Hey guys, newbie here

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guys, newbie here

Please, hear me out.
    My english is not that good so be patient...
    I've been drawing since i was a kid, mostly sketches and rarely anything finished, since i never tried to paint anything at all i ended up with drawings that only thougt were ok

Here is an example of what i do, the anatomy and siluette is something that im ok with (even tho is not perfect, its my style and i am very pleased with it) the problem as you can see is the bad coloring technique.
    i use photoshop 7 and at this moment i can't afford to upgrade to anything else, my method starts with drawing a rough sketch and then make a new layer that i outline with the basic color at %75, then i add the same color to the image at %50 using a soft brush, once the image is fully colored i select the lasso tool and choose what my shadows are going to be and then i use the burn tool at %50 and proceed to use thedodge tool to whatever areas need to be highligted.
    Name:  Raph.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  369.0 KB

As you can see is no masterpiece and i know i can do better, i hope you guys can critique my work and offer me some insight information on how to improve my skills.
    this drawing took me exactly 38 minutes (and 4 coors light).
    If theres somethng u think u can teach me please do so, i'm not proud of having a hobby that i don't enjoy due to the lack knowledge.
    Thanks for reading this, Salud !!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Id suggest not using burn or dodge tools to make your highlights and or shadows. You'll develop a better understanding of color, light and shadows if you do the color selecting yourself instead of letting Photoshop add its own highlights with dodge. Seems like your still learning Photoshop so forget about all the fancy tools and focus on doing everything with a hard round brush, when your comfortable with that try the soft round. Id probably try to work in full opacity as well instead of layering up the color, this will force you to think out your color choices and values. Its looking good so far nice job trying to get some texture on the skin.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Centrix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The issue is not with the tools. You simply need to practice more. This is a good start. But you basically need to practice the basics more. I'd suggest looking up the books by Andrew Loomis. Figure Drawing For All It's Worth would be a good place to start.

And as a general advice, don't use the words, "it's my style." It's usually regarded as a bad excuse for not admitting your flaws.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, I am a newbie myself, but what catches my eyes is that the shape is kind of strange, for example the hand is too big. And everything looks like it is not in the right place. In addition to that the turtle looks kind of naked. I guess it's one of the ninja turtles and from the painting it is not possible to tell which one of them it is.

Besides, the skin texture looks like it is not part of the turtle - it looks like if it was just overlayed with a color blending mode.
    In the end I think there are no values, the image looks flat.

What I can tell you from a beginner to a beginner is just to use one layer and painting everything there with the standart round brush and later on you can add layers for refinements or so called "temp-layers".

Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to a-k-m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you guys, your comments are spot on correct. I will definitely look for that book and keep practicing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way you drew his muscles/biceps are propotional correct, imo.
    As tobbA advised a suitable book for you, Andrew Loomis: Figure Drawing For All It's Worth;
    It's a great stating point to quickly gain basic principles in order to build your future characters just right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NurBoy View Post
    The way you drew his muscles/biceps are propotional correct, imo.
    As tobbA advised a suitable book for you, Andrew Loomis: Figure Drawing For All It's Worth;
    It's a great stating point to quickly gain basic principles in order to build your future characters just right.

No way are any of his arms proportionately correct. For now the only solid advice would be to practice the basics and get the Loomis book as has been suggested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a beginner myself and I looked at the Loomis books as well. It has helped me a lot. He also looks flat to me. I don't see any values it's the same value in most of him. I would see about changing that and working on your values more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys.
    Loomis is great artist, im trying to diggest as much information as possible.

Trying some diferent things, i guess from now on i'm going to work on bigger images so the details look more sharp

Name:  Hamato_zps20caec40.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  177.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's see more works from you! I see definite improvement in that last pic.

Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Step away from stylized and made-up characters for a bit (you can always come back to painting those if you want to, for fun), they are hindering your progress right now. Start drawing real things from real life. Start with simple objects, get gradually more complex, then draw from photo refs as well.

All your works show that you're not really thinking in 3D (you're just approximating the style/look of 2D images). The fastest way to learn that is to observe and draw real life.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.