How do you do a planar analysis on Still life?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello everyone at CA.

I have been trying to do some still lifes lately (doing erarses and simple stuff right now.However someone advised me that I should be doing something called "planear analysis")in order to understand light and form better.

I did some research on planar analysis (the image over here)

Name:  Capturadepantalla2013-05-02alas002430_zps14066ebf.png
Views: 1504
Size:  43.1 KB).

But I am still a bit clueless on this "plane analysis". I was wondering if someone could recomend me a book on the subject or some information on how to do it. I have been trying doing some. But I am not sure if what I am doing is right.I pressume each plane represents a change in value...right??

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by FallenLegend; May 2nd, 2013 at 01:59 AM.
    Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

"There is a right way and an easy way". I am here to do things the right way .

Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well a planar approach is just painting it as though it is a low-poly model. Think of things as having a front, side, top. Each side is a flat surface, and a single value. Anytime there is a plane change there is a value change. That image you posted actually is a very clear example of what it is.

Planar approaches are very very useful...that being said, I took a look at your sketchbook, and I don't think you should be doing this exercise yet. To think in planes (and to get something out of the exercise) requires a certain level of understanding of form and three dimensions, and is a bit advanced for you at the moment--you are still drawing with symbols. I recommend just practicing drawing through objects as though they were made of glass, working on perspective, and also improving your 2d observation as well. Try to always think about how the forms you are drawing exist in space.

Hope this helps!

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think you should wait doing planar analysis, as it is an excellent way to learn about 3d form. I suggest you keep it linear, without values, stick to triangular and rectangular planes, working transparently. It is really analysis, not so much drawing, so take your time, keep erasing and retrying until you think it is correct.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "But I am not sure if what I am doing is right.I pressume each plane represents a change in value...right??"
    Interesting that you said this..! And I think this mindset will help you out more: each change in value represents a change in plane. Value change = plane change. Knowing this, you can look for the most signicant value change steps in your subject, and recongize that there's a plane change there. Then draw it. Draw your subject out in lines and go slowly to make it very accurate. You can add values in later, if you'd like. Here's an example I grabbed off flickr:
    That apple example does an okay job of breaking the apple down into planes, although I wouldn't be blobbing highlights on it. Make your subject a low-poly model and assign ONE value to each plane. Be conscious of where each plane is getting its light from and how light the plane is. Simplify. Use geometric shapes. It might be helpful if you start with a very simple shape (such as a cube) and then continously break it down into smaller planes (diagonal-planes for the top of the apple where it rounds over, more side planes as the apple turns, eventually the stem, etc). Create a base to work off of and work into.
    And of course, start with simple objects and slowly build your way to more complex ones (like human heads)...fruits aren't a bad choice to start but they're very organic and can be difficult to portray geometrically. Doing something man-made, like a remote, a camera, a cup, your monitor... those might be easier entry points. It'll be easier to see the object in planes.

Work hard!

My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr

Members who have read this thread: 5