Thanks

PACT Fundraising

Thought I'd spread the word on this one.

PACT: Professional Artist-Client Toolkit

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I found out about this recently too. Looks very interesting and is encouraging. I'm not yet a professional so I feel quite fortunate to be able to hear about this kind of thing before getting my hands dirty. Seems very worthwhile to spread the word about it to me.

Here's some inspiration http://allartnopay.tumblr.com

Thanks
    Looks really cool, unfortunately I don't even have a dollar to spare...........;_: poor student + living costs. Hope some of the more successful people out there can at least donate 5 dollars or more, I'd love to see this happen.

Thanks
    Poor excuse my friend...it's 5 bucks not a truck of gold...
    "Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I don't know if this model is the silver bullet. My art is not enough to support me tbh. So I'm in no position to "tell it like it is". But here are my concerns.
    -There's no proof of concept to begin with in terms of the site.
    -If supply out weighing demand is the source of the issue, that means a hostile environment could fallow based on the premise.
    -crowd funding a paid membership site strikes me as a double negative.

Not calling them greedy, but this is a red flag.
    Finally, once the site is live we will have to moderate it. This means time away from paying gigs. It would be hypocritical of me to ask people to work on moderating the site for free. The whole point of this endeavor is to help people get paid what they are worth, and that is what I will do, and that is why we need the funds.
    I know their intentions are good, so don't take this as me discrediting their idea.

Thanks
    4 DAYS LEFT
    Hello everyone.

First off, we would like to thank everyone who has thus far supported this little grass-roots project. From those of you who have believed in our goals enough to commit to memberships, or have purchased larger items or mentoring sessions. And of course all the generous support from the artists who have donated their wares to this fundraising effort. Without you all we would not be where we are today.

Where are we today, anyhow? Well, it's been a long and hard battle to get us to this point. Countless hours by the well-oiled team of 5 volunteer organizers have gotten us to a little over halfway to the goal with only a few days remaining to fund this initiative. At this point things are both hopeful and bleak. There has been a lot of late momentum built and support garnered. The 320+ members we have reached validate the aims of the project. The bleak part is the gap remaining to be crossed with little time remaining. We need everyone's help to reach the goal and create a little island of hope and force for change in this difficult and changing profession.

Thus far a few themes have arisen that should be dealt with here for clarity, for those on the fence. First off, we need to reiterate that PACT is not a business or for-profit venture. As volunteers in this effort, nothing is more deflating than to hear criticism of "get a loan and fund the business yourself," or, "what am I guaranteed to get from this??" On the surface, both seem like valid criticisms. The reality is that the founders of PACT are undertaking this effort completely free and at considerable risk; standing up before (but not against) companies and practices that are harming the industry and its artists. PACT is raising funds to create the infrastructure for a set of initial and evolving tools and dialogue. These include the client rating system, database of contracts, legal advice and newsfeed. These are our initial ideas, and we assume once the "home base" is established, the community will help facilitate and evolve PACT's form and its effectiveness. All the members have unique experience that we NEED as a collective. Everyone who has volunteered their time or product to raise funds deserves respect and the benefit of doubt. Every endeavour will have naysayers for various reasons with various agendas. We understand to some PACT may not seem like your best 29$ investment. In that case, please spend that 29$ on a better career-sustaining tool... and then tell us what that was and where we can get one as well!

Digital technology, globalization, competition, de-regulation and fragmenting of professional structures has created a new world where anyone who produces a product that can be digitized and e-mailed now works in an environment without boundaries or standards. The genie is out of the bottle and we all must find a way to survive in this environment. PACT aims to be a voice in the din of this new era; a place where freelancers can go and not be alone in their struggle to carve out a living as respected professionals. At this point PACT has done almost all it can to get the word out and motivate its members. These last few days are critical to get us to the funding goal, so please support and promote this movent the best you can.

Sincerely,

PACT organizing committee.

The latest on Art PACT. Let's cut the bullshit...In this wold, thinking of Number One doesn't cut it...Hell, even Billionaires work together to make more money, what makes you think that getting better is gonna do all that much for you, with companies paying less, and artists being so dispersed and not working together? We've got artists making paintings worth thousands of dollars, for a measly $300!

So, go out one evening less, don't get that bucket of ice cream to fatten your ass, or eat those damn chips...All this project needed is 1551 artists pitching in $29 each to fund this...we have more people talking in forums about the new bullshit airbrush they bought or the ultra magic formula paint tube that'll make them awesome, just to ask then how to paint penises... Get your heads together, $29 to help support the profession and the future of your career is nothing... Otherwise, just go sell chewing gum dammit!

@Raoul Duke. I understand your concern Raoul, however don't you feel that doing nothing is even worse than trying for something? Making money off this site isn't the prime objective of the founders anyway, they could have probably started this in a forum type, anonymously, let everyone start bashing companies and clients, and generate more traffic and revenue than with this one.

The idea behind the site is clear, I'm not sure what more you need on how the site would work, it's been explained all over. The base of the issue isn't supply being more than demand, you have more commercial art being output more than any time in the past I think. This thing, as well as the contract part ect, is just as valid for folks working within a company. If there's two flaws of the promotion of the whole project, which have been explained in various instances all this time, it's that it should have been geared towards illustration in general, and also include those who aren't freelancers, but I can understand the grounds on which the initial step was taken, they are freelances of the fantasy/sci-fi genre.

Lastly, crowd funding any project, is the same as this, because anything being made will then be sold yes? A crowd funded game, will then be sold to both those who supported it's funding, and those who didn't right? It's the same thing.
    "Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    These guys only have 2 grand and 3 days to go. If I had the mad money I'd definitely kick in. I really want to see how this works out.
    I'll say when it comes to bargaining for more pay it's all about leverage. Clearly clients can always find another artist, but we can not just find another client.

Comics had the same problem 20 years ago. The artists were underpaid, overworked and undervalued. So all of Marvel and DCs big names banded together and started Image comics. It worked out pretty well for everybody that took the stand.
    PACT Fundraising
    I know this sounds shitty, but I'm saving my money for Dreamfuel. DF creates better leverage to change circumstances. If your work draws a crowd You can dump shitty clients and prove you can live without them.
    I know it's a longshot. Making it on your own is harder than the safety of a job. But if you wanna take a stand show them what happens when you take your ball and go home.
    You know I'm not bias toward CA. If you haven't noticed my criticism of business practices around here since the $60 downloads you haven't been paying attention.