Non repro pen question

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Non repro pen question

Hey all,

For years, I've owned a particular non-photo blue ballpoint called Illustrator and it worked flawlessly for me for layout/thumbnails. However, I've noticed that they don't make this kind anymore? If so, is there a similar ballpoint that does this? This Illustrator ballpoint was one of my favorite tools to use and would love to have something like that again in my hands. I already have non-repro blue pencils so that's already a given.

I tried Amazon and Utrecht but they didn't have this kind in stock :/. You'll see the attached photos of what it looks like.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: btw, I don't think Sanford made this product? I've been trying to remember who made these way back in the day.

Thanks!

-A

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Non-photo blue had its use in the days that black-white copiers didn't copy them. Nowadays, most copiers/scanners are colour copiers, or so good that they pick up everything. Also, there are easier ways to filter out colours. So, non-photo blue is dying a slow death...

Grinnikend door het leven...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    Non-photo blue had its use in the days that black-white copiers didn't copy them. Nowadays, most copiers/scanners are colour copiers, or so good that they pick up everything. Also, there are easier ways to filter out colours. So, non-photo blue is dying a slow death...
    It's not surprising if that's the case, however, non repro blue pencils are still out there which means artists continue to use them. I don't think it's really a problem because, really, if someone uses the non repro blue pen/pencil, they can still be 'blocked' out by toggling between RGB and Greyscale on scanners via Photoshop. In other words, program the scanner to 'ignore' the blue, focusing on the darkest lines.

Non repro blue is still a valuable tool to use to do layout or building out the foundation on surface. It's one reason why I love the pen for its fluidity and fine lines without having to sharpen.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,476 Times in 3,685 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You might want to ask animators. I'm pretty sure old school still use them a fair bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    You might want to ask animators. I'm pretty sure old school still use them a fair bit.
    I could try that and am sure someone's bound to know something or suggest where to find something similar to that.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Animators barely use pencils, as traditional animation is going through a near-death experience. Traditional animators/layout artists use whatever colour they want...

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    Animators barely use pencils, as traditional animation is going through a near-death experience. Traditional animators/layout artists use whatever colour they want...
    It's not surprising to me, really because most of them do it on computer, usually by hand with Cintiqs or anything similar to that to control the layers and move files around through the pipeline (if I understand that correctly).

Members who have read this thread: 1