How do you learn to paint digitally?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How do you learn to paint digitally?

Hello People of Conceptart. I am the newbie that loves to ask questions

I am still practicing the anatomy stuff I told you I was going to (currently working on head angles and improving a lot with loomis ball method). But I am aslo trying to learn how to paint with a tablet . I mostly want to learn to paint realistic humans with a tablet on a digital medium. My goal is to one day paint something like this:http://mythicsonofgod.deviantart.com...51341754&qo=93

Practice is the key of course.

However I am aconfused on the"when,how and what to practice part". Because I don't know how to start or the steps to follow (I don't want to try run before learning to crawl as a baby lol, as I always do).For instance I tried to paint skin with my limited knowledge on blending (cartoony character)http://mythicsonofgod.deviantart.com...csonofgod&qo=0, but I think it's obvious for me that I lack some previous knowledge I should have had mastered before attempting this one(don't know wich knowledge however).There is so much information on the net about digital painting I don't even know where to start! or when I should have previous knowledge before trying something new.

I would like to start from the very basics before going for complex stuff. I heard that the best way is learn to shade basic shapes on black and white and then learn color theory and apply it, what do you think?.

I would appreciate a lot if you could guide me a bit on what to practice and the steps (the order I would have to learn stuff) I should follow inorder to learn how to digitally paint.

note the only traditional medium I have acces right now is watercolors :/ (Altough I would take a tablet over them any day).But if you guys think traditional mediums are essential, I would give them a shot again .

Thank you and best regards!

Last edited by FallenLegend; April 22nd, 2013 at 03:10 AM.
    Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

"There is a right way and an easy way". I am here to do things the right way .

Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grab a mug, put it under a light, and paint it. Repeat with other objects and people.

You spend far too much time worrying about the "right way" or "best way" to practice. Dive in, get your hands filthy and make mistakes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OfficialLamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forget painting. Learn to draw to a certain level of accuracy first. Let your goal be 500 drawings/sketches of inanimate compositions; everyday objects, still lifes, buildings, cars, etc... anything in front of your eyes that won't move long enough to finish a sketch. Use strictly pencil or pen on paper.
    That's "what and how". "When" is whenever you have time.

Btw, the painting you mentioned as your goal is not too good. If you need to have role models, look for them amongst master artists, not mediocre ones. If you feel you have trouble discerning between two, consider attending an introductory class on western art history.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LaCan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You learn to paint digitally by learning to draw in pencil, first. Then painting with real paint. Then you'll be able can do it digitally too.

Beginning right away with digital tools is more frustrating than useful. So learn to construct a simple form first, and start studying lighting in pencil. Still life is considered best for it, since it cannot run away.

BTW, if you think that sample you've linked is a really good painting, you have to develop a better eye for good painting. It's rather pedestrian, and certainly not very painterly. You should strive to learn to paint much better than that, not like that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    Grab a mug, put it under a light, and paint it. Repeat with other objects and people.

You spend far too much time worrying about the "right way" or "best way" to practice. Dive in, get your hands filthy and make mistakes.
    Thank you, I will!. I guess I figured you had to learn numbers before doing equations . But art is totally differnet from what I have attempted before... and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by LaCan View Post
    Forget painting. Learn to draw to a certain level of accuracy first. Let your goal be 500 drawings/sketches of inanimate compositions; everyday objects, still lifes, buildings, cars, etc... anything in front of your eyes that won't move long enough to finish a sketch. Use strictly pencil or pen on paper.
    That's "what and how". "When" is whenever you have time.

Btw, the painting you mentioned as your goal is not too good. If you need to have role models, look for them amongst master artists, not mediocre ones. If you feel you have trouble discerning between two, consider attending an introductory class on western art history.
    Aim higher, learn to master the pencil first...I got it. I will work on that thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    You learn to paint digitally by learning to draw in pencil, first. Then painting with real paint. Then you'll be able can do it digitally too.

Beginning right away with digital tools is more frustrating than useful. So learn to construct a simple form first, and start studying lighting in pencil. Still life is considered best for it, since it cannot run away.

BTW, if you think that sample you've linked is a really good painting, you have to develop a better eye for good painting. It's rather pedestrian, and certainly not very painterly. You should strive to learn to paint much better than that, not like that.
    Still like the best way to study values. I guess my standards were to low for you guys, I will work on that and show you the results . Just a question are watercolors fine for this kind of work?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by FallenLegend; April 22nd, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
    Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

"There is a right way and an easy way". I am here to do things the right way .

Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Members who have read this thread: 3