Ow, my hand! D:

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Ow, my hand! D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ow, my hand! D:

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of work at my desk/with my hands over the past year. From standard practice/drawing because that's what I love to do, to free-lance jobs when I can get them. I've never had a problem with my drawing hand before, but then I've done it mostly in small doses where as now its hours a day.

I am wondering if any of you have suggestions that might help me NOT to get carpal tunnel syndrome basically. I am aware of having fairly poor posture (I tend to slouch and or lean, but when I catch myself doing it I make myself sit up straight.) I take breaks/shake my hand out, etc. I still find that my wrist hurts, and the tips of my fingers hurt from gripping my pen/pencils/brushes/stylus, etc. I don't want to draw less, so I imagine there are things that can help me avoid pain from too much time at the desk?

(PS: If it costs money, like ergonomic chairs/mouse pads/keyboards/etc. I just can't afford it. I know it is hard to imagine but I literally do not have even $10.00 to spend on something that isn't my rent. So what I'm really in need of is different ways to hold a pen? Things around the house that might help? Poor-person fixes basically.)

Thanks for any advice anybody has,

Emily

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You gotta stretch that hand a lot.. take breaks and such.. but i think most importantly we as artist need to take care of our body, cause our wrists and fingers are so precious, how do you take care of it? by Exercising regularly and having a healthy diet, cause you know? Turns out veggies and fruits actually help your body function properly and heal itself up when needed. Can't afford Gym membership? youtube is your friend. There is plenty of bodyweight workouts that will relieve the pain in your arms and wrist after a long Drawing session.

You can do push ups, those work pretty well. you can also get one of those pull up bars that you put up the door frame and have your way at it. My favorite though is hand stand push ups, Those are quiet challenging and work your forearms muscles pretty good cause all your weight is laying in your hands.

My point is.. Nutrition and Exercise are the best cure for this. Stretching and getting better ergonomics are only to prevent the problem from getting worse and avoid more pain to add up on the scale.

Mix everything up and that'll definitely help you out a lot.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree. not bragging but I am in great shape and a good athlete. Never touched a weight other then my own. Here is a picture of me a few years back.. I could back flip the height of myself! :0 try getting in push up position then only push your self off your finger tips so there is no palm touching the ground. They call it a ghetto mentality but it's a good thing.

Name:  img649592389.jpeg
Views: 93
Size:  101.1 KB

Last edited by Gibier; June 15th, 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know that is very sound advice. For my part, I do walk/ride my bike everywhere I go (which is partly because I like to walk/ride a bike, and partly because I don't have a car. Forced exercise for the win.) I work outdoors fairly regularly, but beyond that I am not as active/athletic as I once was. I suffer from a bad case of busy mom with more than one job-itis. I have definitely fallen to the bottom of my own priority list and I would probably do well to fix that...

Thanks,

Emily

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If your fingertips hurt... stop gripping your pen so tightly! Also dump any hobbies you have that also make your hands hurt, if any. Pay attention to what seems to make your hands hurt and change your behaviour. If you scribble a lot, slow down and think about putting your lines down precisely. If you tend to make 10 lines where one will do, then you're putting 10 times the strain on your hands.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't really think I was gripping my pen very tightly, that is something I will have to try to catch myself doing. But the extra lines, etc. I'm guilty of that, I'll have to think more and mark less, which is very sound advice, so thank you.

~Emily~

Members who have read this thread: 2