doing artwork for an online card game

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

doing artwork for an online card game

Hello everyone.

I recently managed to get a client who wants to hire me to create artworks for an online card game they are working on now. the thing is that I am not too sure what the common price is for online card game artworks and I do not want to be a lowballer either. They mentioned me a price and I did artwork for a more traditional trading card board game before for about the same amount of money but I still would like to know for sure.

basically the price they mentioned me is okay with me to create artworks for them for but now comes my biggest question: copyright.

i asked them to show me their contract beforehand and as i thought they want the full copyright over the artwork. I am not too happy about this since I am willing to license the artwork to them exclusively to use for their game and no other game but i still want to be able to use the work to promote myself, put in my own artbook or being able to use when the game does not exist anymore.

i talked to some fellow artists about this who have done artwork for online card games and the like before and they told me they always gave away the full copyright of their work since the artwork belongs to the universe of a game so much that it is hard to use for anything else anyways. they were however still allowed to show it on their websites and sometimes even sell the art as prints.

so i am not sure...i really do want this job but i do not want to get screwed over and i feel that the price they want to pay me is okay for usage in the game but not for full copyright but i do not know what a good price would be?. So what would be a decent minimum price for digital artwork for an online card game including copyrights? or should i better try to negotiate to give them an exclusive license instead of a copyright and just say no to the job in total if they do not agree with this? ( the artwork would not be extremely realistic and detailed like for example the magic the gathering cards...but more simple)

sorry for the long text but i appreciate your help

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,429 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    At least double the usual price. Look up "work for hire" term to get more info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    At least double the usual price. Look up "work for hire" term to get more info.
    thank you for your reply i looked up the "work for hire" and it was helpful. still...if anyone could give me an idea of what the going rate is for trading card game artwork...mainly digital then that would be helpful as well

Members who have read this thread: 1