questions about the saturation of shadows

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

questions about the saturation of shadows

i gathered a few pictures here, there are blue and red circles that i drew. the blue ones circle shadows that are low saturated. the red ones circle shadows that are highly saturated.

my question is: why is it that some shadows are low saturated and why some are not? do highly saturated shadows only appear in human skin? and i really need someone to explain to me the theory of cold and warm light/shadows. i really dont understand them. i have read james gurney's book too (but have not absorb everything)

does cold light make highly saturated shadow (based of the color of the object)? or it makes yellowish shadows?

in james gurney's book, he said that subsurface scattering only appears if the main light comes from the back. but i think these highly saturated shadows are so because of subsurface scattering, so that means sub surface scattering also appear if the main light comes from the front?

i really hope someone can help me with my doubts. this is driving me crazy.

thanks everyone for reading.

****************updated part below*********************

what about the lights we have in our homes? this kind of light: http://www.kdjay.co.uk/kdandjay/ebay...nsectbulb1.jpg
    it creates cool lightning. and by theory, cool light makes warm shadows. but when i observe all the things around me, these cool light makes cool shadows too. why is that?

Name:  New Canvass.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  342.3 KB

Last edited by tekkoontan; May 23rd, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Shadows are generally lit by ambient light, which is usually blue sky-light. That produces the cool, de-saturated shadows you circle almost everywhere. However, that's not the ONLY kind of light that can light up shadows. Light reflected from bright surfaces such as beaches, walls or shirts can also light shadows. Photographers often use a flash or fill lighting to change the appearance of shadows.

It's all about light. What you think is a simple lighting situation in a photograph may not be. If you're going to use photos to learn about light, it pays to learn a little bit about photography and start taking your own photos. Then you can see the entire surroundings of the object you are taking a photo of. In someone else's photograph you may not be able to see a wall or a reflector that is causing a shadow to light up, but if you take your own photos you will know that the wall is there.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah thanks vineris, i agree with the part about photography

Members who have read this thread: 3