Sketchbook: JsscSprngr - Beginner Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: JsscSprngr - Beginner Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

JsscSprngr - Beginner Sketchbook

Hi Everyone,

It's been long time to get serious about my art. I am a beginner, and I'm very eager to learn everything I can to better myself and my craft. I will be posting many of my scribblings, good or bad, in an attempt to have an online journal of my progress and setbacks. I'm glad to be here sharing my passion with all of you, and in turn, getting to know so many others with immense amount of skill, knowledge, and understanding.

Feedback and tips are always appreciated, even on the smallest of things.

Here goes!

Thanks in advance,
    -J

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by JsscSprngr; May 19th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique request on a final sketch - Please & Thank you!

Hello everyone!

I worked a good two weeks putting aside some time between work and the gf, to just focus on correcting the anatomy and trying to get a better understanding of foreshortening. I've brought it up as far as I can right now, and I would really appreciate some feedback before I go on and attempt laying colours.

- I was a bit iffy about the left leg, touching the ground. I'm still unsure if it should be changed, or if it works. I dont want the character to look like he's straining, but just right before that effortless frolic.

- Another concern was the character's hands. His right(reaching) was my number one difficulty in this sketch. The placement of the fingers drove me crazy. I've ended up positioning it as though he's thinking "Yes" blissfully, but I don't know if it's reading that emotion, or if it looks like a failed attempt at a nipple pinch.

- His left forearm was a third. I'm having difficulty making it seem round / long enough.

- His face, to me, seem a bit flat. I was having a hard time finding a reference for the facial structure as this species was created by another artist. So maybe just your opinion on what type of animal it looks like I would be able to go from there.

- Last but not least, CARGO SHORTS! Clothing, one of my many enemies. Does it have enough stretch? Does it work with his body, or do they also seem to fall flap. I didn't want to go overboard with creases in the material, so I played around with it as best I could.

These main points that have been troubling me, but if you see anything else, the pose, the posture, whatever it may be, let me know!
    I appreciate all, and any feedback.

Thanks in advance,

-J

Passion & Patience

If you've got a minute, a crit would be truly appreciated!
    My Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=268823

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally somewhat settled in after moving. Need to get back into a serious groove. I've only been finding a little bit of time to draw here and there.. For some reason I feel guilty sitting down and taking time for myself to practice.

Blah.
    Name:  Wolffish_Head_1h_July28.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  258.2 KBName:  EagleHead_1hour_July27.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  344.9 KB

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketches here Your forms read quite nicely too which is something you don't often see in "beginner sketchbooks."

I feel like your proportions between the head and body (in both the anthro and human sketches) are off. Either the head is too big (especially in the cat and sergal) or too small (the human sketches, especially the woman. The wolf seems more believable though.)

As for your specific questions:
    -Leg on the ground is fine. He doesn't look strained to me. Just running.
    -I'd say the right hand looks nice. I'm not sure it takes a position that tight while just running around frolicking, but it's close.
    -Foreshortening is a bitch with a capital "B." Sad to say I'm no good at it either. The hand looks a little detached from the arm but I really can't put my finger on exactly why that is.
    -The face probably looks flat because the perspective wasn't carefully planed. It helps to draw the skull as a transparent shape using a horizon line and vanishing point just to make sure everything lines up before adding details. To me it looks like his snout and the back of his skull have slightly different perspectives.
    -Yay! CARGO SHORTS! Looks good to me. For the most part you've got the bunching and stretching in the right areas, but practice makes perfect. Drapery is something that requires a lot of life practice and form study to get good at.

Can't wait to see more from you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKasey View Post
    I feel like your proportions between the head and body (in both the anthro and human sketches) are off. Either the head is too big (especially in the cat and sergal) or too small (the human sketches, especially the woman. The wolf seems more believable though.)
    I get that alot, It's definitely something I need to work on. Alot of times when I'm drawing just freehand, characters heads will end up much larger.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKasey View Post
    As for your specific questions:
    -Leg on the ground is fine. He doesn't look strained to me. Just running.
    -I'd say the right hand looks nice. I'm not sure it takes a position that tight while just running around frolicking, but it's close.
    -Foreshortening is a bitch with a capital "B." Sad to say I'm no good at it either. The hand looks a little detached from the arm but I really can't put my finger on exactly why that is.
    -The face probably looks flat because the perspective wasn't carefully planed. It helps to draw the skull as a transparent shape using a horizon line and vanishing point just to make sure everything lines up before adding details. To me it looks like his snout and the back of his skull have slightly different perspectives.
    -Yay! CARGO SHORTS! Looks good to me. For the most part you've got the bunching and stretching in the right areas, but practice makes perfect. Drapery is something that requires a lot of life practice and form study to get good at.

Can't wait to see more from you!
    Someone else also pointed out the image doesn't flow, which also ties into what you're saying about his hand looking tight, him having a stiff posture. Another also suggested tracing paper! Which is honestly, something I almost forgot about.

I see what you mean about his snout, if you cover part of his face it looks straight, then his muzzle is slightly crooked at the end.

I feel as though revisiting this sketch and tracing over will just ruin (for me) effort I put into his details because I know most will be lost to a different line. But it's still something I'm willing to do!

I'll work on him some more and utilize the advice I was given.

A big thank you for stopping and sharing your feedback! It's greatly appreciated.

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you think he looks too stiff take a look at this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF0n8G_yClE
    There's some good information there on making your poses more natural and loose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, very neat! Definitely added to the reference folder. Thanks.

Hopefully home issues get resolved. With no net at the moment and only phone tethering, I`m watching only the best quality video at 144p. Oh Well.

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your sketchbook so far! I agree with SuperKasey onn all points, especially about the face. The best way to add some depth to it would be to use the line of the mouth. I'll try my hand at trying to help you with the left hand, but I might fail pretty badly. I hope you don't mind, I just did a quick sketch over in photoshop for the hand and the face. It's hard to explain what I mean. Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  36.8 KB

The left arm looked off to me, and I'm not sure if what I sketched for you was what you were going for. Even the sketch over looks kind of off to me but I think the foreshortening was off originally. I THINK if you wanted it to be foreshortened instead of the kind of different view I sketched in, you would want the hand and arm more squished. Name:  Capturew.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  33.1 KB

Overall I think your sketches are really strong. I love the movement in your lines in all your sketches, and I feel like even though there are some things here and there that might be a little "off", the vast majority of your work so far has a very good understanding of anatomy. What I also see in your drawings is the beginnings of some very nice line weight. There are just hints of it here and there, but I am excited to see what else you will post.

Nice work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh! That's second sketch of his arm was more what I was going for. I see what you mean. I'm an incredibly visual person, so I really appreciate the sketch over.

I see, I stretched out his bicep, but squished his forearm which looks weird. Your sketch over definitely gives more of a "Being lifted" feeling.

Thanks for the Feedback, LeMk1216!

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again, other Jess! I think that some of your linework is very very nice - his feet/claws in the latest picture for example - and it's obvious that your drawing and linework in things you're more confident about/are drawing more loosely look good, better than stuff you're hesitating on.
    keep it up! I'll drop by from time to time.

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Krysjez

Thanks! I really appreciate it. There's still so much I've yet to learn, and knowing that I'm somewhat on the right path definitely is a nice inspiration.
    This site has definitely helped me understand a lot of what I was and am doing wrong.

I hope I wont let you guys down!

On another note

Here's my current sketches for the COW #300. I fear I'm not going to make it on time. But I'm still going to get as much done as I can.

The Monarch

This creature has no form of attack, or defense. It relies solely on other members of the colony to protect it.
    Though most species of Sea dragons have the eggs individually attached to the tail, this separate species carries a large egg sack supported by their tail and upper extremities. The brood patch is located underneath it's tentacles which allows the Monarch to supply the eggs with oxygen.

After a period of 9 weeks, the eggs are finally ready to hatch, at which point the egg sack, normally composed of a thick mucus, begins to thin, allowing the young to break through.

The young are then left in the care of the Breeder (Nursery Keeper - Still to come)

Name:  BCC_SketchPage_03.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  356.7 KBName:  BCC_Silhouettes_09_small.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  337.3 KB

The Scout

This little creature has tiny crab like claws for defense and gathering different types of materials it may encounter on patrol.
    It's single sail-like dorsal fin allows it to stop abruptly and make quick, sharp turns to evade predators.

((The tail is being reworked to blend better with the creature's anatomy... I think if I left it flat, it would interfere with it's capability to be agile.. But I really like the horizontal tail compared to a vertical. Blargle))

Name:  BCC_SketchPage_04.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  182.4 KB

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys, before I get too finalized with my lines and end up stuck with an awkward looking creature. Overall I think it looks okay. I'm still concerned with my scout's functionality, but it's an easy fix.

Is anything off? Is there anything that wouldn't function?
    The rest of my silhouettes are here http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=270653&page=4
    I'm still a little unsure if I'm flooding my replies with images or if this works.

Any-who, Hope you guys have a second to spare to leave your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Peer Project Exercises - Crits appreciated

Cast shadows are kicking my ass.

Name:  Exercise_02_ToneWIthColour.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  159.5 KB

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Minor corrections to his face.
    Name:  Sergal_Corrections.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  199.5 KB

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Exercise_03_LightAndColour.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  114.3 KB

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your drawings. The wolf is coming along really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cojac View Post
    I love your drawings. The wolf is coming along really good.
    Thank you, Cojac, I'm glad you enjoy them.
    As for the wolf, it still needs a lot more corrections, but I think it's been enough of a learning process to safely move on.

This morning's scribblings

I've mostly just sketched creatures, characters and props. environments and composition are relatively new. Any feedback is incredibly welcomed and appreciated. I personally enjoy the low horizon line, and I think it will be the one I proceed with. Bare with me, I'm slow at this.
    Name:  Warg_01.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  435.5 KB

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Sketching_01-2.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  145.0 KB

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the creature stuff looks cool, you could practice some dynamic gestures it looks a bit plain in the pose. keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  ID_Shrunk.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  297.2 KBName:  Free_Sketch_02.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  204.3 KBName:  Free_Sketch_01-2.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  167.7 KB

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few studies, and sketches from november. So very little, needing so many more.

Name:  Sketchbook_December_03.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  481.1 KBName:  Sketchbook_December_02.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  305.6 KBName:  Sketchbook_December_01.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  391.0 KB

The last CoW attempt. I was thinking some strange mix between a wombat and a macaw, which soon went south into a more serpent like caterpillar creature.

The initial idea for this creature had Zygodactyl feet to help it grasp branches and climb trees. The colour pattern on it's stomach allowed it to warn it's colony members of approaching danger. It lived in nests similar to a drey. It fed mainly on the sap of trees, venturing down to the trunks at night to feed and returning to their tree tops during the day.
    Name:  Aposematic Stalk Eyed Honey Sucker.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  580.4 KB

Afterwards came Melserpens, The Honey Serpent.
    A strange, large type of creature similar to a caterpillar in appearance.
    Name:  Aposematic Stalk Eyed Honey Sucker Final Concept.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  485.8 KB

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need some desperate feedback on this. At first I was very happy with the results, but day two came around and with a fresh pair of eyes.. well, I'm ready to scrap it. All of it is so very boring.

Tone is my current adversary... Among others.
    How can I give him more life?

Changing his pose is obvious, but the lighting is also very flat, with which I am having a very difficult time.
    I also realize his shoulders need a lot of attention, the tree looks completely 2d.

In any case,
    thanks for taking a minute to look.
    It's appreciated.

Name:  EverGreen_Giant_WIP_01.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  135.4 KBName:  EverGreen_Giant_WIP_05.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  145.0 KB

Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am really enjoying you anthros and the concept work looks awesome keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by JsscSprngr; February 9th, 2014 at 01:23 PM.
    Passion & Patience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Layout_01.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  888.5 KB

Passion & Patience

Members who have read this thread: 16