First time here, but no need to be gentle

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: First time here, but no need to be gentle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face First time here, but no need to be gentle

I made an account here about a year ago and have lurked from time to time. I'm set up over on deviantart, but I've been finding it difficult to get/give meaningful critique on that site (especially without a membership) so I'd like to start spending more time over here. Most of what I see, even in the critiques section, is incredible stuff, but I'll definitely try to contribute where I can. Anyway, enough of my rambling.

Here are some of my latest and best pieces (and one work in progress) that I think might benefit me most in receiving critique for any of them. Most of my illustration oriented college classes are behind me, and I'm out for the summer, so I'm feeling pretty critique starved at the moment. As the title implies, no need to sugar coat it. Any advice or criticism will be much appreciated. Thanks!

(PS Sorry about two of them being fanart, I know this site is more about original concepts.)
    (PPS There are a lot of things wrong with the Altair image, I'd mainly like critique on the face though.)

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, first of all, welcome to CA.
    About your Altair fan art, I think you should study references so you can get the a good grasp of anatomy first. In your image, his face seems too round, and the proportions of the eyes for example, are wrong.
    For your "fairy" creature, it seems that you rendered as much as you could the eye, and the rest seems unfinished with the different textures. Her anatomy seems strange too.
    I'll see if I can do a paintover (if you don't mind, of course...) later!
    In overall, is clear to me that you have spend a lot of time rendering, but you should focus on the basics first, that is anatomy, lights and shadows, and composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have nice rendering, but you should forget about it for a while (although seems a bit as if you would be using burn/dodge; don't do that, at least on photoshop). Seems like you don't have a good grasp on the underlying structure of the head, and it shows through. Practice drawing the skull, then add flesh and skin.

Keep it up, you're in the right way .

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by L!nK View Post
    Well, first of all, welcome to CA.
    About your Altair fan art, I think you should study references so you can get the a good grasp of anatomy first. In your image, his face seems too round, and the proportions of the eyes for example, are wrong.
    For your "fairy" creature, it seems that you rendered as much as you could the eye, and the rest seems unfinished with the different textures. Her anatomy seems strange too.
    I'll see if I can do a paintover (if you don't mind, of course...) later!
    In overall, is clear to me that you have spend a lot of time rendering, but you should focus on the basics first, that is anatomy, lights and shadows, and composition.
    I think I see what you mean on Altair, his chin/jaw area isn't really square enough. It does sound like I need to start doing more practice sketches and less attempts to create finished work. Thanks for the critique! You absolutely can do a paintover, that might actually help me a lot to see what I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Quike Garcia View Post
    You have nice rendering, but you should forget about it for a while (although seems a bit as if you would be using burn/dodge; don't do that, at least on photoshop). Seems like you don't have a good grasp on the underlying structure of the head, and it shows through. Practice drawing the skull, then add flesh and skin.

Keep it up, you're in the right way .
    Good to know, and I'm glad you think the rendering looks nice since I've been working pretty hard on that. I think you're right though, a lot of the problems I have when rendering can probably even be attributed to bad anatomical structure as well (things not looking right and subsequently trying to fix the wrong problems). Practicing some skulls might be fun for a change too, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think where you fall short the most is in your understanding of facial anatomy. My advice would be to learn to draw skulls. Study the human skull and learn to simplify it. Doing this will allow you to not only gain an understanding of the proportions of the face, but also the bony protrusions of the skull that are visible on the face. For instance, the rim of the eye socket, the beginning of the bridge of the nose, the zygomatic arch that lifts the cheek just below the eye and on the side of the face, etc.

When there is no understanding of the skull, features tend to become too round and formless.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to CA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will just go trough them one by one, ok?
    May become a bit lenghty, so consider this the tl;dr warning

Definetly my favorite of the bunch.
    The armor design looks great. I like the idea, the shapes of the armor plates you were going for and especialy the flag on the left shoulder.
    It could have been improved by putting in some consideration for the human in the armor, how he moves and how the armor will reacts to his movements.
    Also, the gun...
    Try to paint them using a reference at first if you are unshure. Also study the mechanics of said guns. It will help you to understand why they look and work the way they do.

The face
    Granted, I am not a pro in faces myself (no kidding, screw up noses to this day), but there're problems with the proportions (the eyes look off and the nose looks dislocated) and the lighting (It makes the head look extremely flat). Lips and chin look great, however.
    Also, the hand in the foreground, holding the fruit of eden (I think that's how it was called in AC) are hard to make out and rather irritating. Less blur or leaving them out entirely would have helped.

