Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

"Just shut up and do it, maggot (^∀^*)" - *Warning: butts; critiques very welcome

Links
    DeviantArtTumblrFacebookTwitter

Original Post
    Hello, CA! It's probably painfully apparent that I'm new here, but I figure the best way to get used to all of it is to hold my breath and jump right in. I'm not entirely sure how the whole "sketchbook" thing works, but it's a cool concept, so I guess I'll just start posting things that come out of my hand. Past stuff can be found on Tumblr, deviantArt, and/or Facebook; I have a bad habit of posting things here or there with little to no consistency haha. I tend to draw mostly in "anime-style", and I haven't decided whether I want to break away from it or not. I do know that being well-rounded is a good thing, so part of me coming here was to find exercises to break the mold. Feedback and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Most of the actual "sketchbook" material is done on a physical sketchbook, and sadly I lack a scanner. I may take pictures with my phone's camera now and then but it's a lot of effort for silly sketches. I guess I should just start sketching digitally. Anyway... I suppose it's time to go back to lurking for now! Thanks for dropping by!

"Just shut up and do it, maggot (^∀^*)" - *Warning: butts; critiques very welcome
    Last edited by mimimintan; February 13th, 2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Outdated

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to mimimintan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Weaknesses (that I'm painfully aware of):
    ・Environments
    ・Lighting
    ・Composition
    ・Proper anatomy
    ・Objects
    ・Perspective

Favorite artists
    Algenpfleger ☆ Check this guy out!
    Yu-Han
    WUDUO
    Redjuice
    Takehito Harada
    Shilin
    Kantoku
    ・5 billion others (I wish I was joking)
    Last edited by mimimintan; March 4th, 2014 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Felt like doing a "random Pokemon" drawing (I love Pokemon!).
    I used the Pokedex 3D app to pick a random one and tried to observe the shadows.
    Lighting and rendering is something I really want to work on (among other things).
    I also tried to get used to using "temp layers" to help keep things simpler.

I used mostly different values of a neutral color, then added actual color with different layer styles afterwards.
    This is also something I want to get used to, I think it might help to get more contrast. ...I hope.
    Looking back on it there really isn't as much as I'd have liked anyway.

"Just shut up and do it, maggot (^∀^*)" - *Warning: butts; critiques very welcome"Just shut up and do it, maggot (^∀^*)" - *Warning: butts; critiques very welcome"Just shut up and do it, maggot (^∀^*)" - *Warning: butts; critiques very welcome
    Last edited by mimimintan; February 13th, 2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Shedinja Game Freak and Nintendo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mimimintan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gesture sketches using 1BP and posemaniac's 30 sec. drawing tool. Just a few... I need to work on these e . e
    Resized using IrfanView then strung together, out of order... haha

"Just shut up and do it, maggot (^∀^*)" - *Warning: butts; critiques very welcome"Just shut up and do it, maggot (^∀^*)" - *Warning: butts; critiques very welcome
    Last edited by mimimintan; February 13th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks
    Hoping to focus my efforts on more studies, less games.
    Yes, I've been an MMO addict for over a year now and I'm tired of it!
    Obviously I won't give up games completely but it's time for a long overdue change in priorities.

I'm starting to form an image in my mind of where I want to go with my art from here.
    The typical "line art then color" method has always felt like chains holding me down.
    I always want to start coloring right after I do the sketch.
    So I realized, why don't I? I want to break free from the idea of "line art";
    I believe that lines are important, but I think they're what are keeping me from finishing works
    without massive amounts of agony. There are plenty of artists whom I adore that just
    start painting, and incorporate lines into that process where necessary rather than rely on them.

I got totally off track.
    Another thing I want to bring into my style is really dynamic lighting.
    This is something I've never really worked on before, so I figured before I start
    trying to do it from imagination, I'd better start with some studies;
    imitating photographs since I don't have much access to live models.
    I have one photo I've had saved for years because I love the lighting,
    colors, all of it. I figured I'd start with that.
    (I still have yet to find a good resource for similar material; anyone care to share?)

Original photograph can be found here.

This is just a WIP, it's obviously very messy (more like super nasty)
    but I was hoping I might be able to get some early feedback since I'm very new to this process.
    By new to this process, I mean I haven't done much observation practice in 5-6 years LOL
    I took a figure drawing class a few terms ago, and I do gestures occasionally, but that's it.
    This time I'm mostly focusing on technique, lighting, etc.
    Am I running off in the wrong direction? Anything really obvious I should be worrying about?

Name:  Namine.png
Views: 1038
Size:  1.15 MB

:Edit

Still working on it, but still a long way to go.
Views: 1048
Size:  1.25 MB

I like this whole thumbnails thing that I'm seeing on these threads

Still working, I guess. I'm starting to get tired of it... and tired in general.
    Thinking I may need some sleep. Haha
    I'm having trouble getting everything to look less fake.
    Obviously it won't look perfect (and some areas have barely been touched),
    but to me it looks slapped on, and I don't like that.
    The hair is a nightmare, haha! But, no pain, no gain, right?
Views: 653
Size:  1.39 MB
    Last edited by mimimintan; February 19th, 2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: adding rather than overwriting so I can look back at the progress

Stop dreaming, start drawing!
    Mιmιmιη
    ♥ ・ Derpy Sketchbook ・ Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The uploading tool doesn't seem to be working very well, does it? :c Oh well.

Was playing around last night. I need to figure out how I'm going to go about drawing from now on.
    I don't want to have to change my thread to NSFW so I cut out the rest of the body,
    since I didn't really feel like drawing clothes, either.
    The head's the only thing I really worked on, anyway.

Lesson learned: For stuff like this work bigger, clarity is difficult at small resolutions.
    Also, don't rely on greyscale under drawings any more. Coloring afterwards is a yucky process.

Thanks
    Wow, I like the gestures! Would you ever tried Pixel Lovely? This site is amazing, contains tons of pictures and a nice training system.
    The painting looks nice. I think you can change her mouth and her finger. Like, the finger is partly inside the mouth.
    Btw, this last girl is cute haha ^^

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Bernardo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Fred I have heard of Pixel Lovely, they really are a wonderful site, though I haven't used them much yet. I definitely will be for practice, though!
    Thanks for your feedback; I think I'm finished messing with that painting, it's gotten a bit frustrating so I think I'll move on for now.
    I may come back once I've got the technique down more, but it was really just practice, after all
    Last edited by mimimintan; February 13th, 2014 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mimimintan View Post
    I just fell head over heels for Hannes!
    Me too! Let's start a club! Also take a look at what seems to have been his one-time partner in crime, Jana, if you haven't already, and feel even more envy. Also check out her DeviantArt.

Anyway, ah, animu. I did so much back in high school. Nice Pokemon painting, and nice girlie in the post above that. (And there's actually some really nice stuff on your DA and FB, holy crap!)

Don't worry about style too much. Study what you want to study, experiment with style, do anime here and there, don't do it here and there. Let things fall into place with time. Don't limit yourself, and don't rule out any avenues. I've learned that the last couple months. I jumped around so much on style and direction, I've decided not to worry about it anymore, and just focus on practicing. Others way ahead of me have said the same, so I'll trust 'em.

EDIT: check out Hannes's sample PSDs if you haven't already. I still need to look at them.
    Last edited by diamandis; May 18th, 2013 at 01:02 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @diamandis Ahaha! I still need to look at his PSDs too. Holy cow, Jana's also really intense! ghhhhhhh -foams at the mouth-
    Thanks for your advice. I think what really needs to happen is that I just need to draw, and draw with focus. Like you said,
    I just need to actually start practicing... not just doing it once and saying "look I did it and it sucks but I did it".
    For some reason when I came here I started playing with a new style and found it to feel MUCH more natural than what I had been doing.
    I feel a lot better about painting and drawing now. I still have to work on my diligence above all else, though!

Anyway, I've been practicing a little in my physical sketchbook; it'll take some more time, though.
    Not really anything worth snapping a photo of and uploading.
    So for now, have a sketch of Smeargle...

Smeargle Game Freak / Nintendo
    Last edited by mimimintan; February 13th, 2014 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Arrrgh blurry photos
    Needed to get away from screens for a bit so I hauled my sketchbook upstairs and started doodling.
    I've never actually tried any of these poses and I don't care to.
    The one bending over has a terribly long torso... what are you talking about, I can do anatomy!

Thanks
    Nice start!
    Love the pokemon painting, you got a good sense of colour.

And yeah no point worrying about style I sorta jump back and forth between realistic and anime myself and for a little while I got stuck on trying to draw things a certain way, just best to go with the flow and not force a style on yourself until much later down the line.

Thanks
    I love your style! Looks like no line is out of place, like you control everything. And drawing poses from imagination? My personal goal

Thanks
    @trigger Thanks for your advice, it makes sense. I've learned that frustration is one of the biggest motivation killers.

@Kashi Thanks for your comment! I'm not sure that I can agree with the "no line is out of place" thing, but I am a perfectionist after all, and I appreciate the kind words anyway haha.
    Good luck with the poses! I'm not sure if you know this already but it helps to draw "advanced stick figures", there are a couple ways you can do that.
    The one I like best has to be where you use a "sausage" in place of the torso.
    Liek dat
    Then you can flesh it out like....well, drag the image and see LOL (I'm going to use that to my advantage someday)

Yesterday was kind of a lazy Sunday, I worked a bit on a commission that I've had for a long time.
    I'm not sure I'll do much practicing today, either... I know I should, but... I wanna get this thing done.
    I ended up starting over. I'm not sure what she thinks about it because she hasn't been online in about a week... OTL
    But I'm hoping she won't mind too much. It was just supposed to be a sketch but me doing sketches for commissions was a terrible idea.
    They don't turn out like "sketches".
    Anyway, this is what it looks like right now; part of it, anyway. Kinda ugly atm but it'll get there

This is what it was originally. -gags-
    I think the eyes were a little more expressive in this one, and I'm hoping I can pull off vibrant colors,
    but I was just SO fed up with this. Line art and I don't agree, as I've said before. I'm not friends with
    cell or soft cell type coloring, either... - -;; I may revisit it someday once I've improved, but for now?

no way in heck

Edit: I eventually finished this thing. It can be seen here.
    Last edited by mimimintan; February 13th, 2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: LOL awesome format failure

Thanks
    Thanks a lot! I know about "stick figures" and even tried doing more skeletal ones (with rib cage and pelvis instead of sausage ) but I first need to learn "feel" all the muscles so I draw figures from photos. But stick figures will me my very next step

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast