3D artist desires critique on color in digital sketch

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3D artist desires critique on color in digital sketch

Hey Guys,
    Admittedly I am not a concept artist. I am producing my portfolio for Game Environments and want to get away from photo bombing my textures. I want to hand paint stylized textures so someone suggested I work on my digital painting skills. My big concern is my color. If anyone would be so kind to give me some input I would appreciate it. I'm going for a Pixar/Disney meets Sargent kinda thing. Thanks for helping

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,123 Times in 2,672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When thinking of color you first choose your lightsource strength. Then you choose your hue, then your saturation. When you know those three properties you can make a determination about the shadow color. Shadow color can be opposites to that which you chose for your light (as a starting place for theory)...like strong yellow oranges for sunset, and purple/blues for shadows. The stronger the light source, the harsher the range of value between light and shadow. If you work with the theory of opposites you can develop palettes for warm light cool shadows, cool light-warm shadows, compliments etc...

The biggest thing you can do is start painting more, digitally, from life. Still life, figure, landscape...interiors...the works. That is where truth is found...and that always trumps theory, when it comes to finding answers.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.