Art Pact THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Art Pact THIS IS IMPORTANT!

If You are a professional or hoping to become one then this website will be important for you!

Run by Pros for Pros! Please support it because it will go a long way to helping get rid of bad companies and work for free.

https://www.facebook.com/Pactartist?hc_location=stream

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pa...client-toolkit

"If you look back on last years work and you still like it: you are slipping."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This is important indeed. C'mon people wake up. Randy Gallegos' words on it follow. READ IT!!!

If you are an illustrator (particularly in the fantasy/sci-fi, gaming, videogame, comics or book publishing industry) or aspire to be, this is for you.

I've spent 19 years working as a professional illustrator (Magic, D&D being among my more notable clients). The sad fact is that, industry-wide, over those 19 years I have in general seen wages freeze--even decline--over that same period. Yes, you read that right: in some cases, wages have fallen over what could be made 19 years ago. In most cases they have simply not improved.

To put that in perspective, a $500 commission in 1994 when I started would need to be $785 in today's dollars to have the same buying power. But that same commission is generally still $500 (or LESS) today. Put another way, that $500 commission today has the same buying power as $318 in 1994. So, if wages haven't increased, then they have de facto fallen.

This is an awful trend for anyone who hopes to one day make a living at illustration.

Art school costs have only increased in that time. Nearly everything else has increased in cost as well. This means your odds of earning a living as an illustrator are falling. Every year.

How has this happened?

Let's face it, companies have no motivation to pay more if they don't have to. That goes for big corporations and even for small start-ups with the best intentions. The "dream" of working in these fields means that mostly younger or just-starting illustrators are tempted to undercut on pricing as a way to get a foot in the door. And even working professionals feel forced to simply take what they can get.

This is the wrong approach for many reasons which could be an entire thread.

Of course, once fees are undercut, there is still the problem of nefarious business practices (late or never-paying clients, clients who request far more copyright than they need and don't themselves understand this). Nefarious business practices could be another entire thread.

What to do? Organize. Not a union: in an international market, that's just not feasable. Rather, what if clients had a known reputation and were ranked by it? What if clients had to compete? Illustrators will always go where the grass is greenest: but where is that grass? Is that new company green grass, or weeds?

We believe that when clients are forced to compete with one another, standards will begin to improve. When artists learn that there are better clients, they will leave to work with those clients. The companies left behind will then have to bump up their standards.

Beyond this, we believe that educating illustrators on business-practices also gives them tools for the fight.

Along with artists Todd Lockwood, Jim Pavelec, Aaron Miller and Mike Sass, we are building this tool: PACT (the Professional Artist-Client Toolkit).

PACT is an inexpensive membership-driven system for rating clients, seeing who the good guys are and learning to beware of the bad guys. Learning best practices and getting industry news.

In my 19 years I have not seen an initiative start up with as good a chance at helping the illustration community lift itself up as PACT is. If it doesn't happen, I don't expect to see another one any time soon, and I expect conditions to continue to decline. This is bad for me, and bad for you.

We've consulted with programmers and lawyers to build this thing right. But programmers and lawyers have not deflated their fees the way illustrators have. So we need your help.

Join us. If you can't join us, then consider grabbing some cool art mostly donated for the cause of raising funds. There's a podcast there from 2012's Illuxcon art event where you can learn more.

Help PACT become a reality.

-Randy Gallegos

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

Thanks
    This need far more attention

Thanks
    Maybe this should be re-posted in some other thread with more traffic?

I'm just hoping the more known pros and artists here are paying attention and sharing this
    instead of talking about how big a penis should be drawn or something stupid like that.

RIP Frank.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Line View Post
    Maybe this should be re-posted in some other thread with more traffic?

I'm just hoping the more known pros and artists here are paying attention and sharing this
    instead of talking about how big a penis should be drawn or something stupid like that.
    It's been posted far and wide on FB as far as I know as I've seen it several times.

Thanks
    I know, I've been re-posting it many times per day m'self. I'm just hoping as much people see it as possible,
    we should even PM any artist in our networks, that's what I've been doing. Is it pesky? Yes, but this is a useful
    thing, there's useless stuff out there getting funding many times over this...

RIP Frank.

Thanks
    I can't stress how important this is to ALL of you! In a number of years this could be the difference between working as a freelancer in the industry or waiting tables to make ends meet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gSAz...ature=youtu.be

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Line View Post
    I know, I've been re-posting it many times per day m'self. I'm just hoping as much people see it as possible,
    we should even PM any artist in our networks, that's what I've been doing. Is it pesky? Yes, but this is a useful
    thing, there's useless stuff out there getting funding many times over this...
    I concur with this because illustrators need a voice and legal counsel to take on the industry that tries to 'nickel and dime' us. Especially those who attempt to undercut their professional value needs to be educated on this matter.

Thanks
    Well, let me ask - could these problems stem from an undervalue of art on today's society?

It's the first thing to be cut in public schools, and it's the first thing no one ever seems to to want to buy..

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    If your thinking of working in the SF/Fantasy genre and want to make a living out of it I do suggest you sign up for this.

$29 will get you membership for 2 that's TWO whole years!!! I really do believe in this initiative and if you are serious about your careers then you should as well. This is the last time I will post about this here, so the ball is really in your court from now on...

http://www.illuxcon.com/pact-the-rant/

Thanks
    4 DAYS LEFT
    Hello everyone.

