Sketchbook: ~The Quest for Improvement~

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

~The Quest for Improvement~

Hi everyone! I've wanted to post a sketchbook here in hopes of getting constructive criticism (nd also making myself work harder). Although I have both a tumblr and deviantART, I've never gotten a lot of criticism (as much as I hoped to get!) and I feel really stuck in the area of improvement. So, I hope you enjoy my sketches and please feel free to post criticism, it is much appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Some sketches from today! Haven't drawn a whole lot because it was my brothers b-day today (yay!) These are just some quick gesture-y type thingamabobs. The top two (the woman and the man with the ball) were both reffed, but everything else was done out of imagination.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is some new stuff for the day! Quick landscape, a rough head study (reffed), and a prize I'm working on for someone on deviantART.
    Name:  tumblr_mo3epg3AIi1r5pbblo1_500.png
Views: 205
Size:  191.4 KB
    Name:  tumblr_mo3epg3AIi1r5pbblo3_1280.png
Views: 206
Size:  428.8 KBName:  tumblr_mo3epg3AIi1r5pbblo2_1280.png
Views: 214
Size:  664.1 KB

Last edited by Kalyith; June 9th, 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Rough WIP of a gift I'm working on for a friend. I know there is something wrong with it, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Any suggestions?
    Name:  kota.png
Views: 188
Size:  425.2 KB

More stuff from today! :]
    ...Sometimes I forget to add the hands when I do these imagination gestures lol. These were all done in roughly 30 minutes.
    Name:  30minbodies.png
Views: 186
Size:  545.8 KB
    Quick head color test. Haircut was inspired by the look my churches' assistant pastor was sporting this morning. This took about 30 minutes.
    Name:  head2.png
Views: 185
Size:  207.8 KB
    Some color thumbnails...I really need to work on my landscapes. These were about 5 minutes (or less) each I think.
    Name:  thumbs.png
Views: 188
Size:  284.7 KB

I've been seeing screenshot studies all over the place and figured I should try to do that as well. I did use the color picker sometimes to get my colors back on track, but it didn't help much. This was tough! I should try to do these more. Doesn't look a *ton* like the ref....I'll just call this an interpretive study...yeah, that's it...
    Reference is C.A.P from the kpop band Teen Top.
    Name:  CAPstudy.png
Views: 180
Size:  788.7 KB

I was just about to ask you if the latest one was from a Kpop musicvideo! A friend of mine got me into kpop a bit and I have to admit, it's really growing on me. Really like BigBang's 'Fantastic Baby'. Something I've noticed is that the musicvideos are so insanely well produced with interesting lights and shapes and colors. Definitely worth studying.

As for the study, the lighting in the original is diffuse, which means there won't be any strong relations between light and shadow which can be tricky. You're off to a good start though. My critique would be to push the darks in the hair a bit more, especially in the braids around his neck. The one's to our left needs to be darker, and the one's to our right needs to be lighter. You've also got some hard edges in the face where they shouldn't be (especially around the lips and nose). See how the red lips really blend together with his skintone in a very soft gradient? actually, notice how soft everything in the face is. Use a soft-round brush and work it some more

other than that, looking good! keep on enjoying! and welcome to CA!

Last edited by DefiledVisions; June 9th, 2013 at 08:49 PM.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

@ DefiledVisions
    I know right! Big Bang is one of my favourites, their videos are crazy, but pretty interesting. Kudos to the producers, they do a wonderful job (most of the time haha!)

