Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: CHOW #328 :: Guardian of the Crystal

Thanks
    @JanDegler: ...Wasn't your name JanJager before???? Anywho, you are creating too much of a creature here. It is humanoid in shape, but looks like a golem or something. Remember, the description says that the guardian is of flesh like us, but with crystals growing out of it.
    !!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Havok Reed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok Reed View Post
    Concept art IS about design / aesthetics. You are confusing story telling with concept art. It doesn't have to be just about characters, it ranges anywhere from, environments, architecture, characters, creatures, fashion, etc. This particular thread is all about Character Concepts. If you wish to portray an idea along with the concept of the character, then you need to properly do it. Basically, if your character isn't drawing 2/3 of the viewer's attention, then people won't know what the subject matter is really supposed to be about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_art
    If you define concept like that, OK.

I'm just used to a concept being a more abstract idea of what is to be done, a way to bind things together to make a whole, not storytelling. Conceptart being a medium for showcasing this, since it's not really a finished product, but something to be processed in to, say a game, movie, architecture(like you said). Aesthetics and design are guided by the concept, and are just one small part of it, as is the way the subject is presented, which should make the concept come out in the best way possible, not rendering the abdominals, which sometimes might be the case, but only in certain types of character concepts.

You are basically denying the birth of certain types of characters with this way of looking at things... Not trying to make a fuss, just intrigued by the way conceptart is seen here(which is seemingly concentrated on game, comic & cartoon development?)

Still do think that it's kind of a shallow way of looking at it though...

Thanks
    Been struggling with a pose I like.. I think this one works though.
    Name:  crstyalguardrush.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  129.0 KB

Thanks
    small update gonna go wif first idea, still haven't incorporated crystals and been spending loads of time on that mid ground to the right and nothing grrrr >: hope i can finish dam work piling up and trying to close a deal on a condo :/

@zo1ks nice silhouettes good shapes >D far right one reminds of the skillful huntsman

@sushy I like the overall concept, only crit is that there's a lot of hard edges which gives a bit of a comic/illustration aspect maybe spend a bit more time with some lost & found edges, experimenting with the blending brush does wonders >D

@quinn looking tight, only crit at this point is to work on the legs, don't hide that beastly gaurdian's legs with the smoke >P

@JanDegler that's not mine it's Fireblades piece, wish it was mine >P it was a paintover (@Havok don't think that's JanJager >P and well put on Zephar's illustration, def. agree it's inconsistent with the overall elements)

@Lakka sup dood, I lurve all your speedpaints over at sijun, but I do agree with Havok, and you pointed it out yourself in your last post, ' Conceptart being a medium for showcasing this, since it's not really a finished product, but something to be processed in to, say a game, movie, architecture(like you said).' I think, for me at least from what I take chow's to be, is that these weekly challenge are simulated to the industry workflow, where you'd rough a concept, get the ok from the director then be passed off to be polished or built 3d. Basically that whole streamline process is done by the participant within that week span and the finish by product is some polished work but like Havok mentioned it's how you end up conveying that initial concept to the finished piece. Sorry don't mean to start a troll war and I really do enjoy looking at your speedpaints over at Sijun but just wanted to throw my 2 cents in

@Kingkostas I hope you're working on something for this chow, ic you lurking in the shadows >P big ups for all those tutorials made me want to sketch again after 3 yr break >D

Name:  chow_328_wip_12.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  299.1 KB

Thanks

wip 2

@snootchy - In awe of how you finished so fast. Awesome design/render

Update on my wip..

I was struggling with the concept of how to colour/render my figure but have gone the black and white route.
    I notice that in many examples (on the net) people just jump straight into colour...
    I'm guessing they have had a traditional background? Or maybe just a good eye for values.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    more work
    Name:  crstyalguardrush.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  236.3 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok Reed View Post
    @JanDegler: ...Wasn't your name JanJager before???? Anywho, you are creating too much of a creature here. It is humanoid in shape, but looks like a golem or something. Remember, the description says that the guardian is of flesh like us, but with crystals growing out of it.
    No Im not JanJager ( I wish though I had his skills :-D ), thanks for the crit, its not supposed to be a creature rather a human in a crystal armor, but apparently it doesnt read well enough...Ill add some spaces where the flesh it visible!!! thx for pointing that out `!

Thanks
    Quinn Simoes: I really like that guy, but you should definitely check his left shoulder area. Wouldn't hurt to get some reference for such a complicated foreshortening Maybe you were going to work on it some more, but I'm mentioning just in case.

Did some female ones in addition to the males that I did some posts above...

Name:  crystal_guardian_female_thumbs.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  159.4 KB
    Last edited by z01ks; June 11th, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks
    janDegler: haha my bad, there are a lot of people with similar names on here. Anyway, yea, the crystal armor is fun idea to run with, but perhaps it shouldn't be full body like it is. Try basing it off of a real set of armor and give it much less coverage.

Lakka: You are misunderstanding everything I am talking about. Your are making it sound like your are being tied down and not allowed to make your idea. You can still use your idea, but the main focus is Character design in this thread. There have been many people who come up with as interesting of an idea as you, but they first focused on the character before telling the rest of the story in their illustration. As Snoochy said, this is meant to simulate the workflow of the industry where the art director would give you a description and your job is to come up with a design. If this were a real studio and you handed your current post to the art director, he would probably say "where is my character design?"

All we have been trying to tell you, is make the character large enough in the image, so we can see what this being, who sucks light into his body, looks like.

For all we know, (This is just an example) he could have crazy tattoos all over his body which start to glow as he sucks the light in and his skin beings to turn a translucent black and you can see the universe within his body. Of course, we would never know any of this because your first submission only shows a tiny, silhouette.
    !!SKETCHBOOK!!

“If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Havok Reed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  crystal-guard-silhouette.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  27.2 KBName:  crystal-guard-interior.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  46.7 KB

I chose the last two in the first image to move forward with. I think I'm leaning toward the second and fourth designs in the second image, with the double pickaxe weapons, but I also think there will be some mixing and matching, because I'm kind of partial to lava legs. Are any of these working yet? I'm really anxious to jump in on lines and values.
    ::: SKETCHBOOK ::: WEBSITE :::

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sethpargin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's where I'm at with mine. still in the rough painting portion of it all. I will add a more intense lighting from above when I get to it.
    !!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Thanks
    z01ks, thanks for the heads up, your right that shoulder still needs some love.

Thanks
    Fixed some stuff I noticed from last night.. and did a little more shading. I have no idea how I feel about this guy.

Name:  crstyalguardrush2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  148.4 KB

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast