don't put it off. If you can, try to go to a National Portfolio Day. Anyways, best of luck and let me know if you have any questions or need any help. Oh and if it helps, Ringling doesn't require a "math" class, at least not calculus or anything I wasn't good at math either, so I completely understand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Praemium View Post
    @Shybox, worry about your portfolio, not about your grades. You can't change the past anyways. Also, your GPA is actually quite high for Ringling incoming students. I knew a few people who had incoming GPA's of 2.0.... so, you're not doing too shabby. Just focus everything on your portfolio. Sure academics do help with scholarships, but they aren't really the deciding factor on acceptance. Also, creating a sketchbook for critique is an awesome idea. Get started as early as possible and don't put it off. If you can, try to go to a National Portfolio Day. Anyways, best of luck and let me know if you have any questions or need any help. Oh and if it helps, Ringling doesn't require a "math" class, at least not calculus or anything I wasn't good at math either, so I completely understand.
    Thank you, this is really a relief. I've literally been stressing myself out over that for quite a while. I'll be focusing very hard on my portfolio. And my sketchbook will be posted some time next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry too much about your GPA just work on your portfolio, last week i talked personally with some Ringling alumni Avner Geller and Alonzo Martinez (Both CA) ... some conferences around and they were there!!, they basically told me to work hard on my portfolio, do lots of cafe sketching and life drawing, do not stress and take the process relaxing, make it comfortable and enjoyable, show yourself in your work, that you have potential to go there.

So far i got one piece ready for my portfolio, keep practicing and thinking what i wanna show in my portfolio and how.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! Yeah, I'm trying to not too stress too much and have a lot of fun with the process. I was hoping to post some pictures of some of the pieces I've been working on to get some critiques, I just can't find the charger to my camera...>___>;; But there are 3 pieces I would like to get some critiques on.

I also have a question about the application again, specifically for transfer students. I've emailed admissions about this last week but haven't gotten a response. I'm a little confused about the registrar report (on the common application). I'm not entirely sure what that is. I know for transfer students we are required to get a registrar report done, my question is: Is that how they receive our transcripts? Or it's something completely different and we send in the transcripts separately?

I don't know if I should ask a registrar to complete the report now since I am currently taking a set of classes this semester, and grades get put in this December. I don't know if I should just wait until December to get the registrar report done or ask to get it completed now - and send in my transcripts once my grades are in and hopefully they update that report with the set of credits I earned).

(I kinda want to get most of the application process out of the way so I don't have to worry too much about it.)

EDIT: I JUST FOUND MY CAMERA CHARGER! XD I'll post some of the works I want critiqued. One of them is complete, and the other two are works in progress, I just want to make sure I'm on the right track...

EDIT AGAIN: It won't let upload anything on the site...SO, I'll just link you to a page I just made to post some of my work. There are descriptions at the bottom of each post I made. Here is the link: http://kittywhy.tumblr.com/

Last edited by shybox92; September 14th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, Admissions finally got back to me! I tweeted the twitter for the school, and told me they'd forward my email to admissions again.
    So, it turns out that the registrar report is not required. It's just something that comes up in the common application, and they can't change the format or anything, and they know it may confuse students. I'm glad we don't have to go through the trouble of getting that completed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ringling's on my list as well, although their international scholarships are a bit low for what I'd need... but whatever.

I have a question, though: How important is traditional art for the portfolio? I'm much more confident in my digital skills and I'd rather avoid traditional where possible.

SKETCHBOOK
    TUMBLR | FACEBOOK

come dance with me before you go

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya guys!

I was accepted last year for GAD but had to postpone my acceptance for a year. Needless to say, I'm in the middle of updating my portfolio to readmit for 2014 and am pretty eager to get going I'll try to be as helpful as I possibly can based on the stuff I've learned through the process~

Zandragon - Yes, all admissions except for CA are on a rolling basis. Although, I would recommend cutting yourself off around January because spaces for everything is limited, I believe.

