Where is the jaw line?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Where is the jaw line?

Hello everyone it's me againg!

I am still practicing drawing the head and after trying to draw it in perspective I realised I a having trouble drawing the "V" shape of the jaw. Mainly I am unable to acurately point where to put the "peak" of the "v" shape.

Where is the jaw line?

a)Is the peak at the level of the middle of the mouth?/(1/3) from nose to base of the head
    b)Is it at the base of the lips?/ (1/2) from nose to the base of the head

I have looked for reference but it is has been very very contradictory to say the least and it hasn't helped me to solve this.

Where is the jaw line?

and not even proko's reference (my main one becuase he is bases his method on loomis) has been very useful... (acording to his drawing it isn't at neither of those 2 points)

Where is the jaw line?

Some references say that it is at the 1/3 while other say that it is at 1/2. From nose to base of the head.

I am confused... who is right?

thank you for your time!

Last edited by FallenLegend; May 18th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

"There is a right way and an easy way". I am here to do things the right way .

Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It differs from person to person. People have different face structures, therefore there will be different jaws. You could use any of those different proportions, and they would give you results that would be accurate to that individual face structure. There's no absolute formula for every face.

SLAM OR BE JAMMED
    Sketchbook
    My Rival!!
    Tumblr artblog I'm part of

Draw, Antonio; draw, Antonio; draw and don’t waste time.” -Michelangelo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Provenzano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Provenzano View Post
    It differs from person to person. People have different face structures, therefore there will be different jaws. You could use any of those different proportions, and they would give you results that would be accurate to that individual face structure. There's no absolute formula for every face.
    Thank you that explains a lot!.

I feel silly for not noticing it.

Last edited by FallenLegend; May 18th, 2013 at 02:21 AM.
    Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

"There is a right way and an easy way". I am here to do things the right way .

Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where you see it curve it's kinda aligned with the mouth. Those schemes you have there are poorly drawn.

It's important to understand that you are not looking at a line. You are probably not even seeing the jaw edge as you would see in profile. What you are seeing is an edge of a plane of the face or the plane itself perpendicular to your view plane.

Hold your fingers vertically against your face below your eyes and move them slowly back towards the ears. Where do they meet the "jaw line"? Unless you're very skinny, you might be surprised this line is not anywhere close to where your jaw ends but in the middle of your face in profile. In a frontal view of my face, I can't see "the line" where the jaw "meets" the ear at all.

Thinking in 3D instead of 2D will help you a lot. If you have to use media for studies, draw from videos. Track a point in the person's face while the person turns it. Where did it go and why?

Members who have read this thread: 1