Newbie - Looking for critique and general art-related help *Updated April 13*

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newbie - Looking for critique and general art-related help *Updated April 13*

Hey Conceptart.org community!

I'd appreciate some critique on these 2 unfinished drawings that I did a while back, I've only worked on 3 in total (1 of which was in ms paint), so I'm an absolute noob when it comes to art (I guess the drawings speak for themselves). I'm trying to advance myself as an artist, right now I'm studying anatomy, perspective and composition and I do see some improvement in pencil and paper sketches, but there's another problem - whenever I try to draw using a tablet - I go back to my "ms paint" technique of drawing the outlines or lineart and then just filling it with colours, as if my perception has improved, but the technique has stagnated.

Right now my workflow goes something like this:

Lineart -> Filling in the lineart with colour -> More lineart -> attempts at shading -> details

Any suggestions on how to improve my technique - guides, tutorials, books, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  warhammerfanart1.png
Views: 295
Size:  480.2 KBName:  dota2project.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  441.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You've already stated your own problem. I understand rushing into digital and wanting to be able to render epically is something you're striving for (particularly now when a lot of great artists are doing digital work) but it's not going to help you understand how color and light work any better. If you find traditional easier to work with, then use that to improve your knowledge first. Look up "Color and Light, a Guide for the Realist Painter" by James Gurney and keep practicing perspective, structure and anatomy .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'll bet I point somebody to this thread at least once a day. It's a really great way to get started with digital. Scroll down and look at the pictures first, then give it a shot.

As an adjunct to your pencil-and-paper studies, of course. It's easier to learn the fundamentals the old fashioned way, but you have to start somewhere with digital.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "You've already stated your own problem. I understand rushing into digital and wanting to be able to render epically is something you're striving for (particularly now when a lot of great artists are doing digital work) but it's not going to help you understand how color and light work any better. If you find traditional easier to work with, then use that to improve your knowledge first. Look up "Color and Light, a Guide for the Realist Painter" by James Gurney and keep practicing perspective, structure and anatomy."

Thanks a lot for the book, I'll definitely check it out and will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I'll bet I point somebody to this thread at least once a day. It's a really great way to get started with digital. Scroll down and look at the pictures first, then give it a shot.

As an adjunct to your pencil-and-paper studies, of course. It's easier to learn the fundamentals the old fashioned way, but you have to start somewhere with digital.
    Heh, blending is the thing I'm looking for without me even knowing it - thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty solid advice in this thread; Perspective, shapes anatomy and structure, but also think of composition..
    I thought I'd try to do a quick redline(I probably shouldn't be doing redlines, and someone will probably chime in later on about this)
    hopefully though you can get something from it..
    Name:  warhammerfanart1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  244.4 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to darnis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darnis View Post
    Pretty solid advice in this thread; Perspective, shapes anatomy and structure, but also think of composition..
    I thought I'd try to do a quick redline(I probably shouldn't be doing redlines, and someone will probably chime in later on about this)
    hopefully though you can get something from it..
    Nice, it does look alot more natural and now I see that my drawing looks kinda flat and depthless(?). I think it's far too late to fix it now, though I will keep that in mind for future drawings, thanks! Oh and what's so bad about redlines?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to put some of the things I've learned to use. I'd appreciate any critique on this sketch I'm currently working on. Ty!

Name:  cowboyshootoutgreyscale1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  467.8 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.