Corrupetd PSD. Files

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Corrupetd PSD. Files

Hey guys!

First I unfortunately donīt have much experience with computer stuff. If there are any crucial informations that you need to get a better impression of my problem please just let me know. Iīll try to come up with them.

The Photoshop version I use is CS6 and my OS is Vista 32bit with the service pack 2. My Graphics card is the ATI Radeon HD 4650

I have the following problem:
    Sometimes when I save my files they get corrupted and end up as "Type 13" files that I canīt open with any program.
    The really weird thing is that it happens kind of randomly. Often everything goes fine and the file is alright. Then suddendly a file gets corrupted. Then the next image is fine again.
    I searched a lot on the web but I didnīt really find anything that fits to my problem.
    I want to underline that there is no issue with saving itself. I donīt turn off the PC to early or stuff. I just let it save and then the file ends up either corrupted or not.
    I also have this problem since I installed CS6 the first time a few month ago.

Did somebody maybe make similar experiences or is there someone that could help me out in some way?
    Iīd really appreciate some help because I canīt fix it by myself.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To anybody who maybe shares the problem from above. I randomly found the mistake by myself!
    The problem with the file was caused by itīs name. I used to save my studys with the full date. For example: "Loomis Anatomy 12.03.13" It seems that then they get saved as "type 13" files. If youīd save them as "Loomis Anatomy 12.03.12" theyīd be saved as "type 12" files and so on. So the year is the problem. I donīt know why that happens because if you save the date without the year like "Loomis Anatomy 12.03" everything is fine. But whatever Iīm incredibly relieved finally to be able to save without worrying about the file!
    So I hope that helps if there is anybody with the same stupid problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Hi Mathias.

Windows automatically assumes that what comes after your last period is the extension. The extension itself doesn't actually matters that much (it doesn't matter at all) what matters is the file extension's association. And that the association has compatibility with the file. If you open the typexx file with photoshop, irfanview or similair once, the association will stay with the software. That's probably how you've managed to open 03 files after renaming them. Otherwise they should simply become type 3 files. This has _nothing_ what so ever to do with day month or year.

Most problems related to extensions can be avoided by enabling the feature called "hide extensions for known filetypes". Related is that typexx files are not a known or common filetype. Which may or may not be influencing this behavior.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you really much for taking the time to reply Dile_! As I see the quality of your work you must be pretty busy so I really appreciate it! I must admit though that I didnīt quite get everything that you wrote. I donīt understand much of Pc stuff. Nevertheless I furtunately donīt have problems with my files anymore. I anyway really appreciate you taking the time. Thanks!

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.