Question: Proportion equivalent to real height

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Question: Proportion equivalent to real height

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question: Proportion equivalent to real height

As the title says, i'm quite interested in knowing how the proportion system equate to real length or height. I tried searching for this, but haven't found anything close to what i want.
    Specifically i want to use it to determine the height of characters i'm creating. I can think of a way to determine it by precisely drawing over and measuring reference pictures but if you guys have a better way of doing this, i appreciate it. Thanks.
    I'm also fine with being told "go measure it" lol, but let me know how you guys tackle with it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis spends some pages of Figure drawing - for all its worth on various standards (normal, idealized, fashion, heroic) and ages (adult, 15, 12, 10, 5, 3, 1) with respect to proportions.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks just looked it up, i think i kinda missed it on my first look at the book. I haven't read much about it but i looked it up again and it seems to just show it, not talk much about it though. Just a page or two, mentioned and is mostly just illustrated. I guess theres no real guidelines to it. Just have to measure it manually.

To what i see, he has a standard of 9 inches for the head on a 8 heads ideal proportion (and that the ideal height is 6 foot tall), not much info was given on how the size of the head might differ on height (or will it even change), it is also shown that change in head size is on age differences. So does that mean that an asian man with the same 8 head proportion be the same as a westerner with the same 8 head proportion, or will there be difference? Or will the size of the head be same or different on a same age guy with different heights? I don't know maybe i'm just being to detailed on this.

I have more questions sprouting (got a little excited) but this is on a indirect side, what height is considered short or tall on a race, gender or place of origin? Ideal proportion could be different to other countries. I can't help but think that there are a lot of consideration to proportion. Don't mind this question though lol

Kinda throwing a lot of question, sorry i'm a little bit confused on it, might need to research on it, but as i've said maybe the way to this is just manual measuring.

Last edited by Mendics; June 17th, 2013 at 06:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendics View Post
    To what i see, he has a standard of 9 inches for the head on a 8 heads ideal proportion (and that the ideal height is 6 foot tall), not much info was given on how the size of the head might differ on height (or will it even change), it is also shown that change in head size is on age differences. So does that mean that an asian man with the same 8 head proportion be the same as a westerner with the same 8 head proportion, or will there be difference? Or will the size of the head be same or different on a same age guy with different heights? I don't know maybe i'm just being to detailed on this.

I have more questions sprouting (got a little excited) but this is on a indirect side, what height is considered short or tall on a race, gender or place of origin? Ideal proportion could be different to other countries. I can't help but think that there are a lot of consideration to proportion. Don't mind this question though lol

Kinda throwing a lot of question, sorry i'm a little bit confused on it, might need to research on it, but as i've said maybe the way to this is just manual measuring.
    Lots of interesting questions, indeed! There is also the question of how much ideal proportions change through history, and a lot more, but I believe this goes more in the direction of the science of anthropology, and deviates from hardcore art, so if you want answers to these questions, I suggest you look for answers elsewhere.

I don't say this to encourage you. Representational art is about life, which envelopes much more than just art. Eventually, you will find yourself studying history, architecture, literature, folklore, costume design and mechanics, to name but a few. Enjoy the ride!

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also don't think it's too healthy for me to study too much on one particular thing, balancing research and the actual art itself is i guess the end goal to it. I actually give a limited time for me to research just so i don't waste to much time on it. I just can't help it sometimes that when i research something, questions pop up and makes me wonder and excited what the changes will be when i incorporate them. Again, thank you so much for your reply, and yes i'll enjoy it ahaha.

Members who have read this thread: 1