Mucha meets Game of Thrones

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mucha meets Game of Thrones

After finally watching season 2 on DVD i decided to do an homage to Game of Thrones. Rather than recreate the characters or costumes I'd take inspiration from my favourite quote of the season, Tyrion Lannister's :

"The Fire God wants you burnt, The Water God wants his enemies drowned. Why are all the gods such vicious c*nts? Where is the god of tits and wine?"

Here's a preparatory idea sketch for the general layout. The intention is to have the quote running around the circle area of the layout:
    Name:  IMAG0250.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  71.1 KB

This is the figure layout light sketch, which i'll drawing off for studies of the head ( i have a few ideas for this rather than the hastily thrown in crown), hands and feet details. The chair is also in as a positional at the moment, it needs some perspective tuning as it's made up and not from reference. I'm also going to work up the detailing on it's carving as some studies. I shot some reference material to extrapolate from for the figure, but would love some feedback on the anatomy and ideas so far.
    Name:  DSCF1094.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  253.9 KB

Anyhoooo hit me up with comments good or bad

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This does fit mucha's style so far. The figure is okay, but her face is a problem. Mostly just proportions. I suggest finding pretty lady reference and studying measurements.

Her eyes are too big and wide. A good rule to fix this is there should be enough room for a third eye between the two and an eye on either side.

Either her nose is too high or her mouth is too low. I know her jaw line is too high.

Her hands are too big. It makes you search for an adam's apple. I like the gestures so far though.

The legs of her chair are off perspective.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Raoul. Yes the perspective on the chair is out, i just wanted it on for posting here, so that she wasnt floating in mid air and you got more of an idea of the perspective. I'll look at the hands, i deliberately made her left one bigger as it's higher and closer to the viewer but probably overcooked it. Looking at it now, there's an imbalance in the sizes of the arms too, thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a great idea my man. I hope you can bring the sort of airy pastel type palette to this piece that Mucha has. And remember to outline the woman.

Sketchbooks:
    Virtual Sprite - New
    Cali to SC, The Joshua Hollis Story - Old

W.I.P. Threads:
    By Crom! - Done

7. The Following User Says Thank You to J.R.Hollis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this, a great idea and the fact that you've given her normal looking breasts and hips is even cooler!

D'Arcy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to justa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers Joshua and D'Arcy! Colouring you say? Hey one step at a time! ;-) Yeah line work (and a nice colour palette) will be key in this.. ok a quick head study, propotion wise it's better (though that nose may still be too short) still not happy with the eyes and need to get a bit more expression into it.

Name:  DSCF1100.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  44.8 KB
    /sorry for the crappy image quality, it's late.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OKay, here's an update: first a few quick studies for hands feet and faces.

Name:  DSCF1105.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  107.1 KB

And worked up into the next stage of the figure. I worked over the original by sketching on marker paper to make it easier, hence the crinkly paper. It'll be a longer clean up job when I colour in PS but I find it a much easier way of versioning when constructing the image. I'm not happy with the face, i ended up working over it so much that it kinda looks like her features are slipping all over the place like a wax doll too near the fire. I'll work that part up again a couple of times i think. Then it's outlining and detailing the chair and then the background!

Name:  DSCF1101.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  100.2 KB

Last edited by markscholey; April 5th, 2013 at 07:18 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.