Oleg art

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oleg art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oleg art

Hello guys. Some of my concepts for you to critique.
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art
    Oleg art

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All these drawings are smothered in gratuitous detail on top of a rather formulaic structure. It seems to me that you are imitating the looks of a favorite style of yours, without really trying to understand all the internal works under that style.

Try to draw something less baroque. Like a nude woman in a calm pose. If my hunch is right and you are imitating the superficial stuff, it will show the real degree to which you are understanding the human and animal form. (And form in space in general). More importantly, it will show you where you have to improve that understanding. It may turn out that all the spikes and skulls and jaggies are getting in your way.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arenhaus Thx for the comment. So you defined it like "baroque". It made me smile.
    I dont see a purpose of drawing a nude woman in a calm pose. I think its pretty boring. I am graduated at my university with a highest degree at painting and drawing, if you interested in my traditional skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigersent View Post
    I dont see a purpose of drawing a nude woman in a calm pose. I think its pretty boring. I am graduated at my university with a highest degree at painting and drawing, if you interested in my traditional skills.
    The purpose is to see if you actually understand the human form. It's not to make a finished work of art, it's to test to see how much you actually know. Arenhaus suspects the best way to improve your drawings is not necessarily the detail and design, but to improve the more fundamental thing of the human form.

Most university art programs suck so graduating from one doesn't necessarily mean you can draw, but if you showed some of your work from that time people here might be able to help better.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lulie I dont want you to critique my understanding of human form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Then why are you on this site sharing your work? This is a place where people try to help each other by pointing their mistakes, if you are unwilling to comply then why join in the first place?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with Arenhaus and Lulie. It looks like there's a decent germ of human form in there somewhere (massive legs notwithstanding) but it's all so buried under WoW-style ridiculousness that it's difficult to tell. Might help to put that to one side, for a short while.

Last edited by Vermis; June 8th, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keremcantarhan Besides understanding of human form there are a lot others "things" in concept piece to discuss.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like double-headed warhammers?

Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with you Tigersent, there are many things to discuss in concept pieces. But to have a good discussion, this thread is really helpful.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aqualeot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lulie I dont want you to critique my understanding of human form.
    Then why were you asking for critique in the first place? To waste our time?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Oleg

I must agree with some of the others. Both in terms of critique but also your response. Challenging a valid critique with comments about how good you are just makes you sound like a snotty teenager. That will not endear you to anybody here. Remember no one here is obligated to reply to you at all, they do it out of the goodness of their hearts (and many people here graduated 20 years ago and have been working professionally ever since so their opinion on your art is, trust me on this, way more valid than yours or mine). This is a really great site and if you play nice you will get more help than you can imagine.

Cheers

D'Arcy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Expand your range of values. Using darker values for your shadow areas will help reduce some of the visual clutter in the images and make things tighter.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keremcantarhan Besides understanding of human form there are a lot others "things" in concept piece to discuss.
    Sure there are, but like others have mentioned, these come off as WoW fancharacters (you basically have all Horde races there) that mimic comic art style and all the characters have basically one expression, and that's "angry" so only few of them show any actual character. All the armors look like you cherrypicked WoW armory and added a ton of more details and spikes that end up killing any individuality they may have.
    And because there's vary little actual concept there to talk about, the problems in the figures themselves become more apparent. If you want to concentrate on concept and design, I'd try to achieve something that's simple, personal to the character (or shows the character) and memorable, rather than rehash WoW and 90's comic book design.
    Study actual armor styles and use those as your starting point, not what someone else has already made from them (or at least look through many sources).

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arenhaus As justa said you not obligated to reply.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pavlov TinyBird Thanks for trying to critisize. To be honest ,ofcourse I dont need anybody's critique. Just trying to shake all that stupid internets.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and justa to you, using all that hello and cheers not makes you not a snotty teenager. No offense. And thx for marking how good am I.
    Sorry for grammar all. Not my native language.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oleg, you're being really rude to people trying to help you improve. If you don't need anybody's critique, don't post on the critiques forum.

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like I hinted, I'm personally not very fond of the WoW-style trappings of giant weapons and giant armour encrusted with extra bladez and spikez and gemz and thingz. But despite those, there are still things about some of these characters that especially shout 'wrong' at me.

