Poll for You Artistic Sci-fi Horror Fans Out There!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: (READ MY INITIAL POST FOR THIS THREAD TO KNOW THE QUESTION FOR THIS POLL)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • I'll read the story first, then I'll let you know my answer

0 0%
  • Sci-fi horror is not my cup of tea

0 0%
  • No

3 100.00%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Poll for You Artistic Sci-fi Horror Fans Out There!

Hi everyone. I couldn't fit the entire question in the poll, so it is instead at the end of this post. Before I pop the question though, let me give you an idea of what I have in mind. (Stick with me; it will pay off):

I am just about done with my project, which I've been working on for a long time. This project is (so far,) made up of two literary works, joining together to create a story of science fiction horror. This story, however, is not a "story" in a traditional sense. Unlike the usual "beginning-development-ending" closed format we are all use to, the two combined literary works are open-ended enough to form a self-contained literary universe, which can constantly be built upon. This is where YOU come in.

You read the story and then let your creativity fill in the blanks. It doesn't matter whether it is a drawing, painting, short story, etc., once you are finished, sign your work to let anyone who looks at it know that it is obviously yours, and then submit it to the website where it can be voted on. After receiving a certain number of "like" votes, AND if it fits within the story's universe with no noticeable conflict to the canon, the work becomes part of the story's official universe.

Now here's the part where I say: HOWEVER, due to a lot of legal mumbo jumbo, I had no real choice but to copyright the two stories and the series itself. Meaning: If you hope to create profitable work that is based off the universe's canon, you will have to contact me for licensing. ONLY nonprofitable work becomes part of the story's official universe.

HERE ME OUT!

When your properly submitted nonprofitable work becomes part of the official canon, you can experience the following benefits:

• The work’s creator will be mentioned in the credits of a profitable finished product, whenever the creator’s work is used within that said product

• Your work will become officially part of the universe's history

• If have a website of other artwork and/or a method of contact, I will add it to the 'Links' page

• Your work will likely become the basis and standard for many other artistic minds

• The artistic reputation can become a great addition to your portfolio

• Bragging rights

So, to the poll's question:

Would you create something for a science fiction horror universe, which you cannot profit off of without licensing, but will likely experience benefits from?

Last edited by FSArbolaez; May 22nd, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So let me get this straight...

I get bragging rights AND credit for the work I do for you (for free) AND you get to own it all?
    WOW, man! Sounds like an amazing idea to me.

I've always been trying to find a way to get bragging rights and credit for my own art. Ah, and to be able to inspire other artists, that's also important. I'd never be able to do that on my own projects, so this is a great opportunity.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot to add, if participants have a website of their other artwork and/or a method of contact, I would add it to the 'Links' page. Basically, I don't just want the public to become more engaged in my story, but I also want them to discover the artists that help me out.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ive a poll for you, imagine if you will that youre a shopkeeper, and someone walked into your shop and said "hello, if you give me all the items from your shop I want, for free, you can brag about giving them to me" would you allow it?

Quote Originally Posted by FSArbolaez View Post
    HERE ME OUT!
    Hear me out; pay people for their work.
    Youre the latest in a very long line of people who've come sniffing around trying to scam artists into completing their unheard-of projects for "bragging rights" but no actual money.
    Get real.
    Why wouldnt they just work on their own universes and cut you and your licensing out?

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; May 23rd, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not trying to scam people. I'd like to help other artists, but I have very little money to do so. I actually wanted to do this project much differently, but legal matters muddled much of my plans. Though I now own the copyrights to the series, I want the people who discover it also discover the participants who get involved. Despite having a bunch of legal obstacles and very little money, I'm still trying to find other ways to benefit the artists who help me out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What was your answer to my poll?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not asking you to do all of the work just to have me benefit completely from it and nothing else, I'm asking artists to contribute to a collaboration I started.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Want to really help artists out? Save up/get a job and pay them what they deserve.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are hundreds of people here for whom I would jump at the chance to help them get a project off the ground...with no hope or thought of benefits to me. You're not one of them.

You've posted five or six times in three days with grand plans with very little details other than your "word," basically telling people who are killing themselves to earn a living or studying like hell to enter a complex field where they can, and your offer amounts to passive cheerleading. We know nothing about you. What's your track record? how about at least your age or schooling or work history? How about at least an attempt at a decent reason why the hell I should cut off one of my balls for you...with a knife I paid for?

Do you even realize how stupid you sound, how unprepared, and how immaturely self-centered? You wanna fight the good fight, at least give it a serious attempt that we can understand. If Black Spot, Stark, or Jason (and a load more here, some who don't particularly like me) asks me to jump off a cliff with them because I might get something out of it, I'm in...because I know them...I trust them...and I KNOW it has to be more fun than what I'm doing now...because they've all proven to me that they're not in the habit of peeing in my coffee when I'm sleeping... Unnerstan'?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't think I have been trying to save up/get a job? This is a project I'm doing in the meantime. Until now, I had no idea the same people who would tell artists "Why don't you get a REAL job?", included other artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You want me to fill out my profile? If that's the case, you could of just asked. I am also currently in the process of trying to set up the website. This poll was just a litmus test on the type of crowd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't think I have been trying to save up/get a job? This is a project I'm doing in the meantime. Until now, I had no idea the same people who would tell artists "Why don't you get a REAL job?", included other artists.
    If you just want to find someone to do a fun little project with, just say that, and dont go off about legal obstacles and buying licenses from you and bragging rights, its just offputting and wierd, and fits exactly the pattern of every other nut bag who has made a post like yours follows. Seriously, check the older posts, theyre almost word for mis-spelled word like yours; highly complex project based on their unpublished novel, no money (but enough to get the lawyers in to secure copyright)...public meltdown when questioned.. youre showing all the tell-tales of a time-wasting loon. To remedy that, talk straight, in small words, and spell out exactly what you need doing and what you will do in return.
    If you cant offer money, why not offer your skills; can you do 6 hours of accounts in return for 6 hours of art time? Can you paint my house if I design you a load of stuff? If youre not prepared to pay either in money or effort, dont expect anyone to donate their time to you, capiche?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not having a public meltdown, I feel the questions being asked are legitimate and I'm trying to give the answers. As for the copyrights and lawyers, they were suggested to me by family and peers, who were very concerned about my original idea and the contributions of others, being somehow ripped-off. I used what little I had to secure the copyrights, and found lawyers who gave free legal consultation.

For offering my skills, I cannot help in person, nor I cannot illustrate that well (which is the reason why I'm looking here,). However, I can see if I can do some things online for those who ask me.

As for small words and spelling, can you please point out to me where in my posts I needed to make those changes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As for small words and spelling, can you please point out to me where in my posts I needed to make those changes?
    after free editing now too? i already did you sarcastic fuck, when i pointed out you spelled "hear" wrong.

some things online... what is that? 6 hours web design and CMS back end on a portfolio website for 6 hours of art time is something young artists might actually be able to use, unlike bragging rights.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You want me to fill out my profile? If that's the case, you could of just asked. I am also currently in the process of trying to set up the website. This poll was just a litmus test on the type of crowd.
    It turned into a litmus test of yourself, though. Are you surprised?

And you managed to test as "another one from that throng of gonzos who try to fish for spec work".

No one to blame here other than yourself. You come in with zero introduction, zero reputation, nothing to show for your project, nothing but vacuous promises of some grand scale project where no one has creative control (deciding such matters by vote equals no one deciding), which you need lots of expensive work for, in exchange for a generous promise of... bragging rights. To a crowd who have seen a thousand offers like yours and view them as freeloading. Which also shows you didn't even really check who participates in these forums, or what response are offers of this kind typically getting.

At this point it does not matter anymore whether you had been shifty or clueless. This is not a good way to get people interested, to say the least.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I swear, I wasn't being sarcastic. I didn't notice you pointed one out already. I am sorry if I offended you. Hell, I'm sorry if I offended anyone on this forum. Also, I don't know what "CMS back end" is, nor do I have the skill for web design. I'm going to be using SnapPages to create my website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bragging rights are not the only thing I have to offer. Like I said, I'm currently trying to find other ways to benefit artists. The reason I'm not going into more detail about my plans, is that I wanted to see how many people would be even interested first. Not to mention, I'm still in the process of planning the layout of the website.

What do you mean about "deciding such matters by vote equals no one deciding"?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Without beating around the bush, man, this offer of yours is ludicrous on a grand scale. You are speaking to the people of this board as if they are 13 years old and about to get their "FIRST BIG GIG!".
    Plainly and clearly, no one here will want anything to do with this. The professionals of this board comment DAILY about people like you in hopes that young artists DON'T fall for hooks like yours.

You may believe in your heart that you are offering these artists something special in the way of "credit" and "bragging rights" and "exposure", but all you would be doing is getting a LOT of artwork for free and then you own it all for your "legal reasons" (convenient, yeah?). ALL of the benefit is on your end, not the artists.

There are likely other art forums on the web that may be interested in your project, but not this one. If you insist on doing this the way that you are, only a starry-eyed kid who doesn't know better will want to be a part of it.
    Or, just simply say "I am working on a project for fun, who wants to join me?" and leave the legal nonsense buried where it should be, and you might get a few more interested eyes. But if you go that route, it needs to be a true collaboration, equal rights for all involved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do not see you as 13 year old children about to get their "FIRST BIG GIG". I want to see how the project grows and how many would really benefit from it. One thing I'm checking into including, was that if a creator of a work that was adopted into the canon wanted to use it for profitable gains, I would license it to them at no charge when they ask. The only people who would face licensing cost would be people who did not contribute to the official canon.

In all honesty, this project was meant to be much less restrained, and only reason why legalities were involved was because someone else could have easily claimed everything as their own personal property. As a result, not only my story would have been lost, but all of the work from those who contributed too. Would I profit from copyright, yes, but from inspired outsiders and my own ideas. I don't want to rip-off the people who help me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright maybe i was a little harsh but you sounded like every other chancer or dellusional looking for free work from young people already struggling under the recession.

if you want to get people invovled in a collaboration, youre going to have to be open about it. put what youve got up in a sketchbook or whatever and encourage people to comment. help them with their work. if youve got no money youll have to earn somehow, its up to you to figure out how but saying youre working on figuring it out isnt that useful a currency im afraid.
    if someone steals your amazing idea, well, the probability of that happening seems low, but we all have sketchbooks with whatever we wish and are allowed to show displayed in them.
    by all means protect your work, but if its copyrighted why keep it secret?

by cms i meant you said you had some kind of online skill, i guessed web design, so meant you could offer a custom website in exchange for an artists time. my guys got some fancy suits from a london place for doing 5 grands worth of web design. its all about the barter. if you have skills, see if you can use them to pay your way. you said you were an artist, so art.

youll also need to get seriously organised, and be able to explain the project in depth, not just the crazy story but the actual deliverables you need and the goals youre working toward. again, no vague promises, facts and data. and i strongly suggest you save up and raise some capital and hire a young talented kid designer and pay her a grand for 2 weeks work in the summer hols. bragging rights work both ways, when theyre famous in a few years making silly money doing Iron Man 6 you might just be able to hang onto THEIR coat tails.
    good luck.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; May 23rd, 2013 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sorry if I've been so vague to y'all. I've been always told, "Don't show your work until you've got all of your ducks in a row, otherwise people will try and steal it from you and all of your work will be for NOTHING!" Being told stuff that over and over again can make a guy ridiculously paranoid. My story has been written and finished, and it is all about 33 pages in total. I have to create its website so that it has the proper setup, so that it looks appealing. If things go well, it will be up and running before the month is up, or the beginning of next month.

I didn't expect everyone to jump into helping head first. The poll was mainly to give me a general idea on people's feelings and interests in genre, and to perk interests into what it could be. Once it was up and running, I would then invite members of the forum to read my story. Initially, I actually wanted to hold a contest on a site that I'm a member. No money was involved, and the only form of currency accepted were points that could only be used for promotional activities. Even with that, no one I asked for advise on how to run it really wanted to touch the subject, so I had to abandon it. Maybe I can try again some other time, except use real money as an award to winners and afford someone who is not afraid to answer my questions.

I see myself as a literary artist. Not all too good at dialogue though, but I'm working on it.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I could post some bits of my story in my sketchbook. Would you be interested in reading them?

Members who have read this thread: 2