demon painted: Update

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: demon painted: Update

Sadclown Guest

Well, I've been working on this the last couple of days and I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along. I've really only worked on the actual demon so the the accessories (shoes, swords knives etc. ) still look very basic. And the background is just there for now.

Anyway, I would REALLY REALLY like some comments and suggestions on how to make it better, so c'mon guys gimme da replies!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    improve foot and make first a skecht of a dynamic pose
    drawn it again

Sadclown Guest
    Thanks for the comment Carlocki, but this isn't getting into a dynamic pose. He's sort of a commander of Hells army, he just sorta stands there and points the troops a certain way - hence the big ass tummy. He doesn't move around much. But thanks for the reply.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok just search on internet for some Slayer (gothic Thrash metal band) cover album
    you could find some inspiration

try south of heaven
    reign in blood
    or seasoni n the abyss

Sadclown Guest
    I've heard slayer, seen their covers and ummm...no.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not too keen on the background (my opinion). Red and Yellow just don't seem like the right colours. Also the bulges on his forearms look a bit weird. Once you fix those things you'll have a nice piece, but hey what do I know :p

Sadclown Guest
    Thanks for the reply Groady.

You're totally right about the background. I was really just experimenting with colors to see what would bring out the blueish-grey color of the demon. I need to figure somethign out for it though.

Yeah the forearms got something weird going on. I've been having trouble with the highlights. I just can't seem to make it look round rather than flat. I'll keep working on it though.

Thanks alot for the comment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey saddclown...this guy looks awesome. I especially like the face and his tatoo like markings. I am an extreme noob...I couldn't even come close to this good of a painting...but here are a couple suggestions. For the background you could maybe go for a dull orange or red...(that's opposite blue on the color wheel right?)...I think that would help pop it out...maybe give some vague details in the background of the army that he is instructing. His ankles and feet at this point don't really look like they can support him...they look small for his weight or body or whatever...I would expect him (because of his hands) to have some wide feet too. His pectoral muscles look awesome man...great job. That sword on his back rocks too but one thing I noticed is the strap that wraps around his body doesn't seem to have any weight or pressure...what I mean is that if it was tighter around his body it would displace his skin where the strap was...like the pectoral muscle would be folded in a bit where the strap is and also the stomach. Looks great...definitely post an update if you do anything else to it...I love the bloody texture of the background right now though...maybe just dull the colors a bit. If you did this in painter mess with the "effects/tonal control" settings...they can do some cool things.

Last edited by MindCandyMan; January 6th, 2003 at 03:10 PM.

Sadclown Guest
    Wow, I've never gotten such a thoroughly competent and thought-out response to one of my posts. Thank you so much, MCM.

You're right about the ankles/feet and the strap on his sword. The strap, I thought would be pushed out because of the distended stomach, but it ended up looking funny. I have to admit the embarassing fact that I didn't even notice the feet until after I had inked it. It's a bummer, but it's too late to change those. I can paint a little bit with a mouse, but trying to redraw lines with it...uh-uh. I'm just not that good.

I like your thoughts on the background. I may just shade in a bit here and there to suggest an army back there. And you're right that the color needs to be toned down alot. I'll work on that too.

Once again thanks so much for the comments. I'll post an update as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know exactly what you mean about inking something and then going...oh crap!...how did I miss that?! That happens on virtually all the drawings I do since I am such a rookie hehe...I am learning to step back and look objectively...recently I have started walking out of the room for like 20 seconds and then walking back in and looking at it...amazing what that can do. If you ended up not liking the final composition (not being able to re-render his feet and all) you could consider cropping the composition...I'm not sure what it would look like but could be an option. Great work man...I can't wait to see the update.

Sadclown Guest
    Hey, MCM thanks for the words. That's a good idea about leaving a drawing for awhile and then coming abck to it. I need to start doing that. I find myself screwing things up in an irreparable way, far too often.

I don't think I'm gonna crop this one though, just chalk it up to a learning experience, right? hehe.

anyway...this is a small update. touch-ups on the feet and the sword. I got the right (our right) forearm looking like it's actually round now, but I'm having trouble with the left one. But I'm still working on it, and I've learned so much so far. This kinda my first character painting so it's pretty cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice wip. I see the improvements and i like them. I actually like the way that the left(our left) forearm looks. the one on the right looks like its filled with puss and is about to explode!! KABOOM!!!:p

anyways, I like the treatment you gave to the bg. the light source is coming from the top left isn't it? I would still make the darker parts darker and the lighter parts lighter. if the burn and dodge tool try making a new layer and paint lighter colors where you want it to be lighter. seems like its looking good so far! keep going!

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Sadclown Guest
    lol, yeah, I guess his forearm does look like that, but that's kinda the way I want it to look. Ya know, he's big and fat and he's a demon. He's a big fat ass demon. Maybe he is filled with pus, ya never know.

I do need to make it more contrasty (that can't be a word but oh well), but I don't use the dodge and burn tools. I don't like the way they look. All of it's 100% paintbrush tool. I use various custom brushed and different opacities. Thanks for the reply, I'm still working on it and I'll have another update soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sadclown you are moving in the right direction with this piece...it is getting much better. The background is great. Maybe what would help the forearms is some ripples from the other muscles. I think it's awesome to give him huge forearms...looks menacing. Maybe show the other muscles it is pressed against...just a thought not sure if that will look good. Another thing you might want to do to give the horns more depth is to put some ridges in them. I don't know if that makes sense. At any rate great job man.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.