Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: noob to pro: a list of CA's epic progress sketchbooks

Thanks
    tentativesteps: ~KJK~ added, thanks.

Black Spot: eh, I brought it up only because it seems like these SB list threads tend to be in the lounge instead. But if it's not a big deal to anyone else, it's not a big deal to me.

Maledict: looking through your SB, you've got super impressive design skills. If you put more time towards studying figures, perspective, light and shadow, painting, etc, you could be unbelievable. These robot helmets are insane!

Ian Barker: hah, that's one of the functions of this thread: to light a fire under people. I saw Algen's thread a few months ago--the first insane practice/learning thread I'd ever seen--and it felt like I'd been hit by a semi. I felt abysmal for a while after, but eventually decided to follow his example, though not to the same insane degree.

JakehC: Robogabo was already very good by the time he started his SB thread. Does he have an older SB somewhere? Otherwise, doesn't count, unfortunately (though he's awesome). Bumskee's SB is missing all the images on the first 30-40 pages, but judging by the first reply posts, it sounds like he was already amazing.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Both those guys started from the bottom on the forums. Gabo's old username was Gaboartpage. As far as Min goes, i think he did get rid of his old stuff.

Thanks
    JakehC: argh, what a shame, his Gaboartpage SB is missing all of its images. Too bad. :/

Thanks
    I vote this be stickied so we don't lose the crazy amount of improvement.
    Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 748 Posts
    Woah, first time I've bothered posting in a couple weeks or something, but had to because I saw my name there haha! I can't believe I was included here...I'm glad I can be a bit of an inspiration to some people, although I feel like the other people here outclass me by far. Now I need to work a lot harder because my improvement isn't as good as others and I haven't been working hard lately...

Anyhow, cool idea for a thread! Here is one example that often gets overlooked in my mind: tehmeh. He's ridiculously good haha, unfortunately he deleted a lot of his old images in his sketchbook, but this image here floats around online a fair bit.

tehmeh
    Name:  tehmeh.jpg
Views: 8567
Size:  267.8 KB
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Zombie: that'd be awesome. I also submitted it for inclusion in the next site header montage update, but that's probably a long shot.

Mr. Sonea: yeah, there's so many SBs here gutted of their images, blah. Tehmeh's progress looks absolutely nuts. So fast. Insane drapery in that bottom one. Why the hell do people delete their early images? I'd think it'd be something to be proud of, showing how far you'd come (and in cases like his, how friggin' fast). Anyway, yes, you belong up there, your progress is also bonkers.

Changelog: added Tugelbend

Thanks
    Cool thread! Some sketchbooks I didn't know of here, so thanks
    I cannot even describe the awesome feeling it gives me to see everyone's progression in their sketchbooks. I'm so glad we get to share like this and observe eachother, and learn from one another, make friends, etc. It does make me sad when older posts' images have been removed ;-;
    sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

Thanks
    Love looking through these. MindCandyMan's thread was the one that brought me here Hopefully I'll join the ranks with enough hard work and sweat ><

Thanks
    wow this thread is amazing!! actually i went back to CA because of algenpfleger xD
    I saw once his studies and testimonial on deviantart,and I thought : holy gram! I need to get this hard too xD but never get it seriously..
    Until now..that i was getting really frustrating with schools in my country, so i decided that I'll learn all alone too, if algenpleger did it, i can try also
    so thx for the inspiration!!
    Show me some monsteeeeeers!!!!

Sketchbook Blog Tumblr!

Thanks
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=140758

Similar thread from many years ago.

Thanks
    awesome to see the progress, definitely inspirational to see noobs turn into pros, I still got a coupla/few years to go to get close to that level, but is shows if ya put the effort in it will pay off...

Thanks
    thanks a ton for making this thread

Thanks
    This is by far the best thread on the entire site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2