C.O.W. #294. Glabrezu - VOTING!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite Glabrezu:

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • VegasMike

14 35.00%
  • Si_Swe

19 47.50%
  • Rob Powell

2 5.00%
  • ZenithDeLunaris

0 0%
  • jrbarker

1 2.50%
  • .pc

4 10.00%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #294. Glabrezu - VOTING!

Round #294 - Voting!

Topic: Glabrezu

Deadline for voting: April 24th, 2013

Requirements this week:
    - The creature must be a muscular bipedal demon
    - The creature must have four arms, two of which must end in pincers
    - The creature should have an air of authority to it

Note: Voting for oneself is prohibited. Doing so will result in your vote being subtracted from your score.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; April 18th, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Glabrezu Final

Artist: Vegasmike

Concept: Glabrezu

Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VegasMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Simon Sweetman (Si_Swe)

Concept: Greater Tanar'ri, Glabrezu

It seemed so reasonable at the time. It's eyeless face could tell no lies. I would receive cosmic power for a small favor. A small favor that toppled a kingdom and brought forth ruin onto the material plane. I have torn a void in the fabric of our world because could not differ the visage of a demon from that of an angel.

Name:  COW294-Glabrezu6.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  399.9 KB

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 650 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Rob Powell

Concept: The Mighty Glabrezu

With sharp pincers and an even sharper attitude!

Name:  Glabrezu copy.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  385.9 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ZenithDeLunaris

Concept: Bloodmaw Glabrezu

When we told him we wouldn't be making any deals with the likes of him he was no longer too keen on letting us past.

Name:  294_Glabrezu_redesign_upload.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  512.5 KB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZenithDeLunaris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cow

Artist: J.R. Barker

Concept: Glabrezu
    It's been a while since I've done one of these. It was fun!
    Name:  COW294_jrbarker_glabrezu.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  260.2 KB

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrbarker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: .pc

Concept: Glabrezu, Doom Dealer
    They deal in power. Power that would only bring about ruin.

Name:  COW294 glabrezu.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  184.0 KB

instagram
    deviantart
    sketchbook <- help me improve!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to .pc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poll is up! No cuts this week

I will try to post crits in the next two days. The new topic will be up in the next couple days as well, but I have to check with Clark if he'll be able to post (he's had some internet problems recently).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 650 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice round, was hoping for a greater showing but some neat entries from those who did enter!! Adam and Simon, you guys killed it this round!
    Anyways here are some crits and comments for the week!! I'm feeling very antsy for the next round!!!

VegasMike: Always busting out the awesome work, mate! I really like how your piece conveys a sense of pure awesome power! The arm gestures suggest maybe he's pointing at his next victim! Don't have many issues good work this week!!

Si_Swe: Awesome work dude! Probably some of the best I've seen you do! I'm liking the halo effects, it's adds something interesting to the piece without overpowering the image, it helps give the creature a very god-like essence. I don't really have anything negative to say other than it's slight resemblence to mewtwo which is only very minor. You def got my vote this time around, great work!!!

ZenithDeLunaris: Pretty cool design! Anatomy is fairly strong, really cool looking head. I'd suggest you try to render with larger brush sizes, focusing on blocking in major shapes of light and dark. Also try to work on painting the background first, transferring the colours from the background are a little easier cuz they are all ready there instead of guessing what it will look like. Lighting is a major issue here, the doorway seems quite muddy with what appears to be some greenish strokes over the yellow, also the light intesnity from the doorway and lava should be a bit greater. The red on the creature also transitions a bit awkwardly, like he's wearing something that is red, rather than being naturally coloured red.

jrbarker: Nasty looking beastie! Needs a bit more volume, and saturation to make him pop out a bit more, feels very dull, especially against the white background which overpowers the low saturated colours. I'm not quite sure what to make of the spaces in his arms and legs, seems like they don't belong there and makes the anatomy look awkward.

.pc: Very sinister looking, like he's plotting some evil plan to take over. The silhouette stands out fairly well, although i think you could add some warmer colours around his face to bring him out a bit. The anatomy of the second set of arms is a bit off to me, looks like they were stuck on and molded with clay, just to say they are there. It looks like you were halfway through rendering the claws.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it too late to enter? What happened to the extended date?

My version of a glabrezu.

I did wonder if my concept following the deceit and lies angle was a bit too anthropomorphic for a creature, but went with the concept anyway, hope its ok.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moirea, the deadline extension was extending the deadline from Tuesday the 16th, to Wednesday the 17th, so the extension came and went. I only set up the poll about 2 hours after the extended deadline had past. Sorry, man.

Oh boy. Crit time. It's been a while:

VegasMike - Great work, as always. I like the approach of it being a bulkier, wide design, rather than something more sinewy, and think that the way you've brought together chitinous, fleshy and furred textures in a way which feels organic is really impressive. Great textures, powerful and dynamic pose. There is some roughness to parts of it that affect the read, when looking at it compared to the ground around it. This piece probably would have scored my vote, but what I feel this piece lacks in terms of the brief is that sense of the malevolent intelligence. While the authority and powerful sense are there, it seems primal, where I was looking for a more subtle sense of the predatory (though that is purely personal prefence with regard to the brief).

Rob Powell - There are two things I'm really happy to see in this piece, and I think based on my previous crits you'll be able to guess what they are: Gloss textures and high saturation palette. I'm someone who struggles with high saturation reds in my work quite a bit, actually, so I always appreciate when someone is able to really take on a piece with tonnes of it. As technical crits go, I'd like to see a bit more clarity on the frontal light source. It's sort of evenly lit on the up and down, so what I might recommend for the sake of establishing focus, is to (on a clipping mask) shoot a low opacity multiplication gradient up the creature and just see how it feels. You can always mask part of the multiply layer, but I find that this really helps bring focus up to the parts of the creature you really want the viewer to look at. Nitpicks on this one are: slight inconsistency in the perspective on upper jaw (flipping your canvas regularly will help catch these things) and the secondary lighting needs a bit more polish and tonal variance (again, clipping masks are a really useful tool for making that stuff easy). I really like the textures on this one, though I'm curious: the way the specular highlights have been done makes it look like some of the scales are bubbles of air beneath the skin and his body is completely translucent plating over liquid insides. Strong work overall, big contender for my vote this week.

jrbarker - You're a big fan of fleshy palettes aren't you? There's a real sense of viscerality to the piece. My two biggest critiques would be that it looks unfinished, due to the variance in levels of attention to rendering on the different parts of the creature; the other is that I would like to see more variance in hue. The entire creature is just that one hue, with no patterning or drastic change in texture to visually break up the flow which makes it a bit too easy to take the whole thing in in one shot. Just something to consider.

ZenithDeLunaris - One thing that's really nice to see in this design is that, while bipedal, it is more reminiscent of dinosaur anatomy than of humanoids. Anatomically, I think the pincer arms are a little stubby, I would have given them a full forearm before getting to the pincer. I would also like to see more organic integration of the pincers with the creature's anatomy. My biggest piece of advice for the moment is I think my most given piece of advice in art ever: use a big brush. Because you're using a brush that's too small for the size of the object you're painting, you end up with less confident strokes because there's this criss-crossing effect that ends up muddying your details and making the light shadows look less natural. Keep it up! You've improved a lot since the first COW I saw you do.

.pc - So this piece is very nicely rendered and has some beautiful texture to it, but the real reason I'm voting for it is for personality. To me, I get the most sense of cunning and guild from this guy. The creature's style is such that it reminds me quite a bit of the animation style for stuff like Paranorman. The contrast of the saturated yellow eyes on a mostly grey-blue palette is really a strong point for the piece and gives it focus on the creature's face, which is the strong point of the piece, which allows some of the roughness of the brushwork on the torso and legs to fade into the periphery.

Moirae - I very much like the composition you've chosen for the piece and it was an ambitious one to tackle. The thing you need to work on right now is edge control, all of your edges are a little blurred and unclear. Try to avoid using black for shadows as it has a tendency to flatten images. Instead, try to work more with the contrast of warm versus cool to establish light and shadow. And, as always, use a bigger brush, otherwise you're brushwork looks a little muddy.

Cheers, hope those help in some way!

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the helpful crit Simon. I think an eye with a pupil would have made him look more intelligent, malevolent. Great seeing your work!

Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to VegasMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,872 Times in 419 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Totally forgot to submit! Haha, I'm an idiot. Great job guys. Really impressed with the majority of these.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, I had my time differences mixed up.
    Thank you for your advice though, (that's all I'm really after anyway).

Should I delete my post?

Members who have read this thread: 2