Shybox92 - I'm glad they got back to you! As for your portfolio, your strongest pieces are definitely the last piece with the woman sitting and the guy with the violin, he's actually my favorite . I know these are wips so I'll keep that in mind and my biggest critique would be to consider the underlining anatomy before focusing on values (which you are not bad at, just remember to transition between dark light and not move quickly from one to the other). One way to improve in this area is to study bones and muscles and how they are all put together. Since you are on tumblr, here's one blog that I follow religiously for that reason: http://learninganatomy.tumblr.com/

Drawing from life is great, but you can also consider looking into anatomy books, or looking up references online, etc. Hopefully that's helpful and not just a paragraph of me rambling lol.

Darkrown - Your digital work is very impressive! To be honest, I have seen individuals get accepted doing JUST digital work in their portfolios. Your work is pretty strong as is, but you can always slip in some pencil work, sketches, or gestures - something to show your thought process and that you have a good sense of motion and weight. Really though, it's entirely up to you - I definitely don't think it would significantly hurt your chances to not include any traditional work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello people,

I am interested in taking Computer Animation program at Ringling. If anyone of you is already at Ringling help me by telling me about your experience and how hard I should work to get into it. Right now I really suck at drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys... gonna try to answer as many questions as I can if it helps:

@darkrown - Are you applying for illustration? Digital work will be fine, although you will be doing quite a bit of traditional work here your first year and down the line as well... so I would at least experiment in some different types of media. On that same note, for digital work, try to make most of your studies from life if possible. Avoid mechs/monsters/celebrities and do more of those portrait/environment based things (from life when you can or at least your own photos)... sometimes a personal piece or two is great to throw in, but try not to use anything from the internet to base it off of.

@getbetter Drawing is very important. I know it's 'Computer' Animation, but you will honestly be drawing as much or more than you will even be animating. There is 1 year of foundations (3 drawing classes per semester), 1 year of traditional animation, then 2 years of storyboarding, and a year of another drawing/painting digitally class, oh and you'll also be drawing for animation classes as well (thumbnails and character designs and turnarounds)... so having a good foundation is very important. Work hard, it's not impossible to improve a ton in a year. It's not even impossible to improve amazingly in the years that you are here. As long as you like drawing and want to improve, you will improve, but you need to start working now and then, if you're ready, you'll get in. If you're not ready yet, then wait a year, work hard, and reapply. It's no big deal, and you will be thankful that you have the drawing experience to get you through your classes. Ringling is hard to get in to, but also you want to have the drawing skills so that you can do well when you get here. Getting in is just step 1.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    escaphila- Thanks! Everyone keeps asking me if I applyied already ...It's making me nervous. Why do art school have to be different ? I defiantly want everything done by January since it's my birth month .

Shybot92- Finish the wip .I like the guy with the violin . I also struggle with shading with pencil. I have only now started to improve at it. I started to improve when I stoped using wooden pencils . Try using either clutch pencils or mechanical .. What also helped me was thinking of light and shadows as patterns. Also try using toned paper.it help working from midtones because it makes you work with just the lights and the darks.
    For anatomy I've found these tutorials helpful http://foervraengd.deviantart.com/ar...rt-I-220251993.

Darkrown- I think you will be fine your digital paintings are amazing. Most of portfolio I've seen have a mix of digital and traditional. have a lot of drawings from life .Also it doesn't have to be finished pices. Also what major are you applying for?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    torn between game art and illustration. any thoughts on this, btw?

SKETCHBOOK
    TUMBLR | FACEBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Praemium: Thanks a lot for information! However I would like to ask you few more things, if you dont mind?

I am a Pixel Artist and here are few samples:

Do you think such things will be acceptable as portfolio?

Now one more question; its related to salary/income. Do you think it's worth it? After all after investing huge amounts of money, how much do animators generally earn? Because I am considering money as a big factor as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Praemium: Thanks a lot for information! However I would like to ask you few more things, if you dont mind?

I am a Pixel Artist and here are few samples: Ringling College of Art and Design 2014 Hopefuls

Do you think such things will be acceptable as portfolio?

