CHOW #328 :: Guardian of the Crystal - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    I am not worthy but I decided to try.

I chose orange, a color that makes you eat more (according to some studies I have heard)

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  115.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The Guardian in his colorless resting state.

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Varguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello everyone, I actually made an account just to contribute, please tell me what you think.

Name:  2.png
Views: 541
Size:  233.3 KBName:  1.png
Views: 542
Size:  220.9 KBName:  4.png
Views: 543
Size:  269.7 KBName:  3.png
Views: 539
Size:  220.5 KB

Thanks
    Snootchy - Thanks for the input, I kind of tend to lose the plot when working with colour and things start to look tardy. I will probably do an overhaul and do some experimenting and learning.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fireblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Fireblade np anytime! I don't think overhaul required cause that gaurdian is looking beastly, plus looking at your sb you've got a really great grasp of form much better than meh, just really slight things pointing out hehe. Good trick I like to do is use a black & white adjustment layer to always check on values when painting in color cuz my eye for values is terrible but it helps loads with to check on values with that adjustment layer. Hope you don't mind but I did a dirty quick paint over to show ya what I was talking about, when I see the value in that right gluet area it's one flat dark tone and the way the lighting is hitting that wickedly nice rendered arm it wouldn't be in complete shade and the cast shadow wouldn't hit that much of that gluteal/thigh region. forget what i posted about the hands earlier the tones seem to match well after checking with the adjustment layer. Anyhoo just figured I'd put my 2 cents in since you said you were almost finished >D

Name:  fireblade_crystalguardian_003a copy.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  279.0 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm really not an amazing artist yet or anything, but I'll see if I can improve enough to make this into something worthwhile before the contest ends. I have a lot of ideas for it, so it's just a matter of getting it out haha.

Name:  Crystal Guardian-328WIP1.png
Views: 518
Size:  120.1 KB

Last edited by rainingdarkness; June 9th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    Image attachments aren't working 100%. Use the link method, via photobucket/dA/ any other image hosting site to link your images until they fix the issue. I think it might only involve much older posts, but if you run into trouble with it, then do the above.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    I see my attachment never worked.
    Anyway, I did an update, and I hope this will display:

Thanks
    What if the design is about a humanoid that sucks in the light from the green crystal which lies inside the earth, thus being a black void itself, while letting the power of the crystal come out in the form of nature, here symbolised by the birch tree which is striving upwards towards the surface...? It's not like the character is not there, but the concept goes a bit beyond that, with the location and crystal and stuff...?

So it's more of a render a thing thing than come up with a concept thing? I read the rules, but it seems like they are being implemented in quite a specific way? :o

Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 Times in 635 Posts
    Lakka: I think your biggest issue is the fact that your character isn't exactly the main focus of the image, the environment is. As a challenge centered around character design you'll want your design to become much more prominent within the image. You can create a neat illustration showcasing your ideas, for example; something with a low perspective close to the ground to show the tree rising to the surface in some way. Work on some thumbnails to develop your ideas and try to experiment with different perspectives and compositions to help showcase your character. Also with the character's appearance itself I'd recommend you work more into the design rather than just a black human-shaped silhouette with glowing eyes.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Crystal gaurdian

Here is a update .... luv the variation in the entries

Thanks
    Lakka: What you are doing is showing us a humanoid silhouette, which doesn't show us what he looks like... and appearance is what the focus of this entire challenge is about. Character design is about what the character looks like. If you want to tell a story with the character, then you need to illustrate that. You need to show us what this character is doing as it is happening; show the process of which they are making things grow, while keeping the CHARACTER as the main focus. Again, what you posted earlier is not a character design. And as Rob said, you need to narrow the focus to the character, not the environment.

Giby: I'm confused as to what you are doing here. Is the guardian on the left and the "crystal" to the right?

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

“If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks

Guardian of the Crystal

I am new to things but I thought I'd post what I have so far. Great ideas everyone!

Thanks
    Worked up a quick concept drawing. Going to try to take this one further into a painting.

