Unintentionally odd lion head

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Unintentionally odd lion head

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unintentionally odd lion head

Greetings!

I've been staring at this thing for the past couple months and it's driving me crazy. There's something off about the structure of the head, but I can't quite figure out what it is. I can't start on the body till I get the head right so I'm stuck until some kind soul helps me out of the morass of my own making.

Since I'm here, any thoughts on what to use for the mane? I'm thinking about some sort of cable and flex-conduit mixture but I'm worried about it looking too much like dreadlocks.

Thanks in advance
    Andrew
    Name:  Lion head top.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  82.1 KBName:  Lion head three quarter.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  94.6 KBName:  Lion head side.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  79.5 KBName:  Lion head front.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  119.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There doesn't seem to be too much that stands out other than the eye being a bit big, also perhaps the cheekbones need to be accentuated a little more by pushing in halfway down the snout.

Obviously I did the paintover not taking into account the difficulty of shaping the materials.

still looks pretty awesome though.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some things that weren't immediately apparent, but after peering at online photos:

Fore view - chin a bit narrow, causing the snout to be too rounded. Top of head too domed. Sides/cheeks too wide, rounded and high.

Side view - back of head slopes down too much. Depends on the angle of the head, of course! But from what I see it should be parallel or almost parallel with the angle of the nose. The entire head seems a bit narrow, particularly at the back. Maybe pull down the jaw/masseter/ruff as well as raising the back of the head. The nose seems a bit long - that, or the eye is set a little too far back. I'm also unsure about how prominent and uniform the brow is, though I don't know if that's 'artistic license'.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fireblade - Thanks a lot for the paintover, I think you nailed it. Funny how the solution seems so obvious once someone shows you the answer.

Vermis - Thank you very much for the input, your comments highlight the problems beautifully.

I'm starting to think I should junk it and start again rather than try and salvage it. Focus on the broad strokes rather than obsessing about the details. Of course then the question becomes, what makes a lion look like a lion? Any thoughts?

Regards
    Andrew

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grace and power come to mind when I think of a lion.

The trick is to think of long sinuous lines, now this may be difficult when working with hard rigid materials.

Maybe it's worth watching The Lion King and observing how they exaggerate the prominent features of this feline.

Members who have read this thread: 1