The skeleton: an undead warrior who keeps the armour they wore in life, or had new armour made after? It's got a close-fitting belt (and for some reason a loincloth) and armour wrapped around it's (tiny) pelvis and femur, but the rest is the 'normal' style. Huge pauldrons, cuirass, gauntlets, greaves/boots - how does it all stay on (and up) over dem dry bones?
    I also wondered how a being consisting entirely of bones has big toes the size of kiwi fruit. Then I wondered why I'm able to see the toes at all.
    You seem to be missing a few ribs there too, sport. And ironically he's got the least developed knee bones of the lot. Not even a seperate patella.

The orc. Is it an orc? The cutlass has a great chunky cup hilt, looking like it was roughly hewn from stone, with some odd, square projections. And a wee, skinny blade protruding from it. That rapidly widens into the usual giant sword. Looks badly imbalanced and even a bit fragile. (Though I'll leave it to the knowledgeable to talk about that)
    I'm not sure about the Hulk shorts either. Or the kneecaps bigger than his head.

The guy below that, whatever he is. That's an impressive zigzag in his scythe shaft. Do you know what it's for?
    The entire scythe - size, shapes, construction - looks like there's no real-world knowledge in it. Just the same old tragedy of reliance on fantasy tropes: "I drew it that way because people draw it that way, right?" (As Arenhaus and Tinybird said, could possibly be applied to the full set) and "he's got a scythe because it makes him look all mysterious and sinister and badass like the grim reaper, yeah?" Although looking at some fantasy scythes in an image search, I'm not sure if the grim reaper is even still a factor in most, or this.
    At the least: with the short length of the shaft, and that and the blade so twisted and recurved towards eachother, it's difficult to imagine how he'd hit much, even with the point of the blade. Which is certainly not 'the point' of a scythe.

Down to the warhammer... strewth. What on earth is the point of that, even if the second head was large enough to also hit the target? It doesn't look 'cool', just awkward, over the top, and as if you ran out of ideas.
    Also, how does the guy walk without catching on his... 'knee-claws'?

And every blade is so chipped! Do they spar against rocks in this fantasy world? Does it have no smiths who can reforge damaged weapons? Is that why the swords are so big - they have to be used as bludgeoning weapons because they can't restore the cutting edge?

EDIT: @Arenhaus fair enough. But I missed out on bare-midriff armour-girl, and I'd like to leave this link here.

http://repair-her-armor.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Vermis; June 10th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
    Sketchbook Deviations

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh boy that attitude won't take you very far. If you are not open to criticism then you are also not open to improving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keremcantarhan Now I writing response to Vermis. It requires some time. Take it easy =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the guy's clearly taken quite enough rope by now. Any mods here to close the thread?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arenhaus Who cares what you think. I did not finished my conversations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone who commented on here probably does as Aren is a good contributor to the critique section. But let me tell you something we don't care about : your ego. If you don't have the ability to converse humanely, then you have no right to finish your conversations. It's at times like these I wish we had a "report to mods" button.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keremcantarhan Dude this thread is about critique of art. Not personality's of humans. Its your problems that you dont like me. There is only 1 post with good critisism by Vermis and I thankful to him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People WERE trying to give useful critiques before YOU dismissed them by saying you don't really need any advice from anyone. And you are mistaken if you think it's not about personality, personality matters in every aspect of life. No matter how good you may be, people will be reluctant to work with you if you are rude to them. This place is no different, this is a community, and every community expects some things from it's members.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keremcantarhan Its called "CRITIQUE CENTER & W.I.P's & PORTFOLIO REVIEWS" not "every aspect of life Center & personality Reviews". Will you get it already?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, you are the one who doesn't get it. You did not let people criticize your work, that's why we are (I am?) discussing your personality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your "people" wanna close this thread underhand.
    How I can not let people criticize my work? Its opened for every person on a planet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure what you meant in your last post but I want to settle this before I go to bed.

Look, first of all I have no personal grudge against you and I'm sure no one in this thread has either. I actually enjoyed your sketchbook a while ago so I don't have anything against your style or work.

What I hate is your attitude. I don't want to flat out blame you, maybe it's the language barrier but what you say comes off as extremely rude, I mean you haven't even told anything to me but I feel offended just by your comments addressed to other people.

You can't open a critique thread and go around saying "that's not what I want you to critisize" , "I don't want you questioning my understanding of human form here's my degree" or that "I don't actually need your critique".

And your comment about how this is a critique section not a personality section is totally irrelevant. It's not that I want to criticize your personality, your attitude towards genuine criticism force me to do it. Without manners, we can't have a healthy discussion.

Now, if you are willing to come to a mutual understanding, I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to give their opinion about your work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 21