Sketchbook: Malacandrax's sketches
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Malacandrax's sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Malacandrax's sketches

So I already have a blog, but I wanted to start doing more studies, and I didn't want to clog up my blog with things from my sketchbooks that were less finished, so I'm starting a sketchbook thread!
    I'll try and post everything I do, Algenpfleger style .
    Hopefully I can eventually improve on here, any feedback is readily accepted !!!!
    my blog- http://malacandrax.tumblr.com/

Heres what I managed the night before last, and yesterday
    Lots of 60 second gesture drawings (probably 50-60, I got tired of numbering them after then )
    Some quick (5-10 mins) studies of faces, and lots of my hand.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by malacandrax; June 5th, 2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: edit-changed top pic
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yesterdays work

I dont know if this is how to add to a post, i guess I'll find out.
    Just a 10 minute scenery paint, a bunch of silhouettes, and a 20 minute face
    I forgot my sketchbook, like an idiot, so I'll have to scan in all the gestures I did tommorow >_<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! Nice linework on the studies. I like the thumbs as well. I'm not great at critiques, so sorry about that. From what I can see though, it looks like you are already pretty far along in your skill set. Just keep doing studies, and building up that mileage! Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yesterdays (and a little of todays) work

Some 30 second gestures, 5-20 minute life drawings, and some really quite awful sketches from my uni project, I need to do more personal work, I'll hopefully upload more tonight!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

speedpaints

10 mins ish speedpaints

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few sketches from imagination, and a couple of referenced people wearing clothes. Lifes suddenly gotten super busy! Sorry for the lack of update, and the picture quality

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some really nice stuff in here, I would love to see more of that style of yours. Altought your color is a bit rough except if you did that intentionally. Again, amazing work keep up the good work. How long you've been busy with art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks newtone! I've been arting for a while, I'm 20 and doing illustration at uni, but I never really stumbled upon conceptart until recently, seems like theres some tough competition to get into the field .

Okey doke, heres a couple of photo studies, the environment about 20 mins, and the two figures are an hour each (the bagpipes is a present for my dad XD) I've got some sketches too, but I'll wait until I can scan them this time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some 50 second gestures, and a couple of bammes and bridgman arms (I still aim to actually do more of these on the page, but I havnt had chance to do more yet!) And some sketches from imagination (the last two). Im thinking I might challenge myself to do 30 characters, I have a huuge weakness of not being able to think of poses or interesting clothes, and it art blocks me so hard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I like your drawings! Some time ago I had some issues with poses, but now what I do is improvise [drawing random lines and then found on them something interesting] or watching videos of people dancing or something I take some screenshots and then modify the pose.. or I do weird poses in front of the mirror xD That last one helps me a lot hahah c:

And for the clothes, I always think on "how to make this girl look thinner or taller"? With a long dress and vertical lines and maybe combining chinese and irish style or something. Using references here is very useful
    Keep it up!

{ •deviantART• }
    { •Sketchbook• }
    {"Where the spirit does not work with the
    hand there is no art." Leonardo Da Vinci.
    }

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Subscribed! I really like your faces and character sketches. makes me want to pick up a pencil and draw right now, but alas I have to study. Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm subscribing to your thread. So keep posting, 'cause I'm watching you, like a creepy, creeper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew! Its back up, my inspiration totally dried up when conceptart was down :'(. Sorry for not posting this week, I've had a killer essay to do, finally finished it, so hopefully I can get back on track!
    argaelie- Thanks for the advice! I love doing that loose line exercise , though sometimes they come out a little strange
    tyn- Thankyou! I'm loving your book , I'll be keeping an eye on your stuff

So I'll scan in some sketches tommorow, but this is tonights work, and another paint of the street I did before, this time with a limited red and green colour scheme, for my colour and comp class.
    Theres two speedpaints with ref, and one hour painting from imagination, with a crazy skintone.
    I have trouble getting my girls to look girly XD, my boyfriend thought it was a boy (my excuse is that she's young)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    massive sketchbook update! XD, the things I did in the week when conceptart was down, and also since then . Mostly from imagination, with a couple of tonal studies and a few things from my illustration project, including the painted portrait, also from head.
    Hopefully I can stay a bit more up to date next time . I have loads of deadlines coming up, but I'll post whatever I manage to squeeze in

Last edited by malacandrax; May 17th, 2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: OH NO! The pictures are huge!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool sketches, nice style with the characters! keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    character for my project, I also have some face sketches, but the uploaders being funny on me, and won't upload anything smaller than a certain size....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool sketches! I really enjoy the character that you keep sketching. My only suggestion would be to do more hand and feet studies. You seem to have poses down will, but those two things take away from a lot of your regular sketches. I'd love to hear the story behind your characters if you have one. They are really cute!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @stroudle- thanks! I'll get on that soon , I definitely avoid them. Theyre actually characters from Audrey Niffenegers 'Moths of the new world' that I'm illustrating for my uni work , I wish they were mine! The girl is a 'living book' so shes a personification of a book on moths.
    Some things I've been working on for a project, hopefully the gif works. The books took me a couple of hours, and the other one from like, 7 to 10 hours, crit is welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jeez, Its finally back up, damn server -_-. My two final pieces for my uni project this term, and also two speedpaints, one about half an hour and the other an hour and a half. I'll post more later today hopefully

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a ghibli background speedpaint
    annd a WIP of a character, excuse the sketch in the corner , I'm getting bored XD.
    Feel free to critique so far! Theres definitely something wrong with it, I can tell, but I can't see what it is, I've messed up on the pose somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Checking in there, very cool stuff you got there.
    Really like your little character. Makes me think of a mix of Vincent from Final Fantasy 7 and Harry Potter

For your pose, your character look very straight, which makes your pose feel a bit forced and unnatural.

I'd play more with the shoulder and hips lines like this :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Naemy- Thankyou! I've tried to give him a bit more of a curve, without making it too ladylike XD. I'll probably edit it more as I go along!
    SO. Ignoring the face...which needs some serious re-doing, heres another WIP, trying out some cool triangle brushes, I really don't get on with circles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your style and character designs. Your sketches really make me want to see the final versions of everything

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @BiSK- Thankyou !!! It makes me happy to know that my sketches are liked by somebody XD, I seem to be lacking in good sketchbook material recently, its all a bit below par in my head
    Another WIP, I've sorta realised that the position he's holding is a little uncomfortable, le sigh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finished! I dont know how long it took, probably 6-10 hours spread over a few days , still some issues with parts of it I think, but I'll just try not to make the same mistakes next time , any crits are appreciated!!!

Members who have read this thread: 1