Thanked 1,649 Times in 676 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #266 - 50 gestures + optional "Foreshortening Study"

Name:  SCBanner2013.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  306.8 KB
    Deadline: Sunday the 23rd of June.

In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Foreshortening Study", in any medium.

Background
    Foreshortening is the visual effect that occurs when one looks at an object angled at the viewer. Parts that are close by seem enlarged due to perspective, while parts in the distance are smaller. As such, foreshortening is a great way to show form and volume, making it an important and prevalent topic. There is bound to be at least some foreshortening whenever you are drawing figures!
    Foreshortening is also often considered to be tough, as it requires you to wrap your mind around the visual deformation and translate it into a drawing. A good topic for the optional study!
    I had originally planned this exercise as a follow-up after a previous optional study (featuring Ron Lemen's videos), but unfortunately the website downtime intervened. See the reference sources below for useful advise.

Exercise
    Perform a study of a foreshortened pose. This is best done using a reference image of a figure. Feel free to use construction or perspective lines. Both long and short studies are fine.
    Reference
    Link 1 - Image showing a helpful technique for foreshortening (or drawing volume). Part of this guide.
    Link 2 - Ron Lemen's video using 'curved lines' to convey form.
    Link 3, Link 4 - Foreshortening guide. Also utilizes the curved contour lines.

Link 5- Some reference images can be found at Characterdesigns.com, though they tend to be tough.
    Link 6- You can also try the collection of sculpture photographs.

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

Got questions? The Spartan Camp FAQ may help you out!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #265

ancientdrake
    andartarius
    Zombie_chinchilla
    - nat -
    Flashback
    Mayenla

Attached Images Attached Images  

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apparently they're using old backups which is why the forum is loosing it's posts.
    At least the AM is working, only just..

I've been slacking recently because I just did a perspective course, was awesome but now I'm back to the anatomy/gesture practice.
    Daily 60 gestures (in the wrong order)
    Portrait study which went on way too long.

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 824 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ye seriously. you guys do facebook or tumbler? or we can start a shared blog or something. im getting tired of this.

Name:  22_06_13001.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  28.8 KB
    Name:  22_06_13002.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  43.4 KB
    Name:  022_06_1303.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  50.6 KB
    Name:  22_06_13_004.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  39.5 KB
    Name:  redzshare.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  37.7 KB
    Name:  bronts.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  127.5 KB
    Name:  25_06_13_001.jpg
Size:  67.3 KB
    Name:  009.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  68.1 KB
    Name:  30_06_13_001.jpg
Size:  68.8 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was considering that, it would be cool if we had a spartan Facebook group then we could post whenever and keep the crits coming.

Nice gestures Ashess

Last edited by Animare; July 1st, 2013 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that'd be cool. im agnes swart on facebook. anthis, mind if I start one? it would be up, like 24 hour a day and all ^^

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone still having problems? Just checking for good measure.

ashess - Sure, good idea! Would be great for announcements and sharing reference and all that as well. Plus at the moment we can't be sure the forums will stay up. For now it appears everything is running smoothly though.

Putting critique in the next post.

Reposting my previously added gestures, as well as the other ones from last week.

-Posemaniacs warmup
    -stuff from imagination
    -Optional study. Reference: THIS image.

Spartan Camp #266 - 50 gestures + optional "Foreshortening Study"Spartan Camp #266 - 50 gestures + optional "Foreshortening Study"
    Spartan Camp #266 - 50 gestures + optional "Foreshortening Study"
    Name:  266_5.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  151.0 KBName:  266_4.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  157.1 KB
    Name:  266_optional.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  278.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure we're missing out on some contributions from posts that disappeared last week. Repost them if you feel like sharing!

Animare - Yes, I figured there was a rollback to an older state of the server. Or something like that. Either way, I like the gestures a lot. Especially the later ones are very confident. A bit like working with pens, where you only have one shot at getting your line right. The tricky thing with these timed gestures is how you tend to miss out on the hands and feet. I notice this with my own timed gestures as well. Personally, I try to remedy that by sometimes starting with hands/feet and then drawing your way to the rest of the body. That's all I could come up with. Either way, I think you can't go wrong with perspective courses! Also did you notice how strong the shapes are in the elbow area of that longer study? very solid shapes. Probably has something to do with those curved brushmarks?

ashess - Check my last post regarding the FB/tumblr stuff! Also sent you an invite. I sure hope we're back in business around here. You went with some pretty tough and varied studies last week! They seem to be done mostly without construction too (or am I wrong here?). Either way I think that's nice to see. Personally I don't want to rely on always constructing. Are those first couple of sketches done "in the wild"? A cafeteria or something? Either way nice and loose. The study with the lines circling the body is a good one as well. And the last two torsos have some good neck anatomy that might come in handy for this weeks optional study. You're really working on the forms in those last three studies. Keep comparing the relative values of those shaded areas! I'm still trying to get the hang on this, but I usually try to 'save' the darkest values for occlusion shadows and cast shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Anthis, I see what you mean about the elbow, I will try to follow the roundness of the shape instead of just straight lines when painting. Yes defiantly the hands and feet I forget/miss, will give that trick a go.
    I wish I could give you some critique but your work is fantastic as always lol. Really like that longer pose.

Also Ashess I searched for you on Facebook, which agnes swart are you? Lol.
    This is me if you want to add me: https://www.facebook.com/hazelenid.reader a FB group will be awesome!

Last edited by Animare; July 2nd, 2013 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aand our posts are gone again. some1 asked for the facebook page for the group. it's:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/553986194659094/

>>mah tumbr

Members who have read this thread: 1