First off, we would like to thank everyone who has thus far supported this little grass-roots project. From those of you who have believed in our goals enough to commit to memberships, or have purchased larger items or mentoring sessions. And of course all the generous support from the artists who have donated their wares to this fundraising effort. Without you all we would not be where we are today.

Where are we today, anyhow? Well, it's been a long and hard battle to get us to this point. Countless hours by the well-oiled team of 5 volunteer organizers have gotten us to a little over halfway to the goal with only a few days remaining to fund this initiative. At this point things are both hopeful and bleak. There has been a lot of late momentum built and support garnered. The 320+ members we have reached validate the aims of the project. The bleak part is the gap remaining to be crossed with little time remaining. We need everyone's help to reach the goal and create a little island of hope and force for change in this difficult and changing profession.

Thus far a few themes have arisen that should be dealt with here for clarity, for those on the fence. First off, we need to reiterate that PACT is not a business or for-profit venture. As volunteers in this effort, nothing is more deflating than to hear criticism of "get a loan and fund the business yourself," or, "what am I guaranteed to get from this??" On the surface, both seem like valid criticisms. The reality is that the founders of PACT are undertaking this effort completely free and at considerable risk; standing up before (but not against) companies and practices that are harming the industry and its artists. PACT is raising funds to create the infrastructure for a set of initial and evolving tools and dialogue. These include the client rating system, database of contracts, legal advice and newsfeed. These are our initial ideas, and we assume once the "home base" is established, the community will help facilitate and evolve PACT's form and its effectiveness. All the members have unique experience that we NEED as a collective. Everyone who has volunteered their time or product to raise funds deserves respect and the benefit of doubt. Every endeavour will have naysayers for various reasons with various agendas. We understand to some PACT may not seem like your best 29$ investment. In that case, please spend that 29$ on a better career-sustaining tool... and then tell us what that was and where we can get one as well!

Digital technology, globalization, competition, de-regulation and fragmenting of professional structures has created a new world where anyone who produces a product that can be digitized and e-mailed now works in an environment without boundaries or standards. The genie is out of the bottle and we all must find a way to survive in this environment. PACT aims to be a voice in the din of this new era; a place where freelancers can go and not be alone in their struggle to carve out a living as respected professionals. At this point PACT has done almost all it can to get the word out and motivate its members. These last few days are critical to get us to the funding goal, so please support and promote this movent the best you can.

Sincerely,

PACT organizing committee.
    That was the latest on Art PACT. So now, let's cut the bullshit... In this world, thinking of Number One doesn't cut it... Hell, even Billionaires work together to make more money, what makes you think that getting better is gonna do all that much for you, with companies paying less, and artists being so dispersed and not working together? We've got artists making paintings worth thousands of dollars, for a measly $300!

So, go out one evening less, don't get that bucket of ice cream to fatten your ass, or eat those damn chips... All this project needed is 1551 artists pitching in $29 each to fund this...we have more people talking in forums about the new bullshit airbrush they bought or the ultra magic formula paint tube that'll make them awesome, just to ask then how to paint penises... Get your heads together, $29 to help support the profession and the future of your career is nothing... Otherwise, just go sell chewing gum dammit!

RIP Frank.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    Its too bad they are so myopic about its focus, all artists should be interested in this. I'm encouraging artists to join so they can help direct and maybe widen its emphasis a little.

Thanks
    The brutal truth for me is, I don't have enough money to pay my bills and feed myself this week as well as donate to two very important projects.

So I need to prioritise. The little bit of money I've got will have to go to one. I cant afford both.

Thanks
    Donated. Pretty close to the goal now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 790 Posts
    I'm so excited that this is finally getting funding. I didn't want to say it out loud, but I really I didn't think it would make it - the supporters were enthusiastic but few in number. But now that it's nearing the end and it's pretty much a sure-thing, people seem to be coming out of the woodwork to sign up. I'm just kicking myself for not grabbing one of those Brom prints before they sold out. It is so awesome!

It looks like someone bought the Boromir painting for 6k - less than $4000 left to go now.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    Almost to their goal now about 1500 to go.

Edit: it is now funded they made their goal with some to spare.

Last edited by dpaint; July 16th, 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Almost to their goal now about 1500 to go.

Edit: it is now funded they made their goal with some to spare.
    Yep!! Amazing, isn't it?!

Thanks
    I didn't think it would get funded either, and already pondered what to do with my contribution if it landed back in my Paypal account. But this exceeds expectations, and I'm glad PACT is going to happen!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maidith View Post
    I didn't think it would get funded either, and already pondered what to do with my contribution if it landed back in my Paypal account. But this exceeds expectations, and I'm glad PACT is going to happen!
    Yeah. This is great for ArtPACT and hope that DreamFuel can get some momentum soon to have results. We'll see what happens.

Thanks
    Only had about 5$ to spare but contributed right before it hit the marker. Job well done, hope this makes things better for the future.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Damn it .
    My dream is to one day become an artist, I am nowhere close yet. But id still like to make a contribution, all of you amazing artists should be properly rewarded for all of those years and dedication that you've put into it. Is there any donation poll still open? Or all closed?

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,663 Posts

Thanks
    Thank you . I'll make sure to check it out!

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 790 Posts
    You could contact the people on the PACT fundraising page and ask if you can still contribute. Sometimes kickstarter campaigns will accept contributions to a paypal account after the deadline has past; if there's enough interest, maybe they will too.

Members who have read this thread: 1