College

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: College

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question College

Hi everyone!
    I'm an Art student, and I'm writting this post because I'm confused.

Well, I want to become a concept artist and my parents want me to have a formal degree, so I signed up for Fine Arts university. So far I'm kind of disappointed with the classes, is much more about modern/contemporary art and poetry than the Fine Art I was expecting. At the beggining I thought of signing in for Industrial Design, but Fine Arts seems much more embracing than Industrial Design, I dont know if I should change, or not... I dont really know what to think. I would like to have some advice, some direction.

Sorry for my bad english, and thanks for your attention.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Details about what sorts of classes either degree entails? Based only on the name, it seems to me that industrial design could be a greater help in concept art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might I ask what you consider Conceptual Art? To me, Conceptual art and Modern art are similar since Conceptual art became more popular in the Modern art (early 1920s-1970s) and Contemporary art scenes (1980s-current).

What things are you actually interested in creating too? It helps to look at what is required to get either a BA or BFA. Depending on what kind of degree you want is going to depend on what kind of classes you take. Industrial design from my understanding leans more towards architectural work and home design, which is vastly different from Fine Arts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um, if you want to be a concept artist, probably best if you take a college course called Concept Art, I know of several schools off the top of my head that have them. (But I'm in Canada) Fine arts is more for the artsy fartsy, every thing is symbolic, get your stuff in museums kinda crowd. Not that that's bad, but it might not be able to take you in the direction you want to go.
    Though in the end degrees mean nothing in the art world. It's all about your skills, and school is only there to (hopefully) help you learn and build connections.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,459 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Try illustration instead.

Members who have read this thread: 1