Critique request!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique request!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique request!

Hi guys
    I'm approaching to digital paint and I decided to start with portraits after followed some video on yt and by prokoTV.
    Here I tried to paint first with greyscale and then I tried to color and this is the result! I like it but I know that it could be better.

You can find the sketch in my sketchbook!
    Crits are always welcome guys!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at your SB, you still need to understand the underlying form of the face first. Do some self portraits with a mirror, and keep to pencil before moving on.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Looking at your SB, you still need to understand the underlying form of the face first. Do some self portraits with a mirror, and keep to pencil before moving on.
    Or look at Andrew Loomis's books. Although I'm not that good with anatomy, I still learned a lot from him. He had a very simple way of splitting the human face into easily understandable areas. Though I wouldn't say it's meant for those that are just getting started.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting into digital painting can be tough because it's so much different from normal painting since the 'brush' doesn't exactly pick up the underlying color and blend things together when you stroke. I think the advice above was good, that you might stick to pencil for awhile since there are some obvious anatomical issues. Otherwise, when continuing to digitally paint, you might stick to black and white values for a bit before delving into colors. Aside from the overall shape of the subject, there are some serious depth issues as well, making her look incredibly flat. There would need to be more variations in value to remedy this, and the best way to learn this is by doing black and white.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd also suggest to take a look into color studies.
    The skin looks pale and lifeless. If you use more saturated, but especialy MORE colors to paint skin you will end up with better results.

Here is a good tutorial to help you out:
    klick me or you will regret not to!!

Last edited by BazookaBonsai; June 14th, 2013 at 04:55 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.