Now one more question; its related to salary/income. Do you think it's worth it? After all after investing huge amounts of money, how much do animators generally earn? Because I am considering money

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @escaphilia, thank you. I'll keep that in mind! (i gotta admit, i jump around a lot with the shading...due to getting impatient and wanting all areas covered.) also thank you for introducing me to that blog! ill be checking that out!

@zandragon, ill be putting an update on that guy with the violin. ive been pretty busy with college, so i haven't had the chance to finish those wips i had posted. ill look into using those pencils you've mentioned. ive never actually tried to shade with those before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darkrown - Here's the curriculum for both GAD and illustration, just to give you an idea on what each focus on:

https://www.ringling.edu/learn/major...gn/curriculum/
    https://www.ringling.edu/learn/major...on/curriculum/

It also depends on what you want out of the school/your career goals. I'm assuming you have an interest in the game industry, so if you wanted to be a concept or visual development artist you may want to look into illustration, however if you want to focus on world building, animation, and game mechanics then GAD would be a great bet.

GetBetter - While pixel art is a viable artform in itself, I don't know that I would personally include it in my portfolio. If you want to, to show them what your interest is then I would include all your pixel art on one image, or limit it to two if you plan to include 8+ pieces. Then the rest of your portfolio should be art taken from life - still lives, gestures, portraits, etc.

As for it being worth it, in my opinion it depends on what you want out of Ringling and what you are going to do to get there (taking out massive loans vs. having the money to go, for instance). There's a blog that gives the bare bones of what to expect (it recommends not going) here : https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/138c5efd45e9 You can also go here: http://www1.salary.com/Arts-and-Ente...-Salaries.html and click on various jobs and the graphics/info on the bottom will show you base salaries for different jobs in the arts industry.

You can make a living off of your creativity and talent, I do so now without a degree. The reality is though, the U.S. economy is in a dark place right now and there is a lot of uncertainty in the creative industries. You can forge a career and make a decent living, sure, but you need to decide for yourself if it's worth the money (art school is so expensive omg), time and effort. Worst comes to worst, you can always take some time off and save up if you feel like you don't want to go solely off loans.

/rant

Shybox92 - You are very welcome! Yeah, I understand that. I tend to lay down base shading as well, just remember keep working at it until everything has the appropriate values. Usually when you are going to go absolutely nuts from a piece - that's when you are close to finishing xP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, still a tough choice. I am indeed aiming to break into concept art, so Illustration looks like the best match, although GA still looks interesting. Does the illustration major include any 3D classes? I'd really like to pick up some modelling skills.

edit: nevermind, should have properly read the curriculums. I'm dumb, thanks XD

Last edited by darkrown; September 29th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
    SKETCHBOOK
    TUMBLR | FACEBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I'm another hopeful here. I'm applying to RMCAD, SVA, Ringling, and SCAD all for Computer Animation. I'm wondering how important is it that I get some figure drawings into my portfolio, I'm trying to find someone to model for me or signup for a class but I'm having a difficult time with it. Also should I stick to traditional or throw in some digital stuff?

I'll try to upload a few pics of what I have now, which isn't much haha. I'm going to portfolio day this month and I'm trying to get a decent portfolio together for it.

Ah here's a few things that I'm thinking of putting in my portfolio. P.S all of these are really crappy pictures.
    http://owlsbeingowls.tumblr.com/post/46725691321 - Not sure about this one since it's not a life drawing at all.
    http://owlsbeingowls.tumblr.com/post...rt-and-i-chose - I'm not sure if they're ok with celebrity drawings but I really like how this looked.
    http://owlsbeingowls.tumblr.com/post...of-something-i - I know I'm going to include this.
    http://owlsbeingowls.tumblr.com/post...pic-of-my-self - Please just ignore how blurry this picture is, at the moment it's the only picture I have of my self-portrait. I know I'm including this one.

Last edited by Sootyowl; October 9th, 2013 at 11:42 AM.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 117