Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why should I paint?

Thanks
    I don't know your age and how you educate yourself.I had to find this out the hard way. There are always younger people then you who don't have the insight you have. Keep them in mind as your audience. not people who seen it all And if you look at the stories written by Charlie Kaufman Its not very healthy to be your own story while writing it etc. See the movies If you don't know what I mean.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    kamikazel33t: If art is about communication, then what do I do if I have nothing TO communicate?? Like, I have no message to tell the world, no story, nothing. There is nothing I wish to say...so why speak?
    I can't tell you anything that I absolutely know to be true about this, but in my personal experience I, too, hardly ever tell a story of my own. Contests, commissions, studies, doesn't matter, they're all essentially ideas and stories that come from someone else. Of course you infuse your own way of story-telling, your own style if you will, into the artwork. But it's not entirely your own.

I, personally, don't really care as long as I get to paint and draw. However, if you feel that this is becoming more important to you, I'd suggest starting a personal project that let's you realize this aim. Think hard about something you can and/or want to tell/communicate. Start your own graphic novel. Paint a series of landscape images and/or maps depicting a world entirely of your creation. Create starships of a fictional fleet. Make up a planet with fauna and flora entirely of your creation. Anything that (more or less) originally comes from you. That way you might be able to regain the feeling of "having something to say".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I will admit that I am slightly metaphysically and spiritually biased on this and this may be a bit pretentious but...
    in the question-why should I paint?
    who is the one asking the question?,if your "I" is just a concept inside your mind which is also just another thought
    how can you derive any essence or drive from a thought that pops up and then disappears.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that deriving meaning ,inspiration and drive from thoughts can only get you so far and
    at a certain point you have to track back and see what was the actual feeling(which is not conceptual) that got you excited about art(and life) in the first place.

and sorry again for this grasshopper shit maybe it will help someone else because whatever you are doing seems to be working from looking at your art.
    Last edited by GrayPersona; June 8th, 2013 at 01:04 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you're a commercial artist - It's financial.

If you're a "non-commercial artist" - It's not financial.

Yes I got very "pedantic" there. It's what I believe. The "Artist" part is expressing ideas, emotions, stories, w/e, and know about all the tools/techniques they can use to get to the end product.
    Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hitnrun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Andrew Sonea,
    definitely read H.Hesse's "The Glass Bead Game", if you haven't already.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cola73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There was a time when I was really concerned about this question. But I found that thinking too much spoils everything for me. Everything has already been said and it has probably been said more eloquently than I could ever do. So why even bother?
    Why paint? There is only one answer:

"because I fucking want to"

Maybe you are no longer satisfied with making a pretty picture. Maybe you want to say more than "this is a pretty flower or this is a cool robot." And that's fine. I'm sure you'll have plenty to say if you give this some time. There is much to say in illustration. There are no limits. The difference between fine arts and illustration are only in the way the artists are paid. You can say as much or as little as you want. There are a lot of "boring" fine art paintings and a lot of "meaningful" illustrations. Just say what you like.

Some pictures do indeed have "something" like Andrew Wyeth's paintings, but there is no magic. He just did those paintings because he felt like it. He was also really really good, but it's not like he had some divine insight that you have to have to be able to make meaningful art. He just did and so should we all. We should just paint because we want to. And If we don't want to we should just go watch Breaking Bad or A Game of Thrones or something.....or we could do both. that works too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lost My Marbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Though I agree on the part of "because I fucking want to" that state of mind on thinking comes across a bit "gemakzuchtig" to me. People ask these questions because they want to know even if a headache is the result. I understand but can not agree!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I guess it seems a bit gemakzuchtig, but it took me a long time to get to that answer. years of angst and soul searching and giving up art altogether. In the end it's the most simple answers that hold the most truth, if truth even is a thing. I didn't mean to be short. I understand the want for answers. This is the best answer I could give and I stand by it 100 percent.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lost My Marbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're right! I had depressions for like 10 years because of over complicating everything! And finally I just cured myself with reflecting on myself and the world. What I saw before as cliché and not worth mentioning I now see as more truthful then before. But I don't know if this answer is useful for someone who wants to know, that's all!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 776 Posts
    Chris Bennett: Not to sound too rude or anything, but this type of statement comes across to me as the kind of thing that sounds profound but holds little actual meaning. Perhaps I just don't understand how to use this, but I don't get how this will help me with all of this. And what if I have nothing to say?
    Why do you make an image with your hands?
    What exactly are you doing mentally when you place coloured mud onto a surface (or the simulacra of the process with digital technology)?
    Is your goal to be a camera made of meat? (Kev Ferrara's phrase)
    Or is it something more sublime, more to do with your human relationship to the world in which you are a sentient part?
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Like, I have no message to tell the world, no story, nothing. There is nothing I wish to say...so why speak? Or is this the kind of thing where I should just keep talking until I begin to find my own words and find what it is I was trying to say all along?
    Really? You have no opinions? You view everything that comes your way in the world with passive indifference? I doubt it. And if you do then it's time to get out of your cave more often and let the world make you angry once in a while.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

23. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,868 Times in 3,972 Posts
    You are so young still. Go out and meet more people who stretch your mind. Find out what makes you uncomfortable and figure out why. Go and find beauty in mundane things. Empathise more. Then see if it makes you want to paint.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think like others have said, you're overthinking your own personal why. I cant comment on your work (still working through your sb) but from your words it does sound like you're getting stuck in a rut about whether to just be technical (do studies) or move on and be more personally expressive and adventurous.

The thing is, that move forward is inevitable.

What Chris and Blackspot and others said about expression of yourself in your art and life experience makes a lot of sense. Maybe it only seems complicated because you're in overthinking mode, but it's really very simple.

You don't have to have a big statement to make to communicate through your art. It's simply an expression of your own self, your personality and your life experiences which inform, and translate into, your work. Thats not something you can avoid. It's like handwriting. Everyone has their own style of writing, regardless of how technically proficient they are at making words. In the same way, everyone has their own way of making a picture regardless of how technically proficient they are at composition or colour or drawing etc. Who you are and how you see the world and think and feel will show in your work whether you want it to or not. And the more you've seen and experienced, the more it will show.

The technical methods you acquire along the way are simply a means to make it easier for you to express yourself more clearly.

Anyway, that was a lot of rambling. Sorry if I repeated anything others already said or if I'm telling you stuff you already know. It's just what your op and the following discussion triggered in my mind.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast