Thanks

Anyone been paid via Freelancer.com?

Hey guys, I know this should probably go in the employment section but it is dead over there and I need help fairly soon. I'm in talks with a small dev team which is taking AGES because the guy running it keeps messing around with different payment schedules and not wanting to use paypal. He is worried we will all run off with his money without doing any work. When I said what if we do the work and you dont pay us he said that he wants to pay through a mediator site called Freelancer, which apparently sorts out contracts and makes sure both parties stick to them. I was just wondering of anyone here has used it and if it's legit or not? I'd rather have half now half later but this guy is well not up for that.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseaker View Post
    I'm in talks with a small dev team which is taking AGES because the guy running it keeps messing around with different payment schedules and not wanting to use paypal. I'd rather have half now half later but this guy is well not up for that.
    Sounds like that client is a bit flaky regardless of which payment service used. Asking for a deposit half up front is industry standard. If a client is worried that artist would run off with their money. Show previous projects in portfolio, provide professional reference a client could interview, and use a contract that would fairly hold both parties accountable.

Here is a basic guide on a contract:
    -What can be expected on both parties, as well as holding both parties accountable.

http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/1844015/

As for sites like Odesk.com, Elance.com, and Freelancer.com. They tend to be bad or a liability. Why? Because they seldom follow even the basics of Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines. One of services even require you to have a webcam/live stream so that client can see what you are doing. Not only is this an invasion of privacy, but this can put you out of commission if you are working on multiple projects with an NDA.

Secondly those sites encourage spec work. Why would a reputable mediator encourage conditions where an artist can apply for a job, do the labor, and still might not get paid...yet still collect fees. Sounds legit?

Stephen Silver explains why spec work/contest are generally bad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GungyYUZVrU
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BirdBirdBirdX3; April 29th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BirdBirdBirdX3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you Bird, it seemed like a pretty shady way to arrange a contract so I thought I'd better check. I'll tell them to write up a real one or I'm out, I'v wasted enough time with him messing around as it is.

Thanks
    Sunseeker,

I concur with Bird on this because those 'freelancer' sites are generally not trustworthy. Not only that you have to pay membership and access to bid for jobs which I think is ridiculous. I've dealt with at least one of them several years ago and I can tell you that some of the clientele on there have some really insane expectations on the job parameters for such low pay. He's right in that those sites don't follow the basic structure of the GAG's Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines. Those sites foment and encourage 'spec work' especially clientele from countries outside of the United States that take advantage of them based on their countries' economy. Those sites force you to 'underbid' others. In other words, cheapening yourself for service.

There was one gig I saw several years ago but did'nt bid for it. This guy wanted a quick turnaround of 200 sketches in less than 2 days for a character design for around, I think, $150. It was the most insane thing I've ever seen because he was cheapening the actual volume of the work involved. And that's just ONE example of what I've seen. I dropped out of that 'elance' crap since then and vowed never to use them.

There was one client way back in 2005 who posted a job ad on CA here and he flaked out without providing a contract after agreeing to use my services. But this was years ago so I don't know how much CA has cracked down on 'spec' clientele here who may have migrated from those 'freelancer' sites. Since then, I stayed away from that focusing on other things.
    Last edited by Pilgrim1099; April 29th, 2013 at 02:48 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim1099 For This Useful Post: