my human proportions are not improving much

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my human proportions are not improving much

i feel like I came to a stop to improving my human figure drawing. I've taken 5 life drawing classes and have been reading anatomy books and figure drawing for a while, and try my best to sketch people in restaurants when life drawing classes are no longer available to me, carefully measure everything the best I can. But when it comes to creating figure in my own head, I still mess up my proportions somewhere, I could take an entire day to fix the problem. I was told to use reference but I feel like I'm only limited to poses I could copy.

I know the average proportion of the human figure, watched and read how other artists contructed, do some people just takes that much longer to improve?
    my printers down so I can't show you any examples right now but in my sketchbook i think i do have a few recent studies.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at your sketchbook, if it's any indication of your current skill, I think it's because you are not very good at measuring in general. Not just with the human figure; even the boxes and mugs you sketch turn out lopsided.

I'd recommend learning to build formal perspective, and see perspective in objects around you.

Book recommendation: "Perspective Made Easy" by Norling.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to internalize the human proportions, until alarm bells start ringing in your head when things are off. In my opinion, life drawing and sketching is only part of the game: you need to study a simplified model of the human body, and keep trying, getting feedback, rinse and repeat. Hale's box model works for me, others use Loomis' mannikin. It is not an easy, pleasant or artistic task: work on getting things right, without details, without making beautiful drawings.

Grinnikend door het leven...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback.
    at arenhaus, I have read that book already, but I'll look at it again,
    at eezacque, I haven't heard of hale yet, ill def check it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh your talking about drawing nevermind I was getting worried!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    arenhaus, I have read that book already, but I'll look at it again
    It is not about reading it, it is about doing the exercises until you internalize the method and grow some intuitive understanding of how perspective works. Build those boxes and houses.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason im having a hard time viewing your sketches so I can't see your problem, but if you are having a hard time with anatomy and proportion trying learning from pictures instead of moving life. The human figure is very hard to master and it takes nothing but practice. Start by drawing the basic shape of the figure without details, and without cloths. Have you ever been to posemaniacs.com or seen any of the art model books? If not you should check that out, look at their bodies and look where certain parts fall in relationship with the rest of the body, for example when standing in a straight pose the elbows will fall a little above the belly button and the wrist will fall in line with the uh...crotch region. The head will be in the center of the shoulders, and if you measure the head to crotch region will be about the same as the crotch region to the bottom of the feet. Keep in mind that everyone is shaped differently. Some people have shorter legs, arms and shorter torso ect. Also if you are having a hard time seeing your mistakes look at your drawing through a mirror and if your doing digital work flip your canvas. Most of all practice practice practice, draw every day if you have to!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 2