Ok, so building on your advice I went back and touched up the picture using a soft brush. I also noticed a couple of things wrong with his expression and tried to fix those problems as well. I haven't used a soft brush in so long, I'm kind of in awe of the results lol. Definitely will try to use this more.
    Name:  screencapstucdy.png
Views: 165
Size:  359.0 KB
    I did these before I tried to fix up the other picture just tryin' to get a handle on using a soft brush again.
    Name:  softfaces.png
Views: 160
Size:  145.5 KB
    A couple of bodies done earlier as well while I was playin' around.
    Name:  Bodies.png
Views: 161
Size:  111.3 KB

I've had a really gnarly headache for most of the day, but I think its going away now. :]
    Just now getting in some drawing for the day. Here are some heads to remind me that everyone doesn't look the same haha.
    Name:  faces.png
Views: 147
Size:  272.2 KB

Last edited by Kalyith; June 11th, 2013 at 02:14 PM.

Soft-round brush takes some time to get used to. What I find bothersome is that it doesn't give any texture. When working with oils or pencils I find that the softer I try to paint, the more of the canvas/paper texture comes out. When I press hard the lead or paint overrides the texture. Though, maybe it's just me

The screencap study looks much better now that you went in and softened it a bit. Great! keep enjoying and exploring!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

@ DefiledVisions
    I think the fact that soft brushes dont give off texture is the reason why I stopped using the soft brushes and switched to a flat, hard brush. I am not very famiiar with oil painting, but I know where you're coming from on the pencil thing. That happens to me as well. :]
    Thanks!

Random lady. Not sure if I like this one or not.
    Name:  ninjalady.png
Views: 125
Size:  214.7 KB

Some quickie sketches from today!

Name:  DSC_0725.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  167.2 KB

CA is acting wierd, oh well!
    This is a glass value study I did this morning. I'm not too pleased with the results, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

Name:  glassie.png
Views: 89
Size:  307.7 KB

Some reffed landscape studies. Really gotta work on my landscapes.

Name:  landscapes.png
Views: 90
Size:  1.00 MB

So I've been seeing a lot of reimagined series/characters lately and I decided..hey, why dont I try that? I chose Naruto because it's what got me into drawing, even if I don't watch/read it much anymore. I kinda went for a sci-fi feel, hope that comes across.
    I'm thinking in this world, charka is an energy source rather than an inherit ability that most ninjas have. Only certain individuals can handle the stress of having the energy connected directly to their bodies and those who can take the most stress are the jinchuuriki so they can afford to attach more chakra into their bodies. They are victims of experiments and yadda yadda....I picked my three favourites, and I hope you guys like them. :]

Name:  redesigns.png
Views: 86
Size:  1.21 MB

Nice job with Naruto Reimagined. I am surprised Saskue isn't in there haha. I thought Naruto was Justin Bieber for a second, the glow on the tails is very nice. Keep it up.

If you have a moment, Help me improve with critiques. thank you Sketchbook

Awesome Sketchbooks
    nim Mechanical Man King Kostas

Great landscape studies! Middle one is wonderful Keep it up, looks like you are doing the right things.

TNiznet: Thanks! Sasuke is actually my least favourite character. I thought about drawing him, but I just couldn't bring myself to doing it.
    JordyLakiere:Thanks, Jordy! I hope I am. Kinda feel like I'm not getting anywhere at the moment, lol.

Slightly nervous to be posting this now, as I was just trying out the technique you used in Art Stuff Ep. 11.
    Tried the tree...
    Name:  treee.png
Views: 48
Size:  331.0 KB
    Then I tried it on a face which was pretty hilarious to look at for the first 15 minutes of the painting. (This is one of my characters btw.)
    Name:  headses.png
Views: 54
Size:  361.0 KB

Study of Diego Velazquez's painting "Portrait of a Man"...well, part of it anyway.

Name:  repaint.png
Views: 45
Size:  221.4 KB

And then I went back to touch this up a little bit because the values were bothering me. I think it looks a bit better now.
    Name:  headses.png
Views: 48
Size:  238.4 KB

Edit: Whoops forgot these movie gestures. :] There are roughly 76 I think? I'm not sure if I miscounted or not.

Name:  poses.png
Views: 46
Size:  445.6 KB

Name:  poses2.png
Views: 45
Size:  508.8 KB

Members who have read this thread: 1