Dat eye.
    It is clear that you put alot of work into that one and it's likely that this eye is supposed to be focus of the picture. It looks gorgeous. You also got many other parts of the person very well (The nose actualy doesn't look out of place here) but the chin and lips look very pointy. This may have been a style choice, just figured I should point it out.
    The teeth, however, bring me into an awkward position, because explaining this problem is barely possible without a redline. Request one and Ill do one, ok? Lets just say: Also consider your perspective for the jaw.
    You may also want to use more saturated colors, but this is more a thing of personal preference here : P

#4 (Your WIP, I assume)
    Looks actualy very promicing. It shows that you have a good understanding of the facial proportions, or proportions in general. (It's a more recent one, isn't it?)
    I'd realy love to see the final version of this picture.

Overall: Good works so far. They have their flaws, but hey: We are here to learn, aren't we? Keep up the good work.
    Until then and welcome to CA

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BazookaBonsai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aburnier View Post
    I think where you fall short the most is in your understanding of facial anatomy. My advice would be to learn to draw skulls. Study the human skull and learn to simplify it. Doing this will allow you to not only gain an understanding of the proportions of the face, but also the bony protrusions of the skull that are visible on the face. For instance, the rim of the eye socket, the beginning of the bridge of the nose, the zygomatic arch that lifts the cheek just below the eye and on the side of the face, etc.

When there is no understanding of the skull, features tend to become too round and formless.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to CA!
    That seems to be the consensus here, I'll give that a shot today I think.

I will just go trough them one by one, ok?
    May become a bit lenghty, so consider this the tl;dr warning

Definetly my favorite of the bunch.
    The armor design looks great. I like the idea, the shapes of the armor plates you were going for and especialy the flag on the left shoulder.
    It could have been improved by putting in some consideration for the human in the armor, how he moves and how the armor will reacts to his movements.
    Also, the gun...
    Try to paint them using a reference at first if you are unshure. Also study the mechanics of said guns. It will help you to understand why they look and work the way they do.

The face
    Granted, I am not a pro in faces myself (no kidding, screw up noses to this day), but there're problems with the proportions (the eyes look off and the nose looks dislocated) and the lighting (It makes the head look extremely flat). Lips and chin look great, however.
    Also, the hand in the foreground, holding the fruit of eden (I think that's how it was called in AC) are hard to make out and rather irritating. Less blur or leaving them out entirely would have helped.

Dat eye.
    It is clear that you put alot of work into that one and it's likely that this eye is supposed to be focus of the picture. It looks gorgeous. You also got many other parts of the person very well (The nose actualy doesn't look out of place here) but the chin and lips look very pointy. This may have been a style choice, just figured I should point it out.
    The teeth, however, bring me into an awkward position, because explaining this problem is barely possible without a redline. Request one and Ill do one, ok? Lets just say: Also consider your perspective for the jaw.
    You may also want to use more saturated colors, but this is more a thing of personal preference here : P

#4 (Your WIP, I assume)
    Looks actualy very promicing. It shows that you have a good understanding of the facial proportions, or proportions in general. (It's a more recent one, isn't it?)
    I'd realy love to see the final version of this picture.

Overall: Good works so far. They have their flaws, but hey: We are here to learn, aren't we? Keep up the good work.
    Until then and welcome to CA
    Awesome critique, very in-depth. No such thing as a TL;DR when it comes to someone taking the time to critique my stuff.

I used references on #1, but only to get the armor to match with the lore, nothing really direct. I definitely like your advice though about making it look more functional for the human inside. I think it turned out bulkier than the armor does in the game it's from.

I definitely need to keep working on faces. It seems like I can often get it looking right in the sketch phase, but then something obscures during the shading/rendering phase and it doesn't look right in the end. I'll try the skull drawings that were suggested above, then I think I might try doing preliminary/loose shading during the sketch phase to get a basic idea of the various 'peeks and valleys' of the face before delving into rendering. I really want to get my next piece as right as possible (the one with the girl wearing a helmet) so I might post it again once I get a little farther into it.

The "red line" request you mentioned, is that a website feature I'm not aware of or did you just need my permission to draw on it? Either way, I'd definitely appreciate it if you have the time.

Also, thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone! I'm off to draw some skulls, bbl

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LepidopteranMenace View Post

The "red line" request you mentioned, is that a website feature I'm not aware of or did you just need my permission to draw on it? Either way, I'd definitely appreciate it if you have the time.
    Here you go, bro.
    Hope it helps
    First time here, but no need to be gentle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woa, that was terrifying to scroll down to. I definitely see what you mean though. When it's drawn like that, it looks like her cranium might be a bit large as well. Thanks for taking the time to show me that.

Next time I draw a face and notice something wrong with it that I can't figure out how to fix, I'm totally drawing a freaky skull over the top of it to help spot the errors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it helps, go forth. : P
    I use alot of help sketches to find errors, including simplified skeletons, perspective lines etc.
    My understanding may still be flawed, but it prevents me to do absolutely terrible mistakes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.