Please Critique before I start to paint this

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Please Critique before I start to paint this

Please critique this. I want to be able to paint this image but before I do I would like a critique on this.
    It's the proportions that I am concerned with.

Please let me know

Thanks for looking

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,131 Times in 2,679 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishrose View Post
    Please critique this. I want to be able to paint this image but before I do I would like a critique on this.
    It's the proportions that I am concerned with.

Please let me know

Thanks for looking

Measure the distance from his sternum to his shoulders...each of them. what do you see?

Measure the distance from his greater trochanter (top of leg) to knee and from knee to bottom of foot. What do you see?

Do you see what I am seeing?

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Measure the distance from his sternum to his shoulders...each of them. what do you see?

Measure the distance from his greater trochanter (top of leg) to knee and from knee to bottom of foot. What do you see?

Do you see what I am seeing?
    Jason, First of all I want to thank you for your questions that you asked. It made me think about what I was seeing. I studied the ref and my drawing I noticed that the chest was to long and the knee also (our left) was to narrow on our right the foot wasn't turned the way it should have been in relation to the knee. So I found a guide for anatomy that I am going to use as a guide. I also used a stick figure and then I started to draw the man from the ref that I had. I made some changes like the belt and boots. I also added shadow.
    This took about two days to do this I did learn a great deal and it was well worth the two days.

Please critique this

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I apologize for taking so long to post an update. I had a work - related accident that held me up.

I'm not done with this but I wanted to give an update on this.

Critiques alway welcome.

Name:  revised male soldier5.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  40.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update
    Please Critique this I would appreciate it

Name:  revised male soldier6.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  49.1 KB

Thank you for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final Piece
    Please critique

Name:  revised male soldier8.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  40.3 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you posted the reference it might be easier to critique. But the main point is that you should spend as much time observing and meassuring as possible when doing something like this. Especially his face right now could use a lot more work. Color wise you're doing pretty good though.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tobbA If you posted the reference it might be easier to critique. But the main point is that you should spend as much time observing and meassuring as possible when doing something like this. Especially his face right now could use a lot more work. Color wise you're doing pretty good though.
    I agree with you his face definetly needs work. I have been doing studies on anatomy and been practicing alot.

Here is the reference.

Name:  soldier.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  65.5 KBName:  revised male soldier8.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  40.3 KB

How can I improve on this. Or should I start all over. I do have several copies of this which I was going to delete but I won't at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't take this the wrong way but did you end up fully tracing the photo in photoshop and sampling the colours from the photo using the eyedropper?

It just looks like the position is almost too perfect a match from the left to the right for you to have done it without tracing. Just curious because you will learn much more if you don't actually trace and use the eyedropper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cfhd

Don't take this the wrong way but did you end up fully tracing the photo in photoshop and sampling the colours from the photo using the eyedropper?

It just looks like the position is almost too perfect a match from the left to the right for you to have done it without tracing. Just curious because you will learn much more if you don't actually trace and use the eyedropper.
    No I am not taking it the wrong way. No I did not trace the reference. I was wondering why nobody was critiquing me. I went online to look for the correct proportions and I found this site http://www.realcolorwheel.com/human.htm and I copied and pasted the guide so that I would have it.

Then I went into photoshop with the guide and I also used the Photoshop's Grid to draw this reference. Once I am determined to draw without tracing I will not trace. I know that is not the way to learn how to do anatomy. It took two days to do this because of all the breaks I took and getting frustrated with drawing him out. I have been practicing daily doing the 30 sec studies from posemaniacs. It has been helping me. I drew some yesterday and put into my sketchbook if you would like to take a look. It is the last post.

This is the stick figure I made in photoshop.

Name:  stick figure3.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  46.5 KB

About using the eyedropper Yes I did use the colors from the reference. Is this wrong, or should I have done my own colors. I used the hard round and soft brush for this.

Now that I have explained this I hope I will get some feed back with this. I am working on another one that I am going to start today using the Photoshops Grid and stickfigure hopefully it won't take so long this time.

Last edited by spanishrose; May 2nd, 2013 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Using the eye dropper is like tracing, only with color. You aren't training your eyes to see the colors and understand them but are simply copying them and putting them in the right places. So yes, it's better to avoid using the eyedropper.

For practicing proportions and anatomy I'd go with a different, more basic pose and don't use photo reference. The "outside" of a human being can be pretty confusing if you don't know what's going on beneath the skin. This goes to show by where you drew the hips of the figure; they are far too high up. Have you looked up "Figure Drawing for all it's Worth" by Andrew Loomis, or "Constructive Anatomy" by George Bridgeman? They will help you look at the human body differently and teach you to break it down into basic shapes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.