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Thanks
    @Zephar: Your work MUST be 100% original. I have reason to believe that this is not 100% your work based on the background vs. the character.
    1.) The sharpness of the character does not match the background.
    2.) The background as a whole is pixelated, meaning that you enlarged the image from it's original size.
    3.) The overall style does not match, and based on your construction of the character, it reflects your understanding of form and values. The background was done by a person with the appropriate knowledge where your character lacks this understanding.
    4.) The crystal sphere at the top of the image is extremely sharp. I then look at the terrain connected to the sphere and notice that it is just as sharp, but where the sphere ends, the background gets soft and pixelated again. This tells me that you erased something that was there and plopped in this sphere.

PLEASE, read ALL the rules which are in sticky threads just outside this one. They include all important information on how to participate and good advice when designing a character. A background is NOT required and it does not make ANY design a good one. It has to flow with the entire image. Right now it is very obvious that these are two different images. Also, 3/4 of the character must be visible, meaning from the head to as low as the knees must be visible.
    Taking shortcuts will severely hamper your learning and you will not go anywhere with your work. This is also forbidden, as stated in the rules. Everything MUST be from you and MUST be new, not from any other source or previous works of your own. References are fine, but do not take the physical image and use it in your work, or paint over it.

Now, this does not disqualify you from participating but I urge you to read all the rules. Doing everything the hard way, makes you a better artist.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Thanks
    My designs so far!

I really wanted to push the ancient civilization vibe, and still have it colorful.

I started off with solid black silhouettes, making sure that they are unique, interesting and still fit the direction I want.

Then moving onto the values, I create a gradient of focus, with the main focus point being the head/face and working outwards. I always make my character designs just like I would a painting with composition and values, drawing the eye to the focal points. During the value phase I still try to maintain the vibe. Mood and attitude are very important at this stage.

After I get the values pretty close to what I want, I add the color. I try to create a pleasing harmony that has a sense of balance and character.

I have also created a back story for this character, but I will not share it as I think the concepts should stand on their own. I am mentioning this though, because having a back story for yourself really gives meaning to your characters and allows you to give them a richer existence. It breaks them out of being a generic monster or character in a story. It gives them personality.

I hope these thoughts can help you guys! Cheers!

Name:  Concept1.png
Views: 404
Size:  196.0 KB

Name:  Workthrough.png
Views: 403
Size:  128.7 KB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingPenguin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    okydoky, the way the character just looks like is a silhouette, as in, it's sucking light in...

But I get what you are going at, it's more of an aesthetics for a character thing than a actual concept, I guess I'll try again next week.... Though as an architecture student I see a big issue with cropping the image, since often times good design is such because it lets the context take a big role in why it is such as it is.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakka View Post

it's more of an aesthetics for a character thing than a actual concept....
    Concept art IS about design / aesthetics. You are confusing story telling with concept art. It doesn't have to be just about characters, it ranges anywhere from, environments, architecture, characters, creatures, fashion, etc. This particular thread is all about Character Concepts. If you wish to portray an idea along with the concept of the character, then you need to properly do it. Basically, if your character isn't drawing 2/3 of the viewer's attention, then people won't know what the subject matter is really supposed to be about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_art

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Almost done... I think.
    Can you see it? :V

Name:  a4.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  140.4 KB

Thanks
    did some shape exploring...
    gonna try some female figures next :p

Name:  crystal_guardian_thumbs.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  347.6 KB

27. The Following User Says Thank You to z01ks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    These are all looking really cool!

Here's a quick update on mine.

Name:  Guardian-03.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  160.5 KB

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Quinn Simoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Guardian of the crystal

z01lks: Love the sillhouettes!!!!

Quinn: As always really neat rendering, I wonder how you come up wih this!!!!

Varguy: Like the comp! Cant wait to see this finished!

Steve Zissou: Like the form, but teh colors are a bit too distracting at the moment...imho.

Snootchy: Really cool character, love the crystals on his back...

..Will comment the rest on the go... sorry if I didnt comment to everyones!!!

---

Heres what I got so far, I need to work on the overall form and the crystals....

Name:  guard.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  134.9 KB

Thanks
    @JanDegler: ...Wasn't your name JanJager before???? Anywho, you are creating too much of a creature here. It is humanoid in shape, but looks like a golem or something. Remember, the description says that the guardian is of flesh like us, but with crystals growing out of it.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Havok Reed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok Reed View Post
    Concept art IS about design / aesthetics. You are confusing story telling with concept art. It doesn't have to be just about characters, it ranges anywhere from, environments, architecture, characters, creatures, fashion, etc. This particular thread is all about Character Concepts. If you wish to portray an idea along with the concept of the character, then you need to properly do it. Basically, if your character isn't drawing 2/3 of the viewer's attention, then people won't know what the subject matter is really supposed to be about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_art
    If you define concept like that, OK.

I'm just used to a concept being a more abstract idea of what is to be done, a way to bind things together to make a whole, not storytelling. Conceptart being a medium for showcasing this, since it's not really a finished product, but something to be processed in to, say a game, movie, architecture(like you said). Aesthetics and design are guided by the concept, and are just one small part of it, as is the way the subject is presented, which should make the concept come out in the best way possible, not rendering the abdominals, which sometimes might be the case, but only in certain types of character concepts.

You are basically denying the birth of certain types of characters with this way of looking at things... Not trying to make a fuss, just intrigued by the way conceptart is seen here(which is seemingly concentrated on game, comic & cartoon development?)

Still do think that it's kind of a shallow way of looking at it though...

Thanks
    Been struggling with a pose I like.. I think this one works though.
    Name:  crstyalguardrush.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  129.0 KB

Thanks
    small update gonna go wif first idea, still haven't incorporated crystals and been spending loads of time on that mid ground to the right and nothing grrrr >: hope i can finish dam work piling up and trying to close a deal on a condo :/

@zo1ks nice silhouettes good shapes >D far right one reminds of the skillful huntsman

@sushy I like the overall concept, only crit is that there's a lot of hard edges which gives a bit of a comic/illustration aspect maybe spend a bit more time with some lost & found edges, experimenting with the blending brush does wonders >D

@quinn looking tight, only crit at this point is to work on the legs, don't hide that beastly gaurdian's legs with the smoke >P

@JanDegler that's not mine it's Fireblades piece, wish it was mine >P it was a paintover (@Havok don't think that's JanJager >P and well put on Zephar's illustration, def. agree it's inconsistent with the overall elements)

@Lakka sup dood, I lurve all your speedpaints over at sijun, but I do agree with Havok, and you pointed it out yourself in your last post, ' Conceptart being a medium for showcasing this, since it's not really a finished product, but something to be processed in to, say a game, movie, architecture(like you said).' I think, for me at least from what I take chow's to be, is that these weekly challenge are simulated to the industry workflow, where you'd rough a concept, get the ok from the director then be passed off to be polished or built 3d. Basically that whole streamline process is done by the participant within that week span and the finish by product is some polished work but like Havok mentioned it's how you end up conveying that initial concept to the finished piece. Sorry don't mean to start a troll war and I really do enjoy looking at your speedpaints over at Sijun but just wanted to throw my 2 cents in

@Kingkostas I hope you're working on something for this chow, ic you lurking in the shadows >P big ups for all those tutorials made me want to sketch again after 3 yr break >D

Name:  chow_328_wip_12.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  299.1 KB

Thanks

wip 2

@snootchy - In awe of how you finished so fast. Awesome design/render

Update on my wip..

I was struggling with the concept of how to colour/render my figure but have gone the black and white route.
    I notice that in many examples (on the net) people just jump straight into colour...
    I'm guessing they have had a traditional background? Or maybe just a good eye for values.

Thanks
    more work
    Name:  crstyalguardrush.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  236.3 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok Reed View Post
    @JanDegler: ...Wasn't your name JanJager before???? Anywho, you are creating too much of a creature here. It is humanoid in shape, but looks like a golem or something. Remember, the description says that the guardian is of flesh like us, but with crystals growing out of it.
    No Im not JanJager ( I wish though I had his skills :-D ), thanks for the crit, its not supposed to be a creature rather a human in a crystal armor, but apparently it doesnt read well enough...Ill add some spaces where the flesh it visible!!! thx for pointing that out `!

Thanks
    Quinn Simoes: I really like that guy, but you should definitely check his left shoulder area. Wouldn't hurt to get some reference for such a complicated foreshortening Maybe you were going to work on it some more, but I'm mentioning just in case.

Did some female ones in addition to the males that I did some posts above...

Name:  crystal_guardian_female_thumbs.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  159.4 KB

Last edited by z01ks; June 11th, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2