C.O.W. #293. Oretox Songbird - Voting!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite Oretox Songbird:

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • hutchi13

18 52.94%
  • joey-b

2 5.88%
  • Moirae

0 0%
  • Matias

1 2.94%
  • Sushy

0 0%
  • VegasMike

5 14.71%
  • Sandyman

1 2.94%
  • EricaZann

0 0%
  • scorge

7 20.59%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #293. Oretox Songbird - Voting!

Round #293 - Voting!

Topic: Oretox Songbird

Deadline for voting: April 11th, 2013

Round Requirements:
    - The creature must be capable of making a large range of (loud) sounds different ways.
    - The creature must reside in a “mineral forest” whatever your definition of that may be.

Note: Just reminder that voting for oneself is not permitted. Doing so will result in your vote being subtracted from your total.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; April 4th, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oretox Songbird

Artist: hutchi13

Concept: Oretox Songbird
    The Oretox Songbird is a gigantic 40 metre high organism that is specially adapted to living within the dense mineral forest that covers the planet's surface. Its name was given due to its many nasal openings being shaped like musical notes, along with its somewhat bird like appearance, and its ability to produce thousands of different calls. The main call produced by the Oretox Songbird is a very low but very loud growl, which causes vibrations amongst the forest, shaking the tiny mineral based lifeforms from the high canopies. These are then ingested by the giant creature, using its tentacles to lap up the organisms as they fall. It can also inhale them and still process the food the same way. Like our giant whales, it is a gentle filter feeder. The biology of mineral forest itself is very comparable to earths coral reefs, with lifeforms forming the outer skeleton, which is very rich in calcium. The Oretox Songbird has several hundred resinating chambers and thousands of vocal chords, which gives it the amazing ability to create many different sounds at the same time. It is speculated that this is a form of communication between the species, perhaps even a language as they show signs of high intelligence similar to elephants. It is also believed that they simply sing for the fun of it, along with using their vocals in courtship rituals.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hutchi13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Joey-B

Concept: Oretox

Oretox makes sounds by using the trumpets on its head.
    to make the mimiking sounds more realistic,
    it can also use the rattlesnake like attachments at the end of its tail feathers.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joey-b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Song bird

My first entry into the creature of the week contest.

A hefty genus of the avian family, it has long since lost the use of flight and much of its plumage. As such, it has developed a series of decoy calls which it controls through the protrusions on its back. By imitating various warning or mating calls it can effectively clear rivals from its feeding grounds, or in lean times attract them for meat.
    Prolonged contact with humanoids has had it develop a human face on the end of its tail, and is capable of storing and repeating up to 100 different words.

As I said, I am new to this forum, and hope everything is within the rules and the quality is ok. ( I shall be using the WIP thread next time though.)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Matias

Concept: Oretex Songbird
    The beautiful sounds of the Oretex Songbird echoed through the mineral forests, haunting melodies mixed with hoots, honks and whistles confused the first biologists to document the fauna of Oretex. The songbird was very common, being discovered first and attributed the annoying honks and whistles heard in the mineral forest, then dismissed and reviled. So began the lengthy search for the elusive 'Songbird' that produced the melodies that reverberated through the dense mineral forest, to no avail. Finally a young research assistant, tasked with caring for the Oretex Songbird specimens(at the time referred to as the bird-toad) grew fond of 'Binky', a young Songbird, and was treated to the Oretex Songbird's beautiful song. Honks, hoots and whistles, where warning and distress calls, not until Binky was relaxed and comfortable with the research assistant would she sing, ending the mystery.
    Name:  CoW#293_Matias_Final.JPG
Views: 1129
Size:  110.0 KB

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to matias For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Sushy

Concept: Mineral Songbird
    The Mineral Songbird likes to build its nests in great piles of minerals. And with their enlargened throat muscles they can sing very loud. They can also make noise with those little things on the beak.

Name:  mineral_songbird_2013.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  180.8 KB

(idk just finished this very close to deadline)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Vegasmike

Concept: Oretox Song Bird

The Oretox Song Bird can create sound waves that resonate at incredible frequencies. The song bird's unique crest has the ability to vocalize the entire spectrum of sound. It can create various sounds at once using its entire body! The wings are used to vibrate and direct the sounds in all directions in search of a mate. The male is extremely colorful compared to the female...they use their plumage as a visual display in sync with the sounds it creates. This audio, visual display is quite a sight to behold! A few members of our team became hypnotized while watching, resulting in hallucinations...This magnificent creature resides in the mineral forest, pecking away at the branches for nutrients and building a suitable nest. The hollowed out branches only reverberate the sounds making it incredibly loud. The most dominant males incorporate their territory into the display!

Name:  Song-Bird.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  493.5 KB

Last edited by VegasMike; April 3rd, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VegasMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: SandyMan

The Oretox songbird, scientifically known as the Avis Cantor Mineralium, is a rare type of avian species that lives deep within environments of dense clusters of crystals, otherwise known as ''Mineral forests''. The nature of these environments don't allow for varied fauna, but this peculiar creature's innate abilities let it thrive without any other predatory competition. An organ on the tip of it's tail has high sensitivity to sound, which allows the songbird to ''record'' sounds. Most of it's bones are hollow and partially fused at certain points, recreating an intricate system of wind pipes, and it uses the humongous vocal sack it carries to create and amplify the sounds it remembers, which exit through the hollow, fleshy protuberances on the ends of it's wings.

Using it's sonic abilities, the songbird can both attract or repel other species to it by using their own sounds at higher, lower or modified frequencies. This way, it tricks all potential competition and keeps the upper hand. When songbirds needs to feed themselves, they pump out incredibly loud blasts of sound which are strong enough to crack open crystals, which they then smash with their rock-hard scalp in order to find minerals which are nutrients to them.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Erica Zann

In addition to the more recognizable screams and squawks that a bird of prey makes, the Oretox Songbird is also
    outfitted with a tail rattle. It is used for warning others as well as being used in a unique manner similar to
    a tuning fork; this rattle/sounding device is used to sound mineral growths (both on the ground and on its own wings).
    These mineral growths extending from the songbirds bone structure and beyond its feathers are how it is able to
    produce the vast majority of the diverse sounds known to come from the species.

It was assumed that these sounds were used primarily for mating purposes, however having recently been observed
    gathering in large groups where a certain number of songbirds played in conjunction before the remaining audience;
    there is a growing consensus among researchers backing the astounding claim that the songbird is actually a composer
    of extraordinary intelligence.

Name:  O_SBIR_FIN.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  204.2 KB

Sketchbook

"Just as the invention of a new musical instrument changes the whole sensibility of an era, the phenomenon of light can, due to current scientific process, among other things, become the tool for the new artist"

-Marcel Duchamp

18. The Following User Says Thank You to EricaZann For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 423 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: scorge

A master of deception, and an unparalleled mimic, the Oretox Songbird is one of the most unique creatures found in the universe. Its vocal range is extraordinary enough, but when used in conjunction with the acoustic resonance deep in the hollows of crystal trees, this medium sized bird, (about the same size an an earth crow), can mimic and at one time even create all of the sounds made throughout the crystal forest. Whether they be the rushing torrents of the crystal river, the predatory Gatnix with its bellowing roar, or even the slight and ever so hard to catch Nimbleinas butterfly, with its barely audible squeaks, there is no match for this champion of the sounds of its home planet.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Poll is now up! No cuts this week. Great job to all participants.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 423 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Voted V.Mike. Love those colors and so much attitude without even uttering a sound. Great job dude.
    Close second to Hutchi, who appears to be racing towards the first invisible star! Love the concept, but I've seen the creature's like too many times, especially in my own nightmares. Congrats to you on an inspirational entry.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

23. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 652 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice round guys! hutchi13 got my vote while VegasMike got a close second!
    Rather than say I'll do some crits at a later time and then never do them, I'll just do some crits right now!!!

hutchi13: Very nice work! And welcome to cow, looking forward to seeing more of your work in future! Only real critique I could give is that maybe darken the creature up a bit to make it's silhouette stand out a bit more from the background. Overall a really creative design, got my vote this time around!

joey-b: Very interesting composition here. However I'm not too fond of the black background, I think it may have worked just as well if you left that white instead, while adding more to the trees around the edges to frame your critters. I'm liking these traditional paintings your submitting! They have a very plesent style!

Moirae
    : Very siren-like concept. This could use a bit more saturated colours overall, also giving it a bit more atmospheric separation for it's tail and, back mouths thingies...Perhaps also a more dynamic angle would've helped convey the concept better.

matias: very cool design, like a Jabba the hut-pelican hybrid. I think you could've pushed a few things further in your design though, such as a skin patterning and maybe even a crest of some kind to break up the silhouette a bit.

Sushy: I think your creature should first of be a bit more centered on the image. on the lower half there is not much going on other than the mineral/crystal spires. This will save you time from painting a lot in an area that isn't part of the focal areas. Doing some studies and referencing don't hurt either. Keep up the good work!

VegasMike: Easy second placer for this round! Lots of lovely colours and spikes and stuff everywhere. It does however start to look a little busy, but I think if the image was a bit less cropped it may look a bit less cropped it may free up some room. Always a pleasure seeing you kick ass, mate!

SandyMan: At first I didn't notice the little dude at the bottom left, since this is a much bigger specimen, a lower angle may help convey it's scale. Putting the horizon line much lower will give the sense that we are looking up at the creature rather that floating a fair ways from it.

EricaZann: Neat style you've got. I think the design, could use a bit more work, seems nothing more than a bird with a snake like body. try to experiment with other parts as well, how would it look with horns, or with an extra pair of eyes, or no eyes at all. Creating silhouettes is a popular technique for creating quick design ideas.

scorge: Truth be told I'm much prefered the other concept you posted earlier in the wips thread. Still a great image nevertheless. Not too sure about the feathers in the background however, I feel they may be a bit distracting from the rest of the image.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for VegasMike really loved it, scrolling down as soon as I hit it was like 'yup, that's it!' really dynamic!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to matias For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went with VegasMike in the end. Really like the feel I get from the image. Kinda like a Montezuma head dress, Mayan feel to it. Very majestic! I must say I really liked matias and scorge also! Was very close. Great work!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to hutchi13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hutchi13: Welcome! Always good to see new talent...you get my vote for thinking outside the box. The creature design is unique and I'm a sucker for large beasties!

joey-b: I enjoy the composition being framed by the art itself...I would push the crest design and colors a bit.

Moirae: Welcome to COW! Very interesting concept...gather some reference next time to help you visualize certain features

matias: awesome! The creature has a solid weighty render to it...I think a third color could be introduced as an accent...maybe orange eyes or tongue.

Sushy: I like the idea! Look to nature to help inform your design. A reference photo of the inside of a birds wing would really help here.

SandyMan: Nice use of colors. The creature could use a bit more flare...seems to get lost in the background near the right...blur that background and push it back!

EricaZann: Take what you have and mix it up a bit...maybe the snake can be incorporated in the head design...perhaps add snake patterns into the feathers...push the design.

scorge: You sexy bitch! Don't you have enough COW victories? I like both versions, your colors are so juicy, always a pleasure.

Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VegasMike For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2