Starsky&Hooch Guest

I need some help

hello there, I'm a student from London, leaving full-time education (highschool, sixthform, etc) in june and I want to take the next step towards becoming a professional concept artist; I know that I need to learn more, and so I want to go to art college/university. I've been rejected from two diagnostic foundation courses on the grounds of being 'too sure' about what I want to do with my art. I discovered TAD very recently, and I understand that there are centres in Austin, Texas, and a couple of other places in the US. I can't really move to America, but I think I'm right in saying the courses are online too?
    Is there anyone who can talk to me about The Art Department and maybe answer a few questions? I made a thread in the ART SCHOOLS & EDUCATION section, but I didn't get any replies. Do any of you maybe work there? Or are you former students? I'm in the danger zone here folks; I know the latest application date for many TAD courses is August, but I'm on second round applications over here.

P.S: If this post is a dupe, I'm real sorry, I think the site is bugging out a little.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm a game art with concept emphasis student in California, Laguna College of Art and Design..
    What made you come across as too sure to a point they rejected you from the courses?

I'm not sure what your diagnostic courses look like, but I know a little bit what causes students to be pushed out of our school for being too specific.... Usually it is when they are resisting courses that are not 100% gaming or concept art focused, but which will give them a good foundation to improve their art skills, and in turn their concept art skills.
    If that is the cause of being rejected, you will encounter the same in just about any school worth it's salt.

Thanks
    IMHO a 1 year generic (LEA run) Art and Design Foundation course is a no brainer.

If you're under 19 your LEA pays for it, it will sort your head out, you'll make cool things, meet cool people and have a real advantage when applying for a proper course down the road.

Don't worry about getting onto the "best" one - any course is only as good as the students that go in every day. Be one of them, talk to the others, hang around late and magic will happen.

If you're getting rejected - you're doing it wrong. Stop being old, grumpy and important !! - Just tell them: you love art, which non-concept-artists you love, how you want to expand your artistic horizons (mention printmaking) and are eager to ultimately pursue a future in illustration (yes, illustration!). (Don't worry about admission deadlines, if that looks like an issue.)

Be enthusiastic for everything, don't limit yourself - there will be two types of briefs, ones you can mould into a scifi/fantasy context and ones that test you. If they encourage you to get a bit cubist or rip up your masterpiece - go for it! Clients will ask you to do much worse.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMakesMonkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMakesMonkeys View Post
    Be enthusiastic for everything, don't limit yourself - there will be two types of briefs, ones you can mould into a scifi/fantasy context and ones that test you. If they encourage you to get a bit cubist or rip up your masterpiece - go for it! Clients will ask you to do much worse.
    Seconded.
    A foundation course will teach you a little of everything. You will have some level of flexibility to focus on your career interest while presenting to the tutor what he wants to see from you.
    What you learn from abstract schools can be valuable when creating your concepts. You have to realize that projects that fall outside of your interest are an opportunity for you to expand your repertoire.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.