Question :)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Question :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question :)

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, I looked around but couldn't find a sub-forum for asking questions and this was the closest I could find >_<, anyway, I got a tablet a few day ago(intuos5 medium), I've always wanted to get into digital art so decided to just buy a tablet, been watching some videos of the last few days and only used my tablet for around 3 hours, I just don't know where to start.

I'm pretty awful at drawing so could someone point me in the right direction? I'm not sure where to start, what to try or even how, thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try this: www.ctrlpaint.com

Start with the most basic videos.
    You should still start with traditional if you never draw before. Or at least make it a part of your practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for reply, I've seen ctrlpaint but I've been using sketchbook pro atm, seems a bit more basic for now, photoshop seems more confusing, do you think I should just use ctrlpaint?

Also yeah, I know I probably should but I'm really not a fan of it. I don't mind doing some as well as digitally but I don't enjoy pencil/paper at all really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Usually I find when (new) people that say they like doing digital art but hate doing stuff with pencil, it means they're either not comfortable making mistakes that can be ctrl+z'd away or playing around too much with colour/filters/settings instead of just drawing. I'm not saying don't do digital, but it sounds like you're getting really overwhelmed by all the digital settings and it's distracting you from actually making art. The truth is pretty much everything you make is going to suck for a very long time, so might as well whip through a bunch of pages you can throw in the trash later instead of spending an hour trying to figure out how to draw a nice line in Photoshop.

Anyways, to actually answer your question, your problem is that you've only spent three hours with your tablet. Nobody feels completely comfortable doing something new after only three hours. Don't worry about finding the "right" way to do stuff. Make some scribbles, play around with the tools and filters until you sort of have an idea of what they do. Try something stupid like 'shopping your face onto a horse. Googling "how do I _____ in Photoshop" when I got stuck taught me more than anything else.

Photoshop is a pretty powerful program and you'll probably never use 80% of the options available, so don't worry if you can't memorize or figure out everything. It's a bit like wandering into a big box store for the first time and trying to find the bread, milk, and eggs. Once you know where they are, all the other aisles more or less cease to exist.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keeptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The eagerness of youth, lol. Wanting to try out all the cool new gadgets.

In my day, we didn't have tablets or fancy digital stuff so when we wanted to make art, we got our pencils and paints out.

Cant really help you with learning how to use a tablet - I can barely paint with one let alone draw with it - but I hope you'll take the time to learn how to draw as well. It's supposed to be fun, ya know?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Throw your mouse in the trash. You bought a tablet, therefore your mouse has been rendered useless.
    2. Use your tablet for everything, browsing the net, moving files and folders et cetera. Use your tablet for everything you would normally use your mouse for. It will get you used to wielding that stylus.

When using digital art software. Start basic, draw boxes, circles/spheres, Perspective grids, Cones and cylinders. Get used to drawing with it. Draw things from life. Start simple, fruit, cups, spoons. Anything that has simple geometry. Observe and study.

Have fun.

Members who have read this thread: 1