Sketchbook: Johannes's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Johannes's Sketchbook

Hi all

My name is Johannes and I have recently finished up my degree in graphic design. However over time on my course my interest in design slowly faded and has now shifted towards concept art.
    So after a long time of lurking around on CA iv'e finally decided to actually start posting here. Starting with this sketchbook I now start the learning process again as a wannabe concept artist.

Below is some character stuff I've done over the past few months. You may notice some these are based around ideas from recent character challenge threads here on CA such as the guardian of the stairway to heaven. Now that I've actually got of my ass and started using my account here I will make sure to actually post in these threads. The rest of the characters where just done for practice/fun.

To help improve myself I've started taking figure drawing ever Wednesday and I've begun working through Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life, Ill start posting up my figures after the next session.

Of course all critiques and comments are greatly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some work I did yesterday.

The rocks are photo studies, I'm looking at doing a bunch more photo studies of small environments and scenes over the next few weeks. At the moment I think environment stuff is a major week spot for me so ill try to keep at it.

The figures are from my figuring drawing class they where 10-15mins those figures. Unfortunately I cant upload more of my figures as I tend to draw rather large at figure practice. Maybe I should try taking photos or just leave the large ones be.

Name:  figure.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  263.2 KBName:  photo ref practice.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  180.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These figures are from Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life I'm slowly going through drawing everything up to page 50 at the moment

Name:  Bridgmanns.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  227.1 KB

Most of my figures from my last figure drawing session

Name:  figure-drawing.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  218.4 KB

The last couple pages from my sketchbook

Name:  sketchbook-sketches.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  373.3 KB

I started doing this painting recently to try put into practice some of things I had learnt looking at environments so far.

Name:  Nissia-and-elanor-running2.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  329.3 KB

Environment photo colour study

Name:  Colour-study.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  190.5 KB

I'm going to try keep these up every day. The main idea was to help me learn about colour picking and values in enviroments

Name:  Greyscale-tests.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  352.7 KB

Name:  enviroment-colourr.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  381.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello and welcome to CA!
    You have a fantastic start on your SB here, loving the character designs and enviro studies! they look fantabulous!
    afraid i dont have much crits to give, your studies and figures looks really great, and loving your use of colors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with rumpenstiltzkin, this is an excellent start! Your studies really good. You are definitely doing all the right stuff to improve. Just keep working at it and build up tht mileage!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks rumpenstiltzkin and chevy28360 your encouragement helps a lot.

Haven't posted in awhile as I've been absorbed in a competition with a friend, to see who can fill the most anatomy A4 Pages. Up to page 37 at the moment over 12 days of drawing, some examples of that are attached below as well as some other studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Below is my pickpocket character design that was for a character of the week challenge a few weeks back, I wasn't able to finish in time due to work coming up unfortunatly. Also a painting of a witch I did quickly, I'm not to fond of her so I'll leave that painting there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so a bit of gap between posts here. With Ca kinda going down a bit over the past 2 months and me having a lot on I kinda got slack on updating my sketchbook. But that doesn't mean i have been slacking on actually doing the drawing. Below is what I'm currently working on Its a mock up poster for the my story called the Knights of The Fae. The book doesn't actually exists this is just for fun. I'm going to go through and build this up in grey scale as the idea of tackling this in colour first is kinda scary.
    Name:  Knights-of-the-fae.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  204.5 KB

These are two prints/paintings i have done over the past 2months. At the moment I'm having to create a bunch of finished art to take with me to a convention later this year. Its been good practice having to create these finished pieces of art and have currently finished 4 and am working on another 2 at the moment. Although I have a hard time calling these things finished as i keep going back to them and changing them as i learn new things and see things wrong with them.

Name:  succubus.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  120.9 KBName:  UnderwaterGirl.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  300.8 KB

And of course I'm still trying to keep up doing some studies, although I have been slacking on them recently. Same thing as with my traditional sketchbook which hasn't got as much love as it used too. So I'm going to get more strict on the studies and hopefully have some more to put up here soon.

Name:  fish-studys.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  167.6 KBName:  Sketches.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  200.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Over the past week I did a bit of painting, though not as much as i would have liked. Due to me focusing on some other more design orientated projects.

I'm going to go back to the cat girl still, tidy up and finish of some small things like her shoes and shadow.

Name:  skeleton-studies.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  84.3 KBName:  cat-girl.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  58.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cat girl's pose looks a bit stiff, also the hands are a touch too small, perhaps

I'm LOVING the pencil sketches in the previous post, they are so full of life.

Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks freakmod, I agree about the cat girl. Ill have a bit of a play around with her a bit later. I'm glad you like my sketches as well, they are probably my least favourite thing i do, haha.

So this week I've been doing a lot more studies. These are the past two days of studies ive done and in the past hour I've recently started working on a piece of fan art of gum from Jet Set Radio. Name:  Study.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  358.5 KBName:  Jet-Set-Radio.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  160.7 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.