The basic forms - am I doing it right?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The basic forms - am I doing it right?

Hi!

I tried to draw a sphere, a box, a cone and a cylinder in the same space. Tools: charcoal, white chalk and toned paper.

The first one was drawn without any reference, but I looked at some reference before drawing the other two.
    Things I thought about during the process: core shadow, cast shadow, highlight, reflected light, highlight on edges and gradation on a flat surface.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong, like the value changes or the placement and shapes of shadows? Let me know, thanks!

Name:  basics crop.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  484.5 KB
    Name:  basics_0001 crop2.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  335.6 KB
    Name:  basics_0002 crop2.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  336.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. Best to draw while you have three dimensional reference in front of you; it's an important part of the exercise (learning to collapse three dimensions into two). But these are nice looking drawings with attractive charcoal marks.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cube on the last one looks like it is an open box, but in the other ones is closed. If this is the case, perfectly done, if not, shadow and light are misplaced.

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Stoat: Yeah, I guess I should do some still life studies of these shapes. Thanks for the comment. BTW, love your sketchbook!
    @ Quike Garcia: Yes, the last cube is supposed to be an open box. I guess I did well then. Thanks for your comment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty good; I think you could push it a bit further if you wanted to. Definitely have a set-up in front of you while doing these. I think you could refine the shapes more; they are a bit wobbly in some places especially your sphere and cones. Try to have more of a smooth gradation for your shadows. You can do this by sharpening your charcoal and going over your shadows over and over again until you have smoother values. It's tedious but it's good practice. Have a reference photo of a perfectly drawn shadow sphere or whatever next to you too just to see what you should be aiming for (but don't copy it!).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rex-craft7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ rex-craft7: You make some good points there. I think I was a bit careless about the shapes and focused more on the light vs shadow thing. Maybe I should even lay down a perspective grid and draw the objects more carefully. I did the gradation of the shadows mostly by blending the charcoal with my finger or a piece of soft paper. I might try doing it by building up the tones. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 4