Sketchbook: Camel's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Camel's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Camel's Sketchbook

Hey, I'm Camel - I had a sketchbook here like a million (read: 5) years ago, which I'm pretty sure was filled with cripplingly terrible art. But anyway, I'm trying to motivate myself to keep improving and get some critiques and advice, so I figured I'd start up again here. I'm interested in being an illustrator for children's books, but I'm having a hard time finding a...style, niche, signature, thing-about-my-art-that-I-like?

I've been dabbling in acrylic for a year or so now, but I've just recently taken up oil painting and digital painting, so I'll have a lot of that here. Anyways, hoping to keep this up this time around!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a few of my oil studies I've been doing this week - I've been focusing on improving my figures/faces and my buildings/backgrounds. Most are from photos with a couple mirror studies thrown in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here are some of my digital studies and wips for an illustration at the end.

I've been trying to figure out how to get all those pretty textures I've been seeing in other people's work, so I've been messing around with different brushes. I'm still not quite sure how to use them effectively, but hopefully I'll get the hang of them with time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was brought here by a very eye catching thumbnail. Nice work! Most people just use dual brush and choose some grungy looking brush to get those pretty textures but looks like you caught some good textures when painting the skin on that girls portrait. Daarken does a pretty good tutorial on organic looking custom brushes here if you're interested. The wips for this last illustration look promising. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Joe! That video you linked was very helpful - I hadn't tried making my own brushes before. It's kind of addicting |3
    _

I didn't have much time to be productive today, but I continued working on an oil painting, and played around with texture brushes until a baboon popped out. I kind of like the baboon, I may color him eventually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some random things from this weekend and yesterday - I had a client call late Saturday night needing a poster concept by Sunday night, so I spent most of Sunday painting that plant illustration down there. I wish I hadn't been so rushed because the more I look at it, the more I want to change about it |C

Still working on landscapes and buildings. The landscapes I'm beginning to enjoy, but I still find buildings to be a pain.

And finally, a wip of an illustration I started over the weekend. I just felt like painting a giant tiger.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.