Why should I paint? - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,938 Times in 767 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Trick View Post
    It's personal expression in the same way writing is, and everyone has something to say that's important...
    Our human commonality is not the same thing as having something to say that is important.
    Shakespeare and Rembrandt felt as we do. What they had to say about that was put together as an aesthetic synthesis that communicated it back to us as an epiphany of insight.
    That is something very few of us are given the gifts to achieve, however unfair that my sound to our sense of egalitarianism.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing writers combine the two. ie. painting for technical precision and excellence is a valid route, and so it art for expression, etc.
    Hm, here's what theory of art says about that...
    The more you let your subject talk (simply put, the more subject's features you copy), that much less space is left for you to talk in your painting.
    So description and metaphor (expression) are in a mutually exclusive relationship.
    The vast majority of reality is happening somewhere in between, with ppl copying photos line by line being on descriptive extreme (also called a point of no artistic value), while postmodernists are on the metaphoric (expression) extreme (at least in theory), also known as a point of absolute artistic value.
    I'm saying in theory, because there's a caveat that mandates for the art to be true, it must be recognizable and acceptable by even the least sensitive and educated observer, where many postmodernists fail.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Cola73; June 11th, 2013 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not as superficial as I made it sound once you figure out why you want/have to paint. That is indeed something you'll have to figure out for yourself. You'll have to go through the headaches. "Proverbs are always platitudes until you have personally experienced the truth of them." and that is even true for that quote. Even though I see a lot of great answers in this thread, I don't think they (or mine) will do you any good because they are just words to you that hold no meaning. You'll forget them as soon as you close your browser. I hope you come to your own solution. You have great technical skill and if you know how you want to use it your work will probably be even more satisfying to yourself and probably to others as well. Good luck figuring this all out. :-)

My sketchbook Please drop by. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my experience, successful writers can tell great stories, or be good writers. Amazing writers combine the two. ie. painting for technical precision and excellence is a valid route, and so it art for expression, etc.
    I was actually talking about the physical act of handwriting, not writing in general. How people make their marks into words, as analogous to how people make marks into pictures. It's about the personal expression of the mark maker - thats whats inevitably personal and unique to every individual. Maybe a bit simple for this discussion but it's how my brain works, lol.

And I'm not saying your analogy isnt valid in it's own right, just that it wasnt what I was saying and I wanted to make that clear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can obviously only answer that question for myself... Very simply put I paint because I enjoy it. I don't think I could even say WHY I enjoy it, I just always have. If I stopped enjoying it, I'd stop painting. I don't really put very much thought into the why of anything in life, which I imagine most people think is a bit nuts. As far as I'm concerned what is, is. There needn't be a reason for why things are as they are, and a person could drive themselves crazy looking for one.

Emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Really? You have no opinions? You view everything that comes your way in the world with passive indifference? I doubt it. And if you do then it's time to get out of your cave more often and let the world make you angry once in a while.
    What if you feel like what you have to say is just stupid, or just silly? Or boring?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't you have to grow more confident then, when you think your own opinions are stupid? How can you believe in something when you think it's stupid or boring? Maybe you don't believe in it then. Maybe you really want to say other things or again, it could be a confidence issue.

My sketchbook Please drop by. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Medusa View Post
    What if you feel like what you have to say is just stupid, or just silly? Or boring?
    Then it almost certainly is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you don't have anything to say, then ask yourself, what would you like to show people. Concentrate on that, and the images will speak for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you reflect on yourself and on the world you always have something useful to say.There will be a lot of things that matter to you. And because you are human others will agree or disagree but it won't be boring.
    Good job Chris Bennett on trying to keep them small.

Originally Posted by Lady Medusa
    I don't believe you have much good intentions after this message. If you want prove me wrong.

Last edited by Gibier; June 12th, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,637 Times in 3,790 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why an art duel? haha..I won't give up my kindness for the sake of art! You know he is a good artist and therefore he is also a roll-model for some. If he says things like that they could be taken really seriously by some and become like a demon in the mind. I don't mean to be disrespectful, just saying what I see.

Last edited by Gibier; June 12th, 2013 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibi View Post
    Originally Posted by Lady Medusa
    I don't believe you have much good intentions after this message. If you want prove me wrong.
    Assuming this question is being posed to me:

When you love something, when you care about something, when something you have dreamed up gives you a sense of epiphany that you long to share with others you never, ever, think that it is stupid or silly or boring.
    If what you have found within yourself does not move you, does not compel you, does not excite your interest, how on earth does it stand a chance to move, compel or excite the interest of anyone else?
    If you tell someone you love them and don't believe it, what does that make you?
    Would you like me to spell it out, or can you figure it out for yourself?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,637 Times in 3,790 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew, Chris is right. I know you play water polo, just think what excites you about the game. Don't you want to capture the energy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is what you ought to think about it but what is often not the case. I don't understand why you are feeling agitated about this. These discussions are for people to understand or try to. You sound like a politician that only adjusts his bad choice when they are pointed out.I speak my cloud to become wiser and where possible help others. There is no shame in admitting I might be right! I take back my comment on your good intentions but replace them for you might be a bit close minded..that's ok!

Last edited by Gibier; June 12th, 2013 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saying I'm agitated, likening me to a devious politician, saying I'm ashamed of admitting you are right and calling me closed minded does not counter my argument.
    Your focus is on me in relation to your own personal issues.
    If you were as open minded as you delude yourself into believing, you would look at the arguments rather than your own navel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Chris.I woke up knowing you're right.That's nice!The problem is studying in isolation and not sharing my thoughts!
    Like I said before it was not about you personally!I'm just reflecting. The possibility that the response where this all came from
    (then it almost certainly is) is interpreted by someone else as negative is as likely as you feeling attacked or anything by what I said.
    Anyway I am glad you responded and gave it some thought. Let's just continue on why we should paint

Last edited by Gibier; June 14th, 2013 at 03:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Medusa View Post
    Then you have to ask yourself whether your thoughts are genuinely stupid or boring, or whether it's fear of rejection talking.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vineris: That's a good point, perfectly put!

Gibi: Thanks for your recent post. Especially as I can come over a little sharp when trying to nail down something I believe more important than usual - for which you have my apology.

Last edited by Chris Bennett; June 14th, 2013 at 06:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vinerus: I'll add to that, If you think your thoughts are stupid or boring at least share them. You need a second opinion.
    Chris: you know you are welcome. I am not stubborn. This is me sharing my stupid, boring thoughts and learning from them

Now I just say we should paint to find and push forward our boundaries.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibi View Post
    Vinerus: I'll add to that, If you think your thoughts are stupid or boring at least share them. You need a second opinion.
    Sure. I learn a lot by arguing with smart people. You have to have some confidence for that, though, because being constantly wrong is a bit hard on the ol' ego.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2