Oleg art - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oleg art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you've got a good grasp of details (although I can tell a lot of people here don't like the style, I didn't want to critique based on personal taste) which can certainly make things more interesting to look at sometimes. It can definitely be good to have the imaginative foresight to pack in the details. Sometimes one might find himself needing more details in a certain area of their painting but coming up blank on what to add, so it's good that you have so many ideas of things to add.

Details aren't always the best idea though, depending on what you're going for. For instance, if you're doing a full illustration with colors/background/etc details are a design element that is typically only used on part of the figure, where you want your viewer's eyes to be drawn to most. That being said, these drawings don't seem to really be going for that kind of finished look, so as strictly character concepts, they work for the most part.

The thing that bothers me the most though are the feet on some of the pictures. The big orc's feet look alright to me, but the other ones seem to be pointed downward at odd angles, as if your characters were standing on a slope of some sort. Other times they don't seem to be on the same plain as each other (one foot slightly higher or tilted than the other) which can sometimes work if you draw uneven ground beneath their feet, but with just a pure white background, it doesn't read well. The other tricky thing with feet is that since they tend to have the most amount of depth variation in these poses, the shading may have to become a bit more dynamic overall to make them work with the rest of the model. That is, more shading on the shins to send them backwards, lighter shading on the toes, and of course the rest of the model's shading would need to correspond with this as well.

That's all I really have to critique about them though at this stage. I would also like to say, however, that getting offended about critique, no matter how cruel you think it might be, does not serve and artist well if they're looking for social connections or jobs. If, say, you had these drawings in a drawer and somebody found them and started bad-mouthing your work, that would be a different story since they were kept in a more private space. Since you are putting them up in a public place though, especially when asking for critiques, you will inevitably look bad if you offer any kind of negative, non-constructive resistance to public opinion about your work. It's a harsh world out there for anyone trying to get noticed, whether that be advertisers, musicians, entire companies, etc. Everyone and everything is subject to the harshest criticisms imaginable when in the public eye. If you want to be successful at art, you'll have to accept that with good spirits. The great thing about publicising your work with other artists on boards like this is that they've been subjected to the same scrutinies at some point in the past, so many of them will know what the public might say or think about your work AND they will be able to suggest (with informed opinions) ways in which you can avoid potential scrutiny later on when it may actually matter a lot more to you. So do not attack them. No artist is perfect, and the more humbled you are, the less likely you will be to (intentionally or unintentionally) overlook the flaws in your art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LepidopteranMenace Thanks for the critique. You caught some interesting moments. But I disagree with your last paragraph.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigersent View Post
    But I disagree with your last paragraph.
    You can disagree with anything, everyone has opinions, but what facts do you base your disagreement on?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But I disagree with your last paragraph.
    This kind of dismissive statement is what makes you come through as a rude and unreasonable snotty teenager instead of an artist trying to learn and thrive.

Your art has flaws. Everybody's art has flaws. The sooner you accept them and see them, the sooner you'll be able to correct them.

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    See this is what the Sketrchbook section has turned into. Its now turned into the thread starter coming here asking for advice, then people giving it, and then he starts flaming. Like I was saying on google hangouts the other day, nobody really wants any critque, all they want is "yes thats awesome", " Great work" remarks, and nothing more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Schnaps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by markmaker View Post
    nobody really wants any critque, all they want is "yes thats awesome", " Great work" remarks, and nothing more.
    No, you wrong. Its not this case. I am not much cared if you say
    my work is great. Its not doing anything material for me and more important - I know how good I am. I thought lately internets were so empty, and everybody just want to wine about personality's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quike Garcia View Post
    This kind of dismissive statement is what makes you come through as a rude and unreasonable snotty teenager instead of an artist trying to learn and thrive.

Your art has flaws. Everybody's art has flaws. The sooner you accept them and see them, the sooner you'll be able to correct them.
    I am not a teenager (I am too old btw) but I dont see anything in been rude. You've got some butthurt from rude people? I didnt say that you a fagtard or anything. And from this thread I already learned a lot things that I will pay attention in my other artworks.

Last edited by Tigersent; June 11th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pros use their knowledge of anatomy to give their characters life.

Half your characters have no weight to them and are off balance.

Hope that helps.

BTW, Polish vodka is better than Russian vodka, don't argue with me I know this to be fact.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fireblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    T
    Half your characters have no weight to them and are off balance.

Hope that helps.
    Yeah, it helps. I will add more weight and make new characters much heavier. Will think more about pose and ground.

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    BTW, Polish vodka is better than Russian vodka, don't argue with me I know this to be fact.
    I could live with that. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont see anything in been rude. You've got some butthurt from rude people? I didnt say that you a fagtard or anything.
    See? Using words like butthurt or fagtard in a polite conversation makes you seem rude, even if you're not calling it to anybody.

This and dismissing critiques with an "I don't need this" or "I know how good I am". Not